Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SinisterMinister View Post
    My engineering skills end once I leave the lego box, but wouldn't a thicker gauge compensate for the smaller diameter?
    As someone who inspects natural gas pipeline at point of manufacture I can firmly say yes(although i see no mention of wall thickness on the diagram). In all reality, the gauge of the wall is much more pertinent than the diameter of the pipe for this application. I can't believe that the person who did this diagram was not exposed to this forum, and therefore am very disappointed that they didn't clear it with WV first. This is not the first time HF stuff has made it's way to other venues without proper credit given (dejoha diagrams).
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    ZHammock inspired 2x layer 1.9oz
    Tarp
    12' GG or 9' Tyvek
    Insulation
    sleeping bag UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Anyone know if 10' or 12' 2x4's would work instead?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by finskie View Post
    As someone who inspects natural gas pipeline at point of manufacture I can firmly say yes(although i see no mention of wall thickness on the diagram). In all reality, the gauge of the wall is much more pertinent than the diameter of the pipe for this application. I can't believe that the person who did this diagram was not exposed to this forum, and therefore am very disappointed that they didn't clear it with WV first. This is not the first time HF stuff has made it's way to other venues without proper credit given (dejoha diagrams).
    Finskie, my engineering training is on a par with SinisterMinister's, so I can't say whether wall thickness trumps diameter, but the rails that I used are too small. The picture of me in the hammock is done with mirrors, and that's just one hammock.
    Quote Originally Posted by sigma_pete View Post
    Anyone know if 10' or 12' 2x4's would work instead?
    Yup, I know. Nope. (Okay, I haven't tried 2x4s, so it's SWAG, but I'll stake MacEntyre's reputation on it.)

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by finskie View Post
    I can't believe that the person who did this diagram was not exposed to this forum, and therefore am very disappointed that they didn't clear it with WV first. This is not the first time HF stuff has made it's way to other venues without proper credit given (dejoha diagrams).
    I know it seems unlikely. I also know of similar circumstances. I fly model airplanes folded up from a plastic cardboard sign material called Coroplast and belong to a small group of folks that not only developed the idea but have made some pretty impressive airplanes out of the stuff. We have a website, plans and have been in several of the national magazines. We came across a guy in Florida who was offering classes in how to do the same thing, just 499 or something like that. He showed some examples and some history. It pretty much matched ours. The guy had a parallel history and had never heard of us. Which would explain the older style of airfoil he was using instead of the couple that we have been making. I picture a Goddard type moment. Robert Goddard was the grandpa of Rocketry. Goddard however didn't like to share information and worked by himself. He couldn't get a very large motor to operate because he couldn't get a fuel pump to deliver large amounts of fuel without freezing up, couldn't get a large bell to hold together from the heat of the exhaust. There is a picture of him looking at the exhaust nozzle of a V-2 rocket with his mouth open, not registering just how much farther ahead the German rocket was compared to all his groundbreaking designs. When we hit this guy up with what we were doing then compared to his 'Class built' airplanes, he had to have the same look.

Anyways, likey minds think alikey. Very possible the PM article originator has never heard of this forum. Heck, he's publishing in a magazine. Guy may not even get on the internet yet.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    I told you they never built one. That's about all PM is good for.
    What?! But the flying car is coming ANY day now!!!

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    You mean you don't have yours yet?

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Cheapo HF camo
    Insulation
    SA down throw UQ
    Suspension
    HF straps w/ rings
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    I know it seems unlikely. I also know of similar circumstances. I fly model airplanes folded up from a plastic cardboard sign material called Coroplast and belong to a small group of folks that not only developed the idea but have made some pretty impressive airplanes out of the stuff. We have a website, plans and have been in several of the national magazines. ...
    Hey, can you URL us with that?

Banned
    Hammock
    Cotton Amazonian, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Kelty, WB Superfly
    Insulation
    uq or pad
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Tensengrity hammock stand origins

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    No, but I'm also not getting sued when they break. The struts specified in the Pop Mechanics spread are not adequate.
    Ask anyone who has gone through the patent process many times; it is rarely worth it. Especially since one "cannot extract blood from a turnip" i.e. PM has very little positive cash flow, someone's tax write-off i assume. Do more than 100 people in N.A. still read this publication, i think my kid's parakeet did when a grandparent sent it to them.

Also there is this requirement that always hits me between the eyes: "The subject matter sought to be patented must be sufficiently different from what has been used or described before that it may be said to be nonobvious to a person having ordinary skill in the area of technology related to the invention."
    http://www.uspto.gov/patents/resourc....jsp#heading-4

I have enjoyed reading about the use of Tensegrity structures for hammock stands and appreciate WV's and others work. Only wish it was more marketable and the legal department could make it work. Best of luck.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Hello and welcome to 2 1/2 years ago.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    11ft Argon 1.6oz, single layer
    Tarp
    Camo SilArgon
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    You mean you don't have yours yet?
    I ordered mine with hammock and perimeter tarp mount points on the underside, and paid additional for the option downward firing heater element. It may not be the most packable rain protection I own, but on the positive side I can fit two hammocks comfortably underneath it, 3 at a push; and it can easily carrying camping gear for 3, something that my silnylon tarp was never able to achieve. I see the optional follow-me-drone and refridgerator/freezer modules being a big hit on the AT this year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast