Hammock
    Clark Tropical 2 & XL rainfly
    Tarp
    TRG Prospecting
    Insulation
    TTTG Shamu
    Suspension
    standard Clark
    Interesting find Demostix, I can see how having the tarp and hammock separate might stop a bit of the bouncing around for anyone who hasn't pitched their tarp tight enough but I havent had that problem personally and I have been in a few of nights of angry wind now... It would mean including a separate ridgeline to hang the netting off though and then prussicks or someting similar which is more messing around than I find necessary, I'm trying to keep my rig as simple as possible and I'm happy with it at the moment.

Well, except for the size of the 'XL' tarp that I originally recieved with my clark which is why I'm using a heavy 3mx3m tarp instead (1.05kg worth!) and I hang it off the tree straps before I hang the hammock off the same straps then run lines from the end of the tarp ridgeline back down to hang the netting

A good taut pitch of the tarp would be my first concern anyway, the flapping around that was mentioned in the email is the primary cause for most failures in tarps, tents etc. as the 'whipping motion' causes a lot more stress on the fabric than the same wind hitting a nice taut & stable surface... It would minimise any bouncing around too, I can picture the guy tied underneath a loosely rigged tarp and doing a good impression of a tea bag!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Phantom:

That comment on the system was from an experienced Clark owner selling on ebay. It was focused, I think, on the engineering fault of connecting the the netting to the tarp away from the most stable parts of the system -- the trees. Clark has changed that, along with the tarp design.

On your (and my) Xtra Laughs fly: I'm hanging it over an NX250 some nights, because it is enough, and it quells, by shape, WBBB envy. I close the foot end, and bring the tarp barely over the ends of the spreader bars at that end, leaving plenty of room and view at the head end.

I noticed, that water and even dew flows downhill and collects where several panels meet and the bug-net connection is attached underneath. And it drips. The more reason why I must seal the entire ridgeline seam and that area especially.

I am now getting spoiled by the illusion of much greater width from the spreader bars on the slightly wider Clark. Spaciousness more than real space? I am not tall enough that the greater length is the difference. I'll start a thread asking whether other Clark owners were tempted to augment the peak-netted models with spreader bars, and whether they regularly tie those models out for spaciousness, something I have not done with the loops included on the Tropical.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 10-31-2011 at 14:05. Reason: grammar

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123