Hennessy Ultralite Explorer
    Tarp
    Hennessy Stock
    Insulation
    No Sniveller TQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings

Exclamation Not good enough??

I'll be hiking the AT starting in mid march-april 1st and I'm new to hammocking. That being said, is the Jacks r better no sniveller and the 3/4 thermarest I have going to cut it for my sleep system? I had thought about buying either a phoenix or incubator from hammockgear.com, but if what I have is sufficient I'd rather not spend the money. The phoenix is smaller, so if I paired that with the thermarest would that be alright?? I appreciate any input!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by conburn View Post
    I'll be hiking the AT starting in mid march-april 1st and I'm new to hammocking. That being said, is the Jacks r better no sniveller and the 3/4 thermarest I have going to cut it for my sleep system? I had thought about buying either a phoenix or incubator from hammockgear.com, but if what I have is sufficient I'd rather not spend the money. The phoenix is smaller, so if I paired that with the thermarest would that be alright?? I appreciate any input!!
    First, is that a Thermarest inflatable, which one is it ( how warm, how much R factor, how wide?) and do you know if you will be able to keep it under you in the hammock? What kind of lows are u expecting?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The phoenix is a dedicated 3/4 length under quilt (52" long) and won't be suitable as a top quilt at all. Which thermarest do you have and what are its dimensions? Most are only 20" wide and that will be a challenge to keep under you. Also only being 3/4 length, you're going to likely need some extra insulation for your lower legs and feet.

If you can swing it, I would save up for a dedicated underquilt as it will allow for a great degree of comfort in a wider variety of conditions.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    What Brian says about the Phoenix. Adding, a 3/4 length is fine as an underquilt, not so much as a topquilt.
    FWIW, I'd use the Phoenix as designed, if you can't afford a top quilt, do you have a sleeping bag? If so, use that as a top quilt & you should be fine. If you can swing it, I really like the No sniveler from JRB as a top quilt AND it does double duty as a cold weather poncho (NOT waterproof) so you can reduce your in camp keep warm clothing.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Stock
    Insulation
    No Sniveller TQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    I don't think I explained it well enough, I HAVE a Jacks r better No sniveller for a TQ, but I'm not sure about my UQ set up. I was thinking about getting the phoenix as an UQ and pairing it with my thermarest. Billybob- the thermarest is a z rest lite, the yellow egg carton looking one. I can keep it under me, I just haven't used it in cold weather. I was hoping to do so in october. The lows will be in the teens....

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I don't think I explained it well enough, I HAVE a Jacks r better No sniveller for a TQ, but I'm not sure about my UQ set up. I was thinking about getting the phoenix as an UQ and pairing it with my thermarest. Billybob- the thermarest is a z rest lite, the yellow egg carton looking one. I can keep it under me, I just haven't used it in cold weather. I was hoping to do so in october. The lows will be in the teens....
    The combination of the Phoenix UQ and the thermarest should work together. The Phoenix is rated to 15-20F, however the Jacks R Better No Sniveler is rated to 25-30F so keeping warm into the low teens might be a challenge without extra clothing or other insulation.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    30D Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Biner/Des Rings
    Images
    The good thing about useing a pad on a AT hike is it will serve you well if you have to go to ground like you would in the Smokies.
    -----------------------
    Wherever you go=====
    =======There you are
    ----------------------

Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    I plan on using a JRB Stealth, and my HG Pheonix for most of my thru hike next year. When temps drop I'm adding a Feathered Friends Rock Wren over top of everything as a pod. Total of just under 4lbs for the system.

My partner and I did some cold weather training last season and he nearly froze with just a sleeping bag and thermarest pad. Even in temps from 40-50* it can still be coldish in my Stealth and Pheonix.

I wouldn't recomend trying to go with just a TQ and pad for your whole hike.

Possible? Yes.
    Comfortable? Huge doubts.
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy Stock
    Insulation
    No Sniveller TQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Alright, I agree I need an underquilt. Should I go with the phoenix and pair it with my thermarest or get a full length incubator? I like the idea of having my thermarest like Spogatz mentioned so I think I'd take it either way.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Alright, I agree I need an underquilt. Should I go with the phoenix and pair it with my thermarest or get a full length incubator? I like the idea of having my thermarest like Spogatz mentioned so I think I'd take it either way.
    A Phoenix will take up less pack space for sure......here is a vid I did on UQs....may give some insight to full VS 1/2.
    Shug

Last edited by Shug; 08-02-2011 at 17:05.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast