Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

Hennessy XL cape/rain fly

My Hennessy XL cape/rain fly arrived today. I like it. It adds just enough more coverage than the stock Hennessy Expedition tarp and gives the double use as a rain cape. I think this is a great combo for summer hikes where you don't expect a lot of rain, but you get the CYA on both tarp coverage and rain gear and the light weight of the silnylon at 12oz.

In cape mode it may need a little help with a cord waist belt and I could see a fastener to make more sleeve-like coverage on my arms when using trekking poles. The tails are a little long with no pack on. They could be tucked under with a toggle like the Six Moon Designs Gatewood Cape if they get in the way. It's more than good 'nuff for a surprise summer shower.

The photo shows it with my Hennessy Expedition. I do plan to also use it with my Grand Trunk Ultralight, which will give me a 39oz kit including suspension, stakes and and a CCF foam pad.

I have it rigged with Dynaglide ridge line guys and Kelty TripTease side guys. The ridge lines are tied into the suspension carabiners with taut line hitches and the Hennessy mitten hooks clipped on the whoopie slings to keep it closer to the hammock. It could be rigged directly to the tree to get it a little lower. I clipped the jaws on mitten clips a bit so they wouldn't snag the 1/8" Amsteel, which is a little thick for them.

That is a KAQ Lost River UQ under the Hennessy. I'm ready to go campin'!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    How much coverage does it give you on the ends with the Expedition? I know the dimensions given say that there should be a foot and an half at either end, but "the map is not the territory".

I use the Explorer, which reduces eight inches from the available length, and I live in an area where afternoon thunderstorms are like clockwork eight months out of the year. However, I was looking at it for a possible lightweight alternative to my hex tarp for the other four months. If it has enough coverage, of course...

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    I would say the size specs are right on. Also, I just got it on the scale and with the guy lines it is 10.6 ounces, which I like a lot. It is a lot wider too, so you get more coverage in that scary little vector on the outer asym ends where it never looks like enough with the stock tarp.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Here's a look at it with the Grand Trunk UL and the ridge line guys tied lower and on the tree. This works great. The hammock and suspension lines drop some when I'm in the rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Thanks! I think that might be my late Fall purchase...after DIY stuff for insulation, of course...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    How much coverage does it give you on the ends with the Expedition? I know the dimensions given say that there should be a foot and an half at either end, but "the map is not the territory".

I use the Explorer, which reduces eight inches from the available length, and I live in an area where afternoon thunderstorms are like clockwork eight months out of the year. However, I was looking at it for a possible lightweight alternative to my hex tarp for the other four months. If it has enough coverage, of course...

The XL poncho rainfly is made for the explorer size hammocks. It is the same size as your stock explorer rainfly. It is larger than the stock expedition tarp though.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnall View Post
    The XL poncho rainfly is made for the explorer size hammocks. It is the same size as your stock explorer rainfly. It is larger than the stock expedition tarp though.
    Exactomundo. I was out to improve on the Expedition stock tarp coverage and get that poncho option.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnall View Post
    Thanks. I went with the hex tarp when I got the hammock, though; here in Florida, it thunderstorms like clockwork between 3 PM and 5 PM for something like six or eight months out of the year.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Thanks. I went with the hex tarp when I got the hammock, though; here in Florida, it thunderstorms like clockwork between 3 PM and 5 PM for something like six or eight months out of the year.

I did the same, but I wanted a lightweight option and something to use with my Grand Trunk Ultralight as much as the Hennessy.

I should mention that using the XL with the Expedition may require some adaptation for the extra length. I converted mine to whoopie slings, so the adjustable bury of the sling is about where you would want to land the prusik and hook to catch the end of the tarp. I don't like anything on the bury section that might cause it to slide, so I ran the line up to the carabiner or tied it independently to the tree and lower than the tree strap to keep the tarp closer to the hammock ridge line.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    I'd probably wind up doing a CRL anyway; it's my preferred method for hanging a tarp, since it offers the most flexibility. Especially with a ponchotarp, since I really don't want it trapped with the hammock in the snakeskins or whatever I'm carrying it in when the heavens decide to open up on me.

Thanks for the information, though. I really appreciate your time and effort with all of this stuff.

• + New Posts