Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Descending rings come in at about .4oz on my scale, if I remember correctly.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz

Truckers Hitch

Read the Truckers Hitch write up by Headchange4u. Good system. I have a couple of questions. I have a HH Asym with the spectra suspension/ridgeline. Can I use a double figure 8 on a bight on the HH suspension line with a D-ring biner? Then run the separate tensionsing line to another biner in the tree hugger loop(s). Seems like this would cut the friction on the tree hugger loops and still make use of the TH system. Saves time in threading the tensions line through the loops. I know this adds some ozs for biners, but they can be used for a lot of other things on the pack. I have used the double 8 many times on my climbing gear and it is easy to remove as it does not cinch up like some other knots. Also still retains about 80% of the line strength.
    Second set of questions. Has anyone used a spectra webbing for tree huggers? it is usually a smaller width than nylon webbing but it won't break under hanging conditions.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockdawg69 View Post
    Read the Truckers Hitch write up by Headchange4u. Good system. I have a couple of questions. I have a HH Asym with the spectra suspension/ridgeline. Can I use a double figure 8 on a bight on the HH suspension line with a D-ring biner? Then run the separate tensionsing line to another biner in the tree hugger loop(s). Seems like this would cut the friction on the tree hugger loops and still make use of the TH system. Saves time in threading the tensions line through the loops. I know this adds some ozs for biners, but they can be used for a lot of other things on the pack. I have used the double 8 many times on my climbing gear and it is easy to remove as it does not cinch up like some other knots. Also still retains about 80% of the line strength.
    Second set of questions. Has anyone used a spectra webbing for tree huggers? it is usually a smaller width than nylon webbing but it won't break under hanging conditions.
    I've not used the double figure 8. But the principle is the same in all these variations : get a loop in the rope, a loop on the tree webbing, make the suspension include a line between those loops.

For a stock HH setup, if you have rated biners you're going to carry, any way you can attach one biner to the rope and the other to the tree webbing will give you the setup. The place to be careful is attaching the biner to the rope in way that you can get it off again! You're comfortable with the double figure 8 and know it has this property. I've found that the biner/ring on the rope stays put if the cord is just looped through it twice...no jams...not possible...

Grizz

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Thanks Grizz. I can figure it out with a little testing in the backyard. I don't mind the extra few ozs of the biners since I have now cut down from a 34 lb starting weight last year to under 27 lbs this year. If I go to a top quilt and leave the bag home, I save another pound plus. And that is with 4 days food supply.
    Rockdawg
    Rockdawg69

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    HC,tried it. the wrap thing doesn't work as well as it does for the guylines, i guess because i've been tying it off right at the corner of the tarp so it can't twist back like it can in the middle of a suspension line.

i mainly wanted to see if a super simple knot like a slippery half hitch with a bight through the bight would hold with that much weight and very low friction (like a ring)when tied to a single strand of line (trucker's puts less load on the knot) so i knew if it would work tied straight to the ring it would work with the trucker's as well.

the only rings i had were ones i have been using on the corners of my tarp, and they are pretty small. the first one i tried broke, they were what were supposed to be the small 1/2" welded steel rings from strapworks, i suspected they were cast b/c i couldn't see the weld, it held me and some bouncing, but after 20 bounces or so broke. i could see the inside and it is indeed cast which is weaker. i tried a slightly smaller 1/2" ring that was welded for sure, i gave it the same test, it only bent into a slight oval. the first one, the cast steel from strapworks weighed 1.6g. the other ring is 1/2" welded steel ring, either 14 or 15 guage wire, weighs right at ONE GRAM. that's a record, i'll have to double post this on the fig nine thread. i would go a little beefier than this , but i think you could go way lighter than descending rings. the big advantage you have with this is, you don't have to get webbing into the ring, you could use 1/2" diameter and lose a ton of weight before you even use smaller/weaker stock, you should be able to find a 1/2" welded steel ring in a heftier guage that weighs 4-5 grams that would be plenty strong. i have actually been having problems finding the thiner ones.(1g and less), the heavier stock ones are more common i think.

anyways, this is good, either way you do it, trucker's or straight, you can tie off with the fastest simplest of knots, and since since it's a slippery knot, adjustment is pretty quick, you should be able to tie it off in a couple seconds. so i guess it is a couple seconds faster to use cinch buckles, but not many.

thanks for the motivation, i knew some of those guy's were tying off their bridge hammocks off with a trucker's, but i guess it took seeing it on a regular hammock suspension for me to think of trying it.

I use a Taut-Line Hitch on the guylines (old Scouting habit) for the stake end. I leave the hitch in the guyline and run it to the edge of the tarp when ready to pack up. Then just pull it out to the stake/hiking pole when ready to setup again. Saves a lot of time and too much thinking!!!!
    Rockdawg69
    Rockdawg69

Images
    the double figure 8 may be a little harder to untie in 3mm spectra than it is on 10mm climbing rope. i don't even use it for climbing because i find it difficult to untie after a a fall of any decent length. grizz is right, just a wrap the line a couple times. i found even 1 wrap to hold (i had to hold it still manually till i got it tied off though, but after that it holds my weight and doesn't move.)

another good option, since you will be using a biner instead of a ring is to just use a clove hitch, maybe even a slippery clove hitch, but just wraping it does work great, and you can just slide it up and down the line for positioning purposes. there are also some really light biners out there, i need to try the ones from trecklight, i think they are under an oz each, might be worth looking into as well if you plan to use 2 on each side.

Images
    as far as the spectra webbing goes, you could get it. www.yatesgear.com sells their 13mm by the foot. i found it to be the same weight as common flat weave nylon.

typically, wider is better for the trees, 1" is good. webbing has been failing because rope on webbing friction has been wearing through it. this can happen with spectra webbing too. only way to avoid it is to use hardware at the line to webbing connect point weather it is a biner, ring or whatever. thicker webbings will obviously last longer, spectra might last longer because it is somewhat slick, but it can burn through too. i once had 2 slings girth hitched to eachother (no movement) and simply having them loaded for a single day as part of a toprope setup damaged them to the point that i retired them and will never do it again.

if you like the simplicity of just tying the line to the tree straps, consider fixing a single ring to the loop in your srtap and just tying to it instead, straps should last years this way.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz

Truckers Hitch

Thanks Warbonnet.
    All good info I can use. I think just practicing with all these suggestions will get me to what works best for my hammock and comfort level. I am comfortable with most knots and hitches so whatever comes out the simpliest will be what I stick with. Now I only have to get my top quilt this week and I will be ready for mid-Apr section out of Damascus.
    Rockdawg69
    Rockdawg69

Images
    I tried this method and I liked it. At first I did not realize that I could put the ring in-line after the rope was already through the hugger. Once I realized that I could put the ring in-line, anytime and anywhere, the simplicity and flexibility of this system became obvious.

I used a ring on one side and a standard lashing method on the other. I found that only one ring is needed to get a tight ridgeline. Any adjustments can be made at the ring; thus, the lashing only needs to be tied once. At only 11 grams the ring is a welcomed addition.

Thanks for sharing the idea.

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz

Truckers Hitch Suspension

Tried the figure 8 setup I talked about earlier and Warbonnet is right. The HH ridgeline at 3mm is too small for that knot - too much stretch and knot cinches too tight. Looks like running thru the ring or a biner a couple of times and tying off with the TH works best.

Got some 3 ft Spectra loops I'm using in place of the HH tree huggers to see if they work better. Simple girth hitch around the tree and then hang a biner for the ridgeline connection. Right now they are being used for the tarp. Will check how the work with the hammock later this week.

Rockdawg69
    Rockdawg69

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast