Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have the Deluxe. The fabric is soooooo soft. Think like Oxford cloth. Very comfy and loads of room inside.

Oh, and for a fly, ask them to sub in the SilNylon Hex fly. It will cost a bit extra, but the extra coverage it provides is worth it. And get the side zip model.
    Last edited by Oxblood; 08-12-2011 at 09:57.

Can the Hex rainfly be stored inside the snakeskins along with the hammock or does it need to be stored separately?

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirling3749 View Post
    Can the Hex rainfly be stored inside the snakeskins along with the hammock or does it need to be stored separately?
    yea it will fit

but most people store it separate tho, for the times that you want/need to just set up the tarp or if it's wet from either rain or dew, that way you don't get your hammock wet and don't have to get both out to set one or the other up

i store my hammock in a bishop bag and the tarp in the snakeskins

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Quote Originally Posted by Boothill View Post
    yea it will fit

but most people store it separate tho, for the times that you want/need to just set up the tarp or if it's wet from either rain or dew, that way you don't get your hammock wet and don't have to get both out to set one or the other up

i store my hammock in a bishop bag and the tarp in the snakeskins

boot
    Makes sense.
    I assume the hammock goes into the snakeskins a little easier without that tarp too eh.

One point to consider in a backpacking hammock that Y'All have not mentioned: The UL will take up less space than the Deluxe models. Expedition VS Explorer UL: MAYBE the UL will take up less space. Someone menitoned the fabric's feel, yes, softer in the Deluxe models, BUT these have a more open weave. Guess what???? Those nasty little mosquito proboscii can penetrate Deluxe hammock bottoms far more easily than the UL's. In either case, consider treating with permethrin. A pad inside the Deluxe will also help keep your backside from being bitten. Who actually likes having his you-know-what chewed??
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosaleen View Post
    One point to consider in a backpacking hammock that Y'All have not mentioned: The UL will take up less space than the Deluxe models. Expedition VS Explorer UL: MAYBE the UL will take up less space. Someone menitoned the fabric's feel, yes, softer in the Deluxe models, BUT these have a more open weave. Guess what???? Those nasty little mosquito proboscii can penetrate Deluxe hammock bottoms far more easily than the UL's. In either case, consider treating with permethrin. A pad inside the Deluxe will also help keep your backside from being bitten. Who actually likes having his you-know-what chewed??
    thats really interesting! thankyou for sharing . I know you know your stuff about hennessy!
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Sil Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirling3749 View Post
    Makes sense.
    I assume the hammock goes into the snakeskins a little easier without that tarp too eh.
    It can, but I don't bother with snakeskins anymore. I find them a PITA. I use a bishop bag for the hammoc. I set up the hex tarp first on a single line tarp line, then hang the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxblood View Post
    It can, but I don't bother with snakeskins anymore. I find them a PITA. I use a bishop bag for the hammoc. I set up the hex tarp first on a single line tarp line, then hang the hammock.
    Really? I thought snakeskins were considered one of the better ideas since sliced bread. They seem easy enough to use from the one or two vids I saw on youtube but maybe they just make it look easy.

And how about those "speed bags" available on Jacks are better? Anyone have any experience with those? Seems like just another take on the same idea.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    HYOH, but I find snakeskins to be very good.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    I can add this about snakeskins pertaining to Hennessy's...they help keep the bugnetting from getting pulled up and stretched. We get hammocks from all over the country now and some come with netting holes, pulls, and stress spots. A properly stowed hammock in snakekins eliminates alot of the wear and tear caused by being stowed with the tarp. Tarp tie out Figure Nines or other hardware, even the slit velcro pulling on the netting can create some damage.
    I use snakeskins on my hammock and tarp mostly because the tarp can be stowed and isolated on the outside of my pack and the hammock as I often leave it in the snakekins until I'm ready to use it. This is true especially in inclement weather when a crowd is taking refuge under my tarp.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast