ENO DN
    Tarp
    SilNylon
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Backpack or TQ/UQ and Tarp?

So I just came on some funds to get a few pieces of gear. I currently am missing TQ/UQ and a tarp, I also am in need of a backpack.

My question is what should I get 1st? Should I have all my gear before I get the pack (to avoid getting something to big/small) or should I get the packs and make my gear work with it?

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
    That is a good question...gear or pack first....IMO I would get a pack first...if you don't have a pack, how are you going to take the gear that you already have out into the piney woods? Then get the rest of your gear and adjust gear/pack accordingly. Just my 2 cents.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Wait till you have your other gear then get the pack. You will be lucky to guess the right size without knowing how much volume to get. If weight isn't a big deal then get a big pack and fill it. You will use space if you have room for more things to fill it.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
    That is a good question...gear or pack first....IMO I would get a pack first...if you don't have a pack, how are you going to take the gear that you already have out into the piney woods? Then get the rest of your gear and adjust gear/pack accordingly. Just my 2 cents.
    Hmmm! That is very true. I suppose you could get something just to get out and use what you have. Then later go bigger or smaller on another pack later. That way you could have a summer pack and a winter pack depending what gear you would need for a given trip. I have 2 for that reason too.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    DIY or SpinnUL BMJ
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    I would probably opt to get the backpack last. Maybe you have a older regular backpack that you could use in the interim?

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    It might help to know what you budget is. (Just how much funds did you come upon?)
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    Wait till you have your other gear then get the pack. You will be lucky to guess the right size without knowing how much volume to get. If weight isn't a big deal then get a big pack and fill it. You will use space if you have room for more things to fill it.
    Great advice. Best to have gear first, then pack as the gear has to fit in the pack. You could end up spending more $$ getting a pack first, then trying to find gear that compresses or what not to fit inside it.

Over the years I have accumulated different volume packs that I use during different seasons. A large volume pack for winter, and 2 smaller packs for summer trips. It's the gear that I take that makes the difference which pack I'll end up using.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    You should wait on the pack, but obviously if you don't have one you need one, haha. I'd check out dicks maybe and try to find a cheap pack. That field and stream (I think a dicks brand) has some cheaper packs. I can fit my 3 season stuff in most larger school backpacks and those are cheap too.

Tarps are obviously important but you could use a wal mart blue tarp or maybe find a cheap guide gear or something. I have a tarp you can borrow too if you'd like. But its 10' long and don't know how it would do with your eno double.

Quilts are the hardest thing to swallow financially. And unless you plan on not camping after august, or using a ccf pad I'd say a UQ is your most important investment. You can improvise a TQ with a cheap sleeping bag but it'll be bulky. I like to get the expensive investments out of the way first.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Actually I have a big 60 liter pack you can borrow too. Its heavy but if it saves you money you can use it whenever you'd like til winter.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    I like having all my gear together when choosing a pack. They will let you take all your gear in at the better outfitters stores so you can stuff a pack you are trying. Walk around with it on in the store and see how it feels. I went through 4 shops and quite a few packs before I found "THE" pack for me, but I'm a hard fit and have pacific needs.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast