What are ratings for Insultex UQs

Like what are the layer below good for temp wise ??

Consider a 5MM silk cover which weighs about .5oz per yard (very thin) and an appropriately rated warm TQ.

1 layer, 2 layer, 3 layer etc.

Thanks

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    It depends on if you are a warm or cold sleeper.
    I'm a cold sleeper so 3 layers of IX may get me to 50 degrees.
    Warm sleepers can go lower. "Back yard" testing, in my opinion,
    is vital. YMMV

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    TiredFeet and I have used 3 layer Insultex UQ and TQ well into the single digits. The quilts had top and bottom shells of light weight nylon ripstop. It all depends on the individual and the quilt design. Unlike Down for which the rating can be computed based on the loft, there isn't any rating method for Insultex other than your own experience.
    Last edited by TeeDee; 08-14-2011 at 19:06.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Thats a wide spread.
    From single digits to 50dF for a 3 layer.

I am a warm sleeper so I would think it should carry me to 30dF ??

Is it as sweaty as a CCF pad in a double layer ??

I am starting to think Momentum 90 might add some warmth over silk and some weight.
    Last edited by tammons; 08-14-2011 at 19:18.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    TiredFeet and I have used 3 layer Insultex UQ and TQ well into the single digits. The quilts had top and bottom shells of light weight nylon ripstop. It all depends on the individual and the quilt design. Unlike Down for which the rating can be computed based on the loft, there isn't any rating method for Insultex other than your own experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    Thats a wide spread.
    From single digits to 50dF for a 3 layer.

I am a warm sleeper so I would think it should carry me to 30dF ??

Is it as sweaty as a CCF pad in a double layer ??

I am starting to think Momentum 90 might add some warmth over silk and some weight.
    Another huge variable, IMO, is design. I doubt that both TiredFeet and TeeDee are both exceptionally warm sleepers. But their IX design allows both both a snugged up/no draft fit with the inner nylon shell while still maintaining at least a tiny gap between all IX layers, something that many folks seem to think is required with IX. The inner nylon shell does add some non-insulating weight but also allows a more traditional differential cut.

I think with the other designs early results have been all over the place because people were having different luck at trying to maintain both good seals on the sides and ends while still having a micro gap between all layers ( just my theory). User error could be a big factor. From the very beginning MacEntyre got 32F with 2 layers from his design. So did some other folks, but some did not come close. I have never yet got close to this, but I was getting much better with time. I started more like high 50s but was well down into the 40s ( 2 layers plus small torso layer, his very 1st model) later on. ( which to me is still GREAT for full length 8 oz) Plus his designs have been tweaked several times making it easier to maintain a good "seal".

Anyway, design and possible user error play a big part in results, seems to me.

Trying to maintain a tiny air space between three layers of Insultex sounds like a PIA. Too much and you get air circulation. Too little and you get no air benefit.
    Hang to loose and you get an air draft under your UQ.

I think you would be better off stuffing in a torso long piece of 2.5 Apex Climashield which would weigh about 3-4 oz.

Another idea which I think I will try since I have some extra 2.5 climashield laying around.

Run 1" wide strips at about 6"-8" O.C. between 2 layers of insultex.
    Will probably glue it with McNett Aquaseal which will glue anything to anything, including cuben, sil etc.

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Another huge variable, IMO, is design. I doubt that both TiredFeet and TeeDee are both exceptionally warm sleepers. But their IX design allows both both a snugged up/no draft fit with the inner nylon shell while still maintaining at least a tiny gap between all IX layers, something that many folks seem to think is required with IX. The inner nylon shell does add some non-insulating weight but also allows a more traditional differential cut.

I think with the other designs early results have been all over the place because people were having different luck at trying to maintain both good seals on the sides and ends while still having a micro gap between all layers ( just my theory). User error could be a big factor. From the very beginning MacEntyre got 32F with 2 layers from his design. So did some other folks, but some did not come close. I have never yet got close to this, but I was getting much better with time. I started more like high 50s but was well down into the 40s ( 2 layers plus small torso layer, his very 1st model) later on. ( which to me is still GREAT for full length 8 oz) Plus his designs have been tweaked several times making it easier to maintain a good "seal".

Anyway, design and possible user error play a big part in results, seems to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by tammons View Post
    Trying to maintain a tiny air space between three layers of Insultex sounds like a PIA. Too much and you get air circulation. Too little and you get no air benefit.
    Hang to loose and you get an air draft under your UQ.

I think you would be better off stuffing in a torso long piece of 2.5 Apex Climashield which would weigh about 3-4 oz.
    Design and user error are huge factors in UQs, not so much TQs.

I remember that it wasn't so long ago that there were a LOT of posts by people that were trying to figure out how to design AND hang down UQs under their hammocks without air gaps and cold spots. With time they learned and the makers tweaked their designs and new designs came out taking advantage of the user experiences. So designing and making UQs that work and and are easy to hang under the hammock is not an easy problem for any UQ and gathered end hammocks. So what was hard and generated a lot of discussion 2 or 3 years back, now SEEMS easy, but wasn't then.

The same thing will happen with Insultex UQs.

TeeDee has an advantage with the Bridge UQs in that making an UQ to fit a particular Bridge hammock with no gaps and with the sides and ends sealed is extremely easy. Doesn't make any difference whether the UQ is down or Insultex or some other synthetic insulation. Making an UQ to fit a lot of different hammocks that way is a LOT harder. Also, making an UQ to fit a gathered end hammock with the sides sealed and no air gaps is a LOT harder problem than for a Bridge.

• + New Posts