Question eno dry fly tarp???

hello my name is atticus, i am new in to hammock camping (and a terrible speller... i know its unrelated) any ways long story short i just purchased a eno dry fly rain tarp and i have been reading some mixed reviews on it. some people love it (all the reviews i read till i bought it did) and some people hate it (just about all the reviews ive read after i already paid for it). what i want to know is what do you think about it and why (what was your experience with it). i will be taking this thing out in what is supposed to be some nasty weather this weekend ill share my own experience with it after that.

Hammock
    bannana
    Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a

please take with grain of salt.

from what i could gather.... and if you search my posts youll see that over the past few days i was doing the exact same thing (prior to buying tho)

the resounding hate isnt towards the tarp but towards the slapstraps, due to stretching. that being said.

the tarp isnt critiqued on the poor craftmanship but the layout.

it has three tieouts per side. and what looks like drastic cuts. (these are attributed to a combination of "cat cuts" for taughtness and as a water wicking guide aswell (middle tieout- as attributed by the company discription).

the drastic cuts are what people are hesitant of..... look up online the "eno onelink" it seems like the tarp is just there for cool factor.....however if you look at the dimensions the numbers are generally on the same scale as others. and the measurements are 10'6 x 5'2 problem is most companie measurements rate the longest part of the side...so how much area is covered? lots of cuts.....did i meantion those curvasious cuts?

i dont think its the fact it sucks...because i dont believe it does othewise you would have gotten that hint well before you bought it.

its just a little more unforgiving when set up. you will have to be savvy on placement. which way the wind is going blah blah blah.....but every tarp isfinicky to a point. and i read the asym tarps are the most unforgiving....
    the point is reviews are great. but if it does the job and your happy with it then please post it. if you are reading the posts you will notice most of (but Not all) are observations.

also it can be argued that while it is a quality tarp.....the money can get you more tarp or better quality. idk.

biggest pont to this ramble is you have one, use it, abuse it, and prove the naysayers wrong by posting up picks.....or prove em right by showing how wet you get from a horizontal rain........hope this helps. btw. it took alot of persuading to get me off the eno bandwagon....it just looks high speed low drag.
    **** those cuts are hawt
    I'm a Hammocker stuck in a tenter's body.....

Hammock
    bannana
    Tarp
    n/a
    Insulation
    n/a
    Suspension
    n/a
    the first post was dedicated to helping solve your probem.

this post however is dedicating to explain itself aswell as welcome you to hammockery heaven!
    Rah
    I'm a Hammocker stuck in a tenter's body.....

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you can sleep dry with a stock HH tarp you can probably sleep dry with the ENO dry fly. If it's the one I am thinking of, I've seen it in use and was unimpressed with the drastic cut design but to be fair I have never used one myself. ENO hammocks have a very good rep here. ENO slap straps... we'll let that one go. The tarps are a mixed bag. There are lighter and larger tarps but the ENO ones appear to be serviceable.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    HH ULB, ENO
    Tarp
    DIY, ENO Dryfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    I have the Eno Dry Fly and can say that it can handle a steady rain pretty good...if you pitch it as low as you can stand. I would pitch mine so that it would rest on my hammocks ridgeline, its tight but once you get in your hammock you will seperate from the tarp alittle. Also another key factor in staying dry in it is pay attention where you setup, try to use natural buffers (bushes, boulders and hill sides) to block the rain from coming in from the sides or ends. I have actually used it as a two person tarp believe it or not for the most part we stayed dry in a nice steady rain, if the rain would of been blowing around that would of been a different story. It does have some weight to it though for the covarage that you get. After using it for a couple of years I decided to make a custum tarp since I hike in the winter more than anytime else, which ended up being a lighter than the Dry Fly.

The length measures 11ft. at the ridgeline 14ft. across the bottom edge so that i can fold the end in to make doors, I also went with a cat cut design for pitching as taunt as possible. The width is 10ft. across.

Now when I introduce people that are interested in using a hammock on backpacking trips I let them use my ENO Singlenest along with the Eno Dry Fly.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I found it was OK for straight down rain but because of the deep cuts it didn't give as good side protection as other tarp shapes. It's also heavier vs silnylon so that is also something to consider if weight is important to you.

For the same price as a Dryfly and over half the weight you can get a Wilderness Logics Tadpole. You'd get a better tarp IMO, support a smaller business that has excellent customer service and you be buying an American made product.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    mamajamba
    Insulation
    Speer/thermarest
    Suspension
    whoopie
    have used one many time it can handle what ever mother nature has for it. its all in how you pitch it

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alacamper View Post
    have used one many time it can handle what ever mother nature has for it. its all in how you pitch it
    +1 Also if you really worried about it you can do the underquilt protector mod to a poncho.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

Dry fly

Ive had mine awhile and put it through rough conditions on an island. Just make sure you buy stakes that have dirt gripping teeth.A bit heavy but worth every ounce

• + New Posts