Hammock
    Cheap parachute type
    Tarp
    McCat
    Insulation
    Speer's UQ
    Suspension
    Depends on hammock
    Speaking of using biners...On my HH I attach a biner to each tree hugger which is wrapped like the pix above in headchange4u's first post with one loop of the tree hugger going through the other loop and then cinched. Make sure the open end of the biner gate is facing the hammock and the hinged end of the biner is towards the tree. Then wrap several (3 to 4)figure eights of the suspension rope using the clip. Tie it off with a slippery half hitch. It's a pretty quick set up and hasn't slipped on me yet. The clip on the biner allows for easy adjustments and a quick release when breaking camp. It's easier than trying to go through the loops of the tree hugger with the rope...especially when it's a little cold and the fingers aren't working. The biners also give me a place to clip ditty bags, etc. You could probably get away with shorter ropes since you're not doubling back to a ring.
    Riverwolf

"TOWANDA!!!!!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Here's my version for my Hennessy setups...

I use the JRB Tri-glide w long webbing 'kit'; it allows for different tree girths. I place the 'biner (Camp Nano 23, natch) through the loop end of the webbing and run the Spectra cord from the point the wrap leaves the descending ring to the 'biner and back again a couple 'o times, with the obligatory double half-hitch at the ring to finish it off. Doesn't take long to set up and it's ROCK SOLID.

I must admit however, to an obsessive need to over-engineer some things just on principle...
    Last edited by Rilmoigan; 12-27-2009 at 22:10. Reason: Wanted to add the half-hitch to be clear...
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    HC4U. thanks for the ideas. I love how simple your system is. And, as you said, it ought to work with the stock HH lines (though I am going to play with whoopie slings, and try out your idea with some Amsteel too). Thanks again for the great tutorial.

All i do for my suspension is tie two trucker hitches on each end of the line. Works very good!

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Danger Will Robinson!!!!

Am I missing something?

Seems to me that if you have a setup that DOES NOT have a continuous ridgeline made of high-strengh cordage that you risk putting unacceptable stress on the hammock by using a high-tension trucker's hitch rig. Back in the old days I hung my HH too tightly, and blew out the lightweight ridgeline and tore some fabric at teh bottom entrance.

Jim

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Truckers Hitch

I'm new to this Hammocking thing so please bare (BEAR) with me. Is there is some advantage to adding all these gadets to the suspension systems? Is it just for speed of set-up or is there another reason?? If I simply tie two truckers hitches with quick-release knots, without any hardware, am I doing the same thing as whats being shown on this thread? Do the knots reduce the strength of the rope or am I missing something else?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishpig View Post
    I'm new to this Hammocking thing so please bare (BEAR) with me. Is there is some advantage to adding all these gadets to the suspension systems? Is it just for speed of set-up or is there another reason?? If I simply tie two truckers hitches with quick-release knots, without any hardware, am I doing the same thing as whats being shown on this thread? Do the knots reduce the strength of the rope or am I missing something else?
    Knots do weaken the strength of a cord, but when you use cord that's rated to 2000 lbs and you lose 50%...no big deal.

folks like to fiddle with things...one consideration in the cooler months is whether you can set up / take down with your mittens on.

I like the trucker's hitch, but have found that with the slippery Amsteel cord I use the anchors collapse under load and there's a fair bit of tugging to get it undone. One way to dodge that bullet is to thread your cord through a strong ring 3 or 4 times and that serves as the anchor. Surprisingly that ring doesn't move. All this and more in some videos I did a while back, "Primers" on various types of hammock suspensions.

Me I've taken to putting a Marlin spike hitch on the webbing, place over that a loop of cord that's girth-hitched to a ring, then bring the cord from the hammock to the ring and tie it off with a slippery buntline hitch. Efficient use of cord.

Got to take my mittens off though
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Clark NX150, HH DJ Zip XL
    Tarp
    Clark Camo
    Insulation
    TQ UQ By HG 3 seas
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

Knots

Thank you for answering my question. The knots are a pain to untie, especially when its cold. Instead of running my mouth, I'll read more of this forum. Great videos!!! I have alot to learn.
    Last edited by Fishpig; 02-05-2011 at 09:07.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Great thread guys!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, ENO SN/DN
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    The trucker's hitch is my absolute favorite knot of all time. You can use d-rings or a slip knot. The trucker's hitch with a slip knot is extremely easy to untie, just pull the working end of the rope and bam, it's loose! I prefer the using knots over any other forms of assistance. As mentioned previously, use a rope with a higher load rating so that when a knot is tied and knot efficiency decreases, the load will still hold!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast