HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    My Hennessy Expedition is zip entry, so I probably have less trouble than you will. I use a CCF pad, 5.88 from WM. I cut it in half and use it as a torso pads, two laid side by side, overlapped so about 30" wide, and laced with a couple of mason line cords to keep in place. Such would work well I thinkj, in a bottom entry. I used the torso pad down to 40 deg with no problems, so it should work well in summer temperatures. Absolutely no need to spend a fortune on an underwuilt. The short pad works well from an insulation POV, and I don't find it in any way uncomfortable, so see no need to spend money I don;t have anyway on an UQ..

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ragnall View Post
    I was out this weekend with my Exlorer UL with no bottom insulation and the lows were in the mid to low 70's. When it is this hot I do not want any bottom insulation. Another 5-10 degrees cooler and I would have needed something.

I tried, about 4-6 times, to use a pad when I first got my Hennessy before I gave up and ordered the SS. I was trying to sleep in the sleeping bag at that time as well. If I had made a SPE like I have seen others use and just used the bag as a top quilt I might have had more luck. I never could get in the bag and on top of the pad through the bottom entry........
    bmwrider, I agree with those temps per Ragnall. I would say that, if you are sure the lows won't be below 70 and you are sheltered from the wind, you can get by with nothing, though for some people that will be 75 or maybe even higher. But wind will play a big factor if you can't hide from it or block it with your tarp. Plus of course, with zero moisture problems. If you are inside or on top of a synthetic bag, that will give you at least several more degrees to play with, maybe even 5 or 10.

But if you do use a regular size 20" wide pad, you should still be OK at temps above 70 as far as your shoulders. But when much colder, you will need a wider pad- or "T" set up mentioned above- or home made SPE. I suggest a CCF pad, they may be more grippy and stay put better, unless you know your inflatable is grippy. Some lines of seam sealer or such on your pad will help it grip the hammock and stay put.

Use you bag as a quilt. Or, close it in the neck/hood area and in the foot area, using the 2 way zippers or Velcro, but wide open in the middle. Then slip you legs in thru the wide middle opening, then your head into the hood area thru the inner neck opening. Now you will have most of the comfort and convenience of the mummy bag with most of the convenience of a quilt. Practice this on your bed or floor if too hot outside! If you need to be in the bag in regular mummy bag fashion, and the ground is dry or you have something (pack, pad, ground cloth) to stand on, just get in your bag while standing just inside the HH bottom opening. Pull the hood up over your head and zip up to the chest area, sit down on your pad and lay back/pull feet into hammock. Done, you are now easily inside a mummy bag in the hammock. Zip up the rest of the way as needed.

Finally, you are not likely to need anything for your feet or legs at temps above 65 , even lower if they are inside the foot of a synthetic bag. I find a short torso pad much easier to manage in a hammock than a full length pad.

Have fun, sleep tight! Oh, and read this:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=36920
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 08-01-2011 at 21:04.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    Stock
    Suspension
    Stock
    My very limited experience (6 day bike tour) says that you can get by without anything down to about 60 degrees, sleeping in a sleeping bag. I was waking up cold at 60 degrees and if the forecast was for less than 65, I would wrestle with my foam bed roll for the night. We had a couple of nights down to the low 50's. I am going to try the Poncho Liner Underquilt method to see if I can get rid of the bed roll.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    A neat little trick too...bring some chocolate. Chocolate will get your metabolism going and you will become warm, at least long enough to get you to go to sleep. I have done this multiple times and it works like a charm.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    very good advice, so far folks, I'm glad I found this forum, I would have had to learn the hard way without your advice, and I may have just hated my hammock due to mistakes so thank you all for your input, feel free to share anything else you like

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
    Any other advice from bottom entry owners?
    Yeah... get zippers! (Sorry, the devil made me say that.) I have a HH and did have it modified with zippers. Until then, getting a sleeping paid, a sleeping bag, and myself all aligned was impossible.

But here's what I've done on my last two outings this summer: don't take a sleeping pad. I'm plenty warm enough without an underquilt (don't own one ... yet).

I do take one or two small sections of CCF, which I use for sitting on during the day. At night, I throw it (or them) in the hammock to be under my spine and/or shoulders or butt. They work great. Plenty of insulation right where I do need it, AND they are easily adjustable compared to a full-length pad. You can raise yourself off a small pad in order to adjust it, but can not off a big one.

I use rain gear and spare clothes if I need anything under various other parts of my body.

Thus, easier to get insulation right where it needs to be, and saves the weight of a full pad or UQ (saves the expense too).

This works only in the summer temps, though.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    HG UQ or DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FalconRider View Post
    My very limited experience (6 day bike tour) says that you can get by without anything down to about 60 degrees, sleeping in a sleeping bag. I was waking up cold at 60 degrees and if the forecast was for less than 65, I would wrestle with my foam bed roll for the night. We had a couple of nights down to the low 50's. I am going to try the Poncho Liner Underquilt method to see if I can get rid of the bed roll.
    I agree with Falconrider, under 70 I get a little chilled in the early AM but I can grab a fleece pullover and be happy (I hang it ahead of time over the ridgeline). Under 60 and I zip up my sleeping bag as the night progresses, it's not down so it tolerates the compression more. Under 50 - I'm looking at getting a poncho liner, as this looks to be a very (~$35) inexpensive solution. I haven't hung at that temperature but expect to this fall.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    A helpful tip on modifying a CCF pad to help it conform better in a hammock.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...07&postcount=7
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Thanks knotty, my pads are egg crate style, but its a good idea and very helpful, I will pass that idea on to my customers to save them money.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12