Hammock
    bannana
    Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a
    there is a thread that someone did wonderfully that compared all the main brands and had weights pics and all that good stuff, but i cant remember which it was... which of course makes this reply semi useless.

but it had the comparrison to all these brands mentioned and more i think.
    ima try to fid it
    I'm a Hammocker stuck in a tenter's body.....

Insulation
    Pad
    The skeeter Breyer is way cheaper than the other options...anyone know why? Anyone have any experience with them?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hammock Bliss also offers a hammock with integrated bugnet for $79.95. It is listed at 28oz with the stock suspension so there are opportunities to lighten it up.

Cheers

Brian

Insulation
    Pad
    Thx guys, I think i'm just going to pony up and get a WBBB when I have the cash...

Hammock
    bannana
    Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a
    depending on your size or likes (hennessy could be a gamble with ziper or bottom) you could get some on ebay, think i saw an expedition for 135 s/h inc......

or here on the FS forum...i got lucky and snagged a hammock, people switch gear.

for the skeeter beeter, i havent seen much, i think one review stated he got bit thru the bottom....but coulda been something inside.... idk... i see alot of people listing the SB as their hammock option...... what i did was find some people a bit post heavy and with the hammock i wanted and i PMed them. i was worried caus esome forums when you pm people they get grumpy, actually the opposite was here, people start rambling on....because its their passion. and you can get some good "free" information from them....like slapstraps....and how a brick might be more useful as a life perserver. (im just being mean their could be worse.)
    or you could do a DIY some people have GREAT how to's and you can make it to your lvl of difficulty but more importantly your specifications. and usually for the cost of raw materials and some elbow grease.
    just a sugestion. i didnt do it. but only stitching i do...is stitching if your cut. rah!

heres a cool netted hammock. i dont know much about it but i see the name thrown around plenty. i think it gets overlooked beause well for me the website and the name of the hammock arent the same. im simple....that wasnt simple.
    http://www.mosquitohammock.com/
    Last edited by Ears; 07-27-2011 at 19:09. Reason: link time!..second edit... forgot to put the link in...
    I'm a Hammocker stuck in a tenter's body.....

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    Not terribly light weight though, right?
    Wrong. Suspension weighs. Everybody is making hammocks of the same or similar materials. The only heavy hammocks have lots or all the features or necessities or conveniences, with nominal weights for the feature:

capacity for large or heavy occupant 5 oz
    additional layer 7 oz
    additional pockets 3 oz
    purposely heavy (bivy-class) bottom 6oz
    storm shield 3 oz
    built in bug netting 4 oz
    zipper to attach bug netting 3oz
    spreader bars 3 oz

There is variance within each of those extras. The rest of the variance is in suspension.

Q: Want an easy way to get rid of of 10lb of ugly fat?
    A: Cut off your head.

-----Wise-*** kid's playground joke

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Quote Originally Posted by lundquistas View Post
    The skeeter Breyer is way cheaper than the other options...anyone know why? Anyone have any experience with them?
    Don't know why they're cheaper. They're mass produced so certainly not a cottage industry or anything. The stitching on mine doesn't seem to be of the highest quality but it hasn't been a problem at all out of the dozens and dozens of nights I've camped in it. As far as I can see, there's no reason to get a more expensive one first. I don't know if the expensive ones are more comfortable somehow, or if it's just for the features, but this is a pretty basic nuts and bolts hammock that's cheap, light and comfy enough for me at any rate.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk double parachute
    Tarp
    f.f.tarp/superfly
    Insulation
    military bag/pad
    Suspension
    whoopies/ straps
    Images
    i was just looking at the sb pro on the site it says 28 oz i just weighed mine with whoopie slings ,straps and shock cord for netting and it was 16oz on the nose???

Insulation
    Pad
    Is the only difference between the regular and the pro is that the pro can hold up to 400 pounds? Do you guys get a pretty flat lay in them?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    The Claytor is an often ignored option.
    How wide is a Claytor hammock? I have The Claytor Diamond Fly and I like it alot. It's well made so, I'd imagine that their hammocks are too. There're lighter options and it used to be a better deal because the $50 price tag used to include shipping but, that's before the bottom fell out of the dollar.
    Did you mean Skeeter Beater? My first hammock was a Skeeter Beater Pro and I hated it! It tacoed so badly that I couldn't see out of it, or get a breeze. The bug netting tore easily and got stuck in the zipper alot. Plus being single layer I'd spend the night chasing my pad around the hammock.
    Thx guys, I think i'm just going to pony up and get a WBBB when I have the cash...
    You can't go wrong with that !
    Is the only difference between the regular and the pro is that the pro can hold up to 400 pounds? Do you guys get a pretty flat lay in them?
    I didn't but I'm a pretty big guy.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast