Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Currently my TQ and UQ just get stuffed in the pack (lined with trash bag) then hammock in stuff sack and tarp in stuff sack. After that no other gear goes in stuff sacks. It all goes in my gear organize pockets then shoved down in the pack. Certain things go in ziplock bags though.

I've tried the all in one, hammock and quilts shoved in there because the way the UQ would get all twisted and funny like and it was tough to get corrected quickly at night. But I never thought of putting the UQ in the hammock, may give that a try.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    I have used that method of stuffing all (except tarp, ridge line and guy lines) in one (compress) 'blackbishopped' stuffbag.

Speer, Peapod, TQ in a 'blackbishopped' bag or my HH, UQ and sleeping bag in that blackbishopped bag.

Gave up on that idea since traveling took me thru jungles where I didn't need that isolation and things needed to be packed waterproof (rain, flooding canoes,....). And wet suspension gear was still attached too....

Since I wanted to keep things organized, waterproofed and relatively the same, no matter what the destination.

I now use one S2S dry bag for the hammock and one or two (depending on expected temps) S2S dry bag for insulation. Another one for dry clothes. The 'kitchen' can get wet so that is in another stuff bag....Same for the suspension kit (now tree huggers, whoopieslings and two carabiners).

But try it out (the all in one bag). It can work and you might like it. HYOH ;-)

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by obmit View Post
    Sounds like a good idea. Give it a test run one day and see how it works for you.
    I think it could be worth trying. I have done it with just the quilts so far

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Many folks do just what you describe with great results. I pack my WBBB, UQ (still attached) and suspension in a large stuff sack that has a hole in the bottom to make it a BishopBag. It does not completely fill the stuff sack. Then I put it in the bottom of the pack and compress it by adding my other gear on top. Works great and I can usually compress "just a little more" when I need by pushing down on the gear in the top of the pack.
    Yeah I was thinking that it would then only compress as much as it needs to for the pack to still be "full"

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbaby View Post
    This is an interesting topic. Maybe one of the more experienced guys could do a video on how to pack using their hammock gear. Everyone likes to show what's in their pack as it comes out. Maybe do that in reverse. Just an idea.
    Well I was thinking the same, after re-looking at the packing vids I cant see that anyone shows it....? sounds like its a happening thing but.

Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    Something like this?
    For sure, I had not seen these before. As a extra, in wet times the slug could stay packed but suspended so extra room under the tarp is available.

Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    I flip my UQ inside my hammock along with the TQ and then stuff the entire thing into a turkey roaster bag in the bottom of my pack. I squish out as much air as I can then gooseneck the turkey bag and tuck it under itself (not a true knot, but it will hold well especially with other stuff on top). Those roaster bags are really strong stuff.
    Thanks for the roaster bag tip... I'll grab some and give the a go.

Quote Originally Posted by REV View Post
    i believe in the member section there is a video by watermonkey about what he takes and how he packs.

this thread might get moves, since its borederline not hammocks. but i think if its kept to just how to contain the hammock and related, then it should be ok.

that said, i dont use compression sacks for the opposite of what most people think. when i took the moped trip, i found out that compression sacks turned into little balls of odd shapes, and there were gaps where they were these tight little wads. so i leave the squishable stuff mostly loose (as tight as i can pack them in their original packaging) that way as im adding things, they can compress and "form fit" the other stuff. but i also have a small section on my pack (i think its the sleeping bag pocket) that holds my frogg toggs, Superfly and WBBB, leaving the main open.
    hehe I was thinking as i posted that it may get moved... did what i could with the title Agree with stuff sacks creating air gaps in the pack, it was not being able to get the sacks fitting perfectly that lead me to this option, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Now you've got it figured out! I have used separate snake skins for the tarp and HH plus undercover, and that works great also. However, I am real fond of stuffing EVERYTHING except tarp either into one stuff sack
    or dry bag ( and strapped onto a MMpack) as was done here:

OR just stuffed down into my pack as was done here:

I have also stuffed an entire Claytor No Net hammock plus an attached PeaPod into one dry sack, which also worked well, but no pics of that.

