Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I'd urge you to become comfortable with the XL you and I both have. Hang it at home to appreciate the design. It is worth much more than Clark gives an allowance for, a pittance; but not as much as Clark charges for them off the shelf.

The larger Vertex fly is nice, but it is very expensive unless acquired as a $20 upgrade from the XL, and not price-competitive with alternatives, especially with added shipping costs and perhaps import duties. Beside the fly you mentioned, terrarosa, there must be many made in or near Oz. From a youtube video on the (I assume SE Asian-sourced) Claytor hammock , I was impressed with construction features of the diamond rain fly @ just U$50 and maybe less to you.

http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html
    Last edited by DemostiX; 10-05-2011 at 15:03. Reason: spelling

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I've got the Vertex fly too. So if you need to know anything I am happy to answer, but the measurments are already there and you already got one.
    Can't say anything to XL- don't have one.

Hammock
    Clark Tropical 2 & XL rainfly
    Tarp
    TRG Prospecting
    Insulation
    TTTG Shamu
    Suspension
    standard Clark
    Thanks Holger, I think I have to come and have a look at your setup now just to see the differences and if its worth the upgrade, what are you doing on Saturday

Another thing too demostix, it's not just the size of the tarps that's changed but the method of hanging the tarp which now goes up with the hammock base ropes, seems like a very worthwhile upgrade if you ask me. Problem is the hammock needs to be sent in to the shop to have alterations made to make it all work, or as i was told in an email the items and instructions could be mailed out to me to do myself. It would be far to costly sending I to the states and back...

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Have a close look at HF member PDCollins6092 gallery of his North American, obviously with the current standard fly.

It seems to me that the modification to the fly is just longer ribbons and a more complicated fitting at the ends.

You are not meant to notice, as I have, that PD's rain fly may seem enormous to those with the old XL model, yet it is actually the current standard fly for the model, not the XL upgrade!!.

Hammock
    Tarp
    TRG Prospecting
    Insulation
    TTTG Shamu
    Suspension
    standard Clark
    So it looks like Clark has completely done away with the funny tail that they used to have? I guess the website will reflect the changes one of these days and make it a little bit clearer for us....

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    I think the tail was about generating a tight ridgeline, with the tension borne across the fabric of the tail sections.

And to stimulate Warbonnetguy to achieve great cult success embedding the plan of a famous airlplane in the plan view shape of his hammock.

Maybe the story behind the design and expected usage of the old-design rain flys is to be found in the archives of the yahoo group for Clark hammock owners.

Hammock
    Tarp
    TRG Prospecting
    Insulation
    TTTG Shamu
    Suspension
    standard Clark
    After a few email conversations with the people at Clark, who have been great to deal with by the way and have answered all my questions straight away, I think i have all their tarp models figured out. No of the tarps now have the separate tail section, they all now have a single straight ridgeline & only the XL tarp still has a tapered design. As i said before the tarps now attach to a point on the hammock suspension, roughly 2 feet from each end of the hammock, with the assistance to a large cable tie. I like the sound of it but I'm thinking it might be hard (or impossible) to rig the tarp first this way, a bonus if it's raining. Does anyone have the new setup and can comment on pitching of the tarp first?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    If you have measurements from Clark on the new tarps, please post them so they can be consulted.

Now that the Vertex has been made bilaterally symmetric, it is interesting that Paul at AHE (Arrowhead) used to sell two tarps, Shangri La and Toxaway which were similar to the previous Vertex, in being tapered smaller at the foot end. Both were severely cat curved / scalloped. They had these maximum dimensions:

AHE
    Shangri La Ridge 11' Max 10 Min 7
    Toxaway Ridge 12 Max 11 Min 9

Compare to
    ClarkVertex Ridge 10.5 Max 10 Min 6

No surprise that with similar silnylon, they all weighed 14-15oz.
    --------

I now understand why the sophistication and extra tie- off bit at the ridge-line ends of the Clark Vertex fly: to facilitate attachment of the stretch cord or strap when used as an "upgrade" with one of the "lesser" hmmcks that were designed to hang from the discontinued fly.

That said, I'm not sure I wouldn't instead sew and seal a pair of attachment clips a third way in to any substantial ridgeline seam instead. Better to pull up lightly on the light netting and weathershield than to hold it up by pulling sharply and with more tension out and up, as to the ends of the tarp. I know that, having done that.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 10-08-2011 at 21:17. Reason: add specs and comparison

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Phan-tom:

I highly recommend the pdf on current Clark configuration to hold up the netting on all of their hammocks except the ones with flexible rods.

Seeing this diagram for the first time, I understand why I was puzzled by pdcollins' pictures, as I had never seen that set-up before, yet it is the stock one.

Maybe it is all less tricky than described. The Clark language cautioning against potential damage has me wonder whether if it wouldn't be much easier just to
    • use a separate ridgeline and attach the fly to it, with prussiks, so it can be centered over the hammock;
    [/LIST]
    • or to connect a thin non-stretch line between the ridge-line ends of the hammock, one exactly that distance, and then hold up the hammock-end hoods and bug netting with the provided straps or bungees.

So far, I am most clipping a pair of $.05 2g plastic shower curtain rings to overhanging tree branches and attach the lightweight Clark bungees to them.

Maybe the many experienced Clark owners will offer informed suggestions.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Another Clark owner's experience of change

There is Clark NX150 for sale on ebay just now. The included fly, BTW, is the current XL. Seller writes to me something I never saw reported here, on linking the netting to the tarp, at least at mid point:

thanks, compareing the XL to the vertex, and attached to the hammock or
    not. my first purchase, the north american had the rain fly attached to the
    hammock; when windy nights were encountered your whole rain fly would
    literally flop you around in the hammock due to the attachment points and
    the little bungies that held it somewhat stable, then came the nx150 that
    left both rainfly and hammock independantly supported of each other;;; a
    much needed design change, no more flopping in the wind due to being tied
    in with one another, and to add, no more weak link with those small
    supplied bungee cords. My opinion only.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast