This place is GREAT!!! I finally signed up so that I could ask some questions. Everyone has been very helpful and incredibly nice, and welcoming! Thank you!

Twelve years ago I went to Brazil and slept in a hammock for a good part of that month. We were warned not to sleep in beds because of bed bugs. I bought a hammock, and all of the inns and private homes I stayed in had hooks everywhere (many didn't even have beds). I was converted.

A few years later, we started going on long canoe trips and camping overnight. I was young and did not have the small, lightweight gear for that sort of thing, so I took my hammock and some straps. It worked well enough.

I was randomly looking for a better way to hang a few years back and found this forum. AMAZING!!! I wish I would have known all along! I always just hoped that it would not rain...and sometimes it did.

Now I have collected some gear and a rainfly, and am in the process of making whoopie slings. I have to admit, the most comfortable hammock is still my first cotton cloth double from Brazil and for short trips, she is still my first choice.