Here is a possible drawback. If your suspension is well soaked from an all night rain, you won't want to stuff that wet stuff into the bag with your quilts. So, you will either need to be able to remove the wet straps, or stuff the hammock/quilts in such a way that the suspension on both ends remains outside.
    Good call with the wet suspension... I'm now thinking about a smaller bag that the lines are in, still attached but seperate

Quote Originally Posted by thexuprising View Post
    Currently my TQ and UQ just get stuffed in the pack (lined with trash bag) then hammock in stuff sack and tarp in stuff sack. After that no other gear goes in stuff sacks. It all goes in my gear organize pockets then shoved down in the pack. Certain things go in ziplock bags though.

I've tried the all in one, hammock and quilts shoved in there because the way the UQ would get all twisted and funny like and it was tough to get corrected quickly at night. But I never thought of putting the UQ in the hammock, may give that a try.
    I'm looking to move away from the stuff sacks also... baby steps. With the UQ tangle, I may try to put the hammock and tq onto the uq, fold over the uq edges and place in bag. I'll see if it tangles and let you know how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by born2roam View Post
    I have used that method of stuffing all (except tarp, ridge line and guy lines) in one (compress) 'blackbishopped' stuffbag.

Speer, Peapod, TQ in a 'blackbishopped' bag or my HH, UQ and sleeping bag in that blackbishopped bag.

Gave up on that idea since traveling took me thru jungles where I didn't need that isolation and things needed to be packed waterproof (rain, flooding canoes,....). And wet suspension gear was still attached too....

Since I wanted to keep things organized, waterproofed and relatively the same, no matter what the destination.

I now use one S2S dry bag for the hammock and one or two (depending on expected temps) S2S dry bag for insulation. Another one for dry clothes. The 'kitchen' can get wet so that is in another stuff bag....Same for the suspension kit (now tree huggers, whoopieslings and two carabiners).

But try it out (the all in one bag). It can work and you might like it. HYOH ;-)

Grtz Johan
    Thanks to all, I will test it out and let you know how it goes for me....

Images
    What about long term storage? Would you then have to take everything out and unhook to reloft? My bro and I were just thinking about this the other weekend.

I would think as with all sleeping bags or lofted items it would be best to store them uncompressed, so as to not lose the loft

Images
    with my backpack i just stuff it in. down booties first (souls down), then hammock with underquilt still attached, then top quilt (as it is wearable) clothes in stuff sack (thats my pillow), food in stuff sack to bear bag, on top; rain gear, mittens, lunch. tarp in a mesh bag on the outside of pack.
    PS i use a 3 mil. trash bag liner.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Traveller,Speer,BIAS,Hennessy Asym.
    Tarp
    OES Strd, OES Wint
    Insulation
    HG Full length.
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    Images
    Like others, I pack all my down at the bottom, without a stuffsack. Then my extra clothes.
    My hammock is in a bishop bag I made, and my tarp in some tarp sleeves i made. Food is heavy and in a stuffsack or other bag in near the top.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hi Lepmeister.
    Before reading your post I would pack down each piece of the setup separately in one big waterproof stuff sack inside the ULA Ohm.
    But your post inspired me to experiment with packing it all down as one piece.
    Seems to be the way that I will pack my gear in the future.
    Best,
    Blaze

Video
    Last edited by BlazeAway; 08-18-2011 at 02:59.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mtinaz View Post
    What about long term storage? Would you then have to take everything out and unhook to reloft? My bro and I were just thinking about this the other weekend.
    I normally hang my insulation to air dry for a day [or two] in the house (or outside if the weather permits me) and then lay it on the attic to keep it lofty.

Lots of room (horizontally) and easy to get the pack together again.

Feels like the isles of a supermarket:
    This Isle is for hammocking, this one for tipi, this for canoeing, this ...

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    Hi Lepmeister.
    Before reading your post I would pack down each piece of the setup separately in one big waterproof stuff sack inside the ULA Ohm.
    But your post inspired me to experiment with packing it all down as one piece.
    Seems to be the way that I will pack my gear in the future.
    Best,
    Blaze

Video
    I'm very impressed, BlazeAway! Nicely done video. I never would have thought that all that insulation and hammock would go into an Ohm with room to spare! Good demonstration.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast