Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    12'x12'
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Strps cinch buckle
    DivaB, if the next time you do sleep out and your butt gets cold again, reach under and check to see just how close your under quilt is to the hammock. Your quilt might start out spot on, but as the night passes and your hammock stretches just a bit, it might be compressing the under quilt just enough to cause a cold spot.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    For the ladies, a flat hammock is often ok, as your Center of Gravity (CG) is at your hips, where for us guys, our CG is above our navel. This makes us guys slide down toward the foot end, which isn't very comfortable. The more level you can get your hammock, the better... raising the foot end would be better for Dakota, but he's not 6' yet, so it's probably not that big of a deal... give him a year...

John

Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Thanks everyone!! I couldn't bring myself to try again last night (sorry), but I spent a lot of time today rehanging the hammocks (pretty much taking up the entire darn porch) but we are heading out to try it tonight. It is too late to take pictures, I'll take some tomorrow and let everyone know how it goes. The sides of the hammocks feel tighter than I think they should, and we're a little higher than I'm willing to fall but we shall see how it goes.

I sure do appreciate everyone here...you all are a wonderful group! I have hung them the same as they were, but with more rafters between them so they are hung at more of a diagonal thus giving more distance between the foot and head end. I also hung the head end (house side) higher than the foot end, perhaps a bit much, but trying to compensate for the slant of the roof. Fingers crossed!
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    WB Blackbird Double Layer 1.0, DYI
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images
    DivaB,

Lots of good experience and advise here. As already mentioned, try to get a flatter lay with your hammock. See if you can hang your hammocks the oposite direction on your porch if that gives you more length to stretch them out to get closer to a 30 degree angle.

If you can get a bit more flatter lay. That should also help with your UQ staying more snug to the hammock thus keeping you warmer.

You can have Dakota or someone lay in the hammock and cinch the UQ's down to make sure they are sealing up good. You don't want your UQ to be compressed to much but you don't want air gaps either. Don't be afraid to cinch.

Lastly installing a ridgeline may help you to get the hammock dialed in more quickly and more consistently.

Keep trying and Good Luck.
    I hike with SCISSORS cause it makes me feel dangerous ... LoL

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123