Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock as camp chair

I notice that the Blackbird is praised as making a great camp chair/lounger,
    such as in this comment by Bearpaw:

"- Side entrance with the zipper allows for easy recliner/chair use."

Wouldn't ANY hammock with a side zipper do the same?
    The HH website suggests some origami techniques
    for turning the hammock inside out
    so as to use it as a camp chair,
    but surely this applies only to the bottom-entry models, yes?

Or am I overlooking something obvious again?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I can use any of my hammocks as recliners/chairs but different materials feel different. In my ripstop nylons hammocks I can sit more upright and they feel flatter on my rear much like a stool. My parachute nylon hammocks are not as flat and my rear ends up cradled and much lower than my knees. Both are comfrotable to lounge in, they just feel different.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    My first hammock several years ago was a HH bottom entry. I could pull the netting up and back and sit down on the fabric easy enough. Didn't have to do much more than that.

I currently use a WB Traveler, and love to sit in it chair style and swing a bit.

Hammock
    GT Double
    Tarp
    None yet
    Insulation
    Ridgerest pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I can use any of my hammocks as recliners/chairs but different materials feel different. In my ripstop nylons hammocks I can sit more upright and they feel flatter on my rear much like a stool. My parachute nylon hammocks are not as flat and my rear ends up cradled and much lower than my knees. Both are comfrotable to lounge in, they just feel different.
    Ah ha! So maybe this is what I've been experiencing. I'm still on my first hammack, a double-sized one from Grand Trunk, and it's parachute nylon. Sitting or laying in it I feel sucked down into the thing. It's comfortable to lay in, but only ok to "sit" in with my feet on or near the ground.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
    Ah ha! So maybe this is what I've been experiencing. I'm still on my first hammack, a double-sized one from Grand Trunk, and it's parachute nylon. Sitting or laying in it I feel sucked down into the thing. It's comfortable to lay in, but only ok to "sit" in with my feet on or near the ground.
    try crossing your legs in it. in my eno double, i scoot my bum down nearer to the bottom edge seam and my feet basically go into the extra flap of fabric there, head in the other one.

if you look in the extreme hanging thread i just posted a few pics and i think you can see me doing that in one, with one leg dangling. youre still reclined, but man im comfy
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I keep meaning to modify the ridge line in my Hennessey to make it detachable. It does kind of get in the way when I use the hammock as a seat. I have a Grand Trunk Ultralight which makes a pretty comfy seat as well. I've found that if I fold it in half and sit with my legs over the creased side, the edge doesn't dig in to the backs of my legs like it sometimes does otherwise. You might give that a try with your ENO too and see how it works.
    Don't alter my altar
    don't desecrate my shrine
    My church is the water
    and my home is underneath the shady pines

From the song "One Man's Shame" by William Elliot Whitmore

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    I have a WBBB, the ridgeline definitely gets in the way when i am trying to sit in it. It is at the just the right height to make me lean forward, and if I shift my body behind it, it is too far back.

Images
    OP, The answer is yes. Just about any hammock can be used as a chair. Having a side zipper so you can get the net out of the way helps alot.

I usually put my extra cloths bag in the hammock and use it as a lower back pillow when I'm sitting. It provides a little more support.

hth

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    Eurohike Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY sleepingbag UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I like to raise my angle of hang by 10 degrees or so when using my hammock as a chair. And yes, any hammock can be used as a chair, just some better than others and imo the key factor is the width of the hammock. The more material you have to play with the more laid back you can go.
    "Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws." ~ Douglas Adams

Hammock
    HH Asym Side Zip
    Tarp
    Siltarp II/HH Hex
    Insulation
    Window reflector
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Wouldn't ANY hammock with a side zipper do the same?
    Dunno about that. I have the HH side zip and found the internal ridge line to be the show stopper. When sitting in it I was forced to let the ridgeline press into the back of my neck or duck my head under it. Just found it to be really awkward. Was thinking of researching whether it was a load bearing ridgeline or not (I dont think it is) and then modding it so it can be taken down if needed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast