Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smoky mountain summer no top quilt bad idea

I was cold as hell at about 55 degrees. Woke up at 5 and made a fire to stay warm.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Seems to me that us low landers can easily forget how cool the mountains can be while we're roasting at home.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    Seems to me that us low landers can easily forget how cool the mountains can be while we're roasting at home.
    very true. I made the mistake of going down to the river with no topquilt. it was90 during the day and got to 60's near the river. I had to hike to my jeep and all I found was like 2 or 3 small towels and went back and dived in the hammock and survived haha
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I feel your pain.
    I went out last winter with too thin of a top quilt - spent a miserable night.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    We do not learn by our successes, only by our failures.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Took a road trip last summer, expecting blistering heat the majority of the trip. I think I was wearing every article of clothing I had brought, including the crazy pink hat I found during the trip and froze my butt off in my summer sleeping bag with no underquilt when it dropped to near freezing at night in Tuolumne Meadows. Exhaustion was working with me to help me sleep through the night, but man will I never make that mistake again.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stefprez View Post
    Took a road trip last summer, expecting blistering heat the majority of the trip. I think I was wearing every article of clothing I had brought, including the crazy pink hat I found during the trip and froze my butt off in my summer sleeping bag with no underquilt when it dropped to near freezing at night in Tuolumne Meadows. Exhaustion was working with me to help me sleep through the night, but man will I never make that mistake again.
    Been there and done that! I finally learned to- most of the time I remember anyway- be prepared for that 3.5-5*F per thousand feet dif, assuming both mountain and valley under the same weather system. The 3.5F per thousand for when it is precipitating, the 5F per thousand for those clear nights.

Course, this is not bomb proof, because there are other weather variables The mountains seem to make their own weather. And a front can be on either side of the mountain, with huge temp difs on each side of the front. And then there are the inversions. One night when I lived in Flagstaff, AZ it was minus 23F. I called the Snowbowl Ski resort 2500 feet higher up the mountain, just trying to imagine what the temps were. But to my amazement, it was only minus 16! Inversion, heavy cold air sinking! There were reports of minus 40 in some deep valley- but still high elevation- neighborhoods outside of town. I arrived in Phoenix in Oct 1970, and was very surprised to need a blanket that night. The following Jan 7th, AZ set her official all time low temp of minus 41 at Hawley Lake at a mere 8180 feet. I remember it was pretty darn cold in Phoenix, well below freezing, but I can't remember exact temps. Still, it is obvious here that there was AT least a 60F dif with a 7000 ft dif in elevation, so 8.5F per thousand feet or more. Maybe the "urban heat sink" effect or a front accounted for the extreme difference.

Still, on average, over a long time of comparing my temps in Flagstaff to Phoenix(~ 150 miles away) or the Snowbowl Ski resort(~ 15 miles away?), the above formula was dead on more often than not. So a low of 70 in 1100 ft Phoenix could mean a low of 49 for those Flagstaff campers at 7000 ft if it was raining, or a low of 40 on clear nights. Or a low of 50 in the lowlands meant 20 in Flagstaff. Course, if you are up at 9500 or 11000 feet, adjust accordingly!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-09-2011 at 16:30.

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit NylonD 1.0
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    HG TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Kevlar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Been there and done that! I finally learned to- most of the time I remember anyway- be prepared for that 3.5-5*F per thousand feet dif, assuming both mountain and valley under the same weather system. The 3.5F per thousand for when it is precipitating, the 5F per thousand for those clear nights.

Course, this is not bomb proof, because there are other weather variables The mountains seem to make their own weather. And a front can be on either side of the mountain, with huge temp difs on each side of the front. And then there are the inversions. One night when I lived in Flagstaff, AZ it was minus 23F. I called the Snowbowl Ski resort 2500 feet higher up the mountain, just trying to imagine what the temps were. But to my amazement, it was only minus 16! Inversion, heavy cold air sinking!

Still, on average, over a long time of comparing my temps in Flagstaff to Phoenix(~ 150 miles away) or the Snowbowl(~ 15 miles away?), the above formula was dead on more often than not. So a low of 70 in 1100 ft Phoenix could mean a low of 49 for those Flagstaff campers at 7000 ft if it was raining, or a low of 40 on clear nights. Or a low of 50 in the lowlands meant 20 in Flagstaff. Course, if you are up at 9500 or 11000 feet, adjust accordingly!
    Hahahahahaha! I think I'm going to have that formula burned into my arm. Glad I'm not the only naive one from the "relatively flat" east.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Last Aug. 18th,,snowed on us in Yellowstone,,then Oct 15th or so,,snowed 4 inches or more in Smokies from a elevation of about 2500' and up..the higher you went,,the deeper the snow..be prepared and take it all with you. In the mountains,,anything goes!

Hammock
    HH Expedition Ultralite Asym
    Tarp
    DIY BlackCat
    Insulation
    WB3S Yeti, Big Ag.
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies / MSH
    This reminds me of my first, innocently ignorant hammock camping days. September on the Olympic Peninsula, before I was even aware of the idea of something under me besides my bag. 20 degree rated sleeping bag, no UQ or pad, in the 40s with a HH Ultralight Expedition Asym. There's nothing like cold hammock discomfort. Now looking to get back into some cool weather camping, shopping TQs and UQs. The more you know. Thanks HF!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast