Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    WV,

It looks like a good solution. What I have come to believe is if you spread the ends out so they lay side by side instead of directly top and bottom from each other, that this would spread the force over a greater area. I need to make an example of what I am thinking of to illustrate this.
    Gotcha. I do that a lot when sewing grosgrain loops on nylon. The orange polypro straps are pretty thick (for polypro), and I didn't cut them very long, so it was a bit difficult to get the ends to lie side by side while sewing so I didn't bother. I also figured that the fabric reinforcing patch is supposed to be compensating for localized stresses, so I could use a less-than-perfect webbing attachment as part of the test. (That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! )

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    SR - This is great stuff. May I ask...for the tarp you made, what would the approximate cost of the Cuben have been...?

On tie outs...it would be great if a no-sew solution could be had here. What if someone used a braided dyneema cord, same approximate length as the paracord you used. And unravel this cord at the ends so it spreads out thin and wide for the last inch or so...I wonder if that could be successfully glued to the Cuben and then sandwiched as you did...strong enough to hold the forces involved with a tie out point...

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoveryDiver View Post
    SR - This is great stuff. May I ask...for the tarp you made, what would the approximate cost of the Cuben have been...?
    $26 per linear yard, used 8 yards. So $208 for the cuben fiber. zpacks does you good on shipping, less than $4 if I recall.

The tape and primer with shipping and tax was another ~$66. They eat you up on shipping from that place. But as far as I know rshughes is the best source on that. I could very well be wrong.

On tie outs...it would be great if a no-sew solution could be had here. What if someone used a braided dyneema cord, same approximate length as the paracord you used. And unravel this cord at the ends so it spreads out thin and wide for the last inch or so...I wonder if that could be successfully glued to the Cuben and then sandwiched as you did...strong enough to hold the forces involved with a tie out point...
    It could work. I'm not sure. Another idea I came up with is to run a LARGE loop of dynaglide around the entire perimeter within the hem, but have some come out in about 1/2" loops in all the places you want to have tie outs. That way the stress would be distributed all the way around the edge where it is double layered already. I don't know if it would work, but it would eliminate all sewing and probably be VERY strong.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    DIY Cuben
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    down,over & under
    Images
    great job S. my tarp about the same size. used for 3 yrs now, all glued, no sewing.
    Tie outs 1.5 in gorilla tape, 6 in long, apply to top, use a 1.5 small carbon fiber tube,in the angle where the tape double back on itself. Double back, put on bottom.(opposite the top piece) put your tie outs in the center of the tube, (make a small hole.) the tube distributes the stress, and the tape holds well. no sewing at all.
    you can also make a Cuben (tape) using the double sided tape and a piece of C instead of the gorilla. I never use the solvent, just the double sided tape, have not had any trouble yet.
    I have used the M stuff and several other tapes,( a 1 in I believe, mylar tape , one sided is available which is pretty useful in C) some 1/2 in some other sizes.
    As I am fundamental lazy, I do not make a hem on the sides of the tarp. The Cuben by definition, can not ravel.
    wonderful to see so much work done with C.
    Re stuff sacks, I just poke holes in the top of the all glued sacks and run the draw strings thru the holes. ( I told you I am lazy)
    my stuff rarely is pretty but It usually works well enough!!! gnome

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight, modified
    Tarp
    HMG Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Zpacks down 40 deg
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR
    The chickens remind me of mission trips to Nicaragua.

Was there a discussion about using cat cut on the ridge or the edges?

Could you show a pic of the setup tarp from the outside?

Rick

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl, Eno
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20*Pheonix,HGTQ20*
    Suspension
    Straps, whoopies
    Images
    So watching your video on putting the two pieces together and I get how that could be difficult. My question / possible solution to the problem is this.

Could you use a long, straight flat piece of wood, say like a yard stick but longer, and tape that along the top of the piece your working with so that you and your partner would flip the entire piece over at one time? Im thinking of taping the piece of wood / straight edge down then you would just need to keep the other piece under control. I hope that makes since. Double sided tape on the wood to fiber and then same on the fiber to the table. Would keep them both in place.
    Last edited by littlebigpole; 08-03-2011 at 17:52.
    ________

Beware Plan A can be a little excessive .

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    You lost me. But that happens all the time.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl, Eno
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20*Pheonix,HGTQ20*
    Suspension
    Straps, whoopies
    Images
    Ok Ill try again. It seems the issue is getting the two fabrics stuck together without losing the straight edge or getting a wrinkle in the fabric while attaching them. My solution would be to have the two pieces stuck to two different surfaces that would allow the fabrics to be wrinkle free and to be able to stick the entire edge at one time.

On the long edge of the ridge line. You put say a double sided tape to hold the first side to the table. Then prime the edge. Then you would put the 3 M tape on that just like you show in the video. Then the other piece you would tape a long straight edge to that piece. This would keep the edge straight. Then apply the primer and stick the two pieces together. My thinking is that it would allow you to keep the entire length of the tarp going on that straight line. You could in theory then do the project without a helper.

If that dont do it I will have to start with a paint drawing.
    Last edited by littlebigpole; 08-03-2011 at 18:47.
    ________

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I think it could work. I don't know if you could make them 11' long or not. It would seem like the issue would be to get them started on the end at the right alignment and then keeping that alignment the entire way down while monkeying with a 11' board in your hands.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl, Eno
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    20*Pheonix,HGTQ20*
    Suspension
    Straps, whoopies
    Images
    So yeah I would think the side edge would be the first trick. The long edge I would think might be the easy part. The long wood piece would be resting on the table or floor or whatever you were working on. It would be gravity working for the rest of it. Controlled gravity that is. My next question would be is how long can that primer sit before you actually have to stick it.

Just a thought. Thanks for your input. Your video was very informative.
    ________

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast