WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip

What am I doing wrong or....

What can I do differently. I have switched my HH a-sym zip to whoopies and zing it ridge line. Now the tarp has been always on one side or the other of the whoopies and doesn't give me a flat lie on the tarp. am i just too close to the tree or am I doing something wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I usually run the tarp ridgeline lower than where I have the tree straps. Not sure if that'll help or not, though.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

maybe some tarp tensioners might help to apply pressure where needed. A bend along the top isn't bad either as long as it's taught. Got a pic of what the tarps doing?

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    That is the thing, I know in the pictures the tarp is over the straps but when I put the tarp UNDER the straps the tarp contacts the whoopies and bunches up against it. So it doesn't give it a flat lie. Is it because the trees are to close together or am I doing something wrong. If it helps the trees are about 11-12 feet apart and for a Ridge line I am using a dutch hook and tarp flyz.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    when I can,,depending on the hang of the hammock,,I use prussiks off the tie lines of my whoopies to the trees,,and hook the tarp to them,,its the same thing as running a tarp off a separate line but with tightening the prussiks,,the tarp which is a 12' x 10' silnylon from Mat Cat...will ride about a 1' if you want it that high before getting into the hammock,,

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not sure about the HH asym. but I try to set up my DIY hammock with trees that are 15 feet apart.
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthauk View Post
    That is the thing, I know in the pictures the tarp is over the straps but when I put the tarp UNDER the straps the tarp contacts the whoopies and bunches up against it. So it doesn't give it a flat lie. Is it because the trees are to close together or am I doing something wrong. If it helps the trees are about 11-12 feet apart and for a Ridge line I am using a dutch hook and tarp flyz.
    I don't know that the distance of the trees has anything to do with what you are describing, if I am understanding you correctly. However, 11 feet sounds too close. I would say you want at least 13 feet if possible. 13-15 about optimal.

If the tarp is contacting the whoopies, AND this is causing a problem, then the tarp either need to be shorter or higher. A high enough tarp wil avoid the contact. A shorter tarp will allow the tarp to be closer to the hammock before the whoopies contact the tarp.

But of course, you probably don't want either a smaller tarp or, if it is raining, a higher tarp. The further(higher) the small diamond tarp is from the hammock, the more exposed the hammock is to weather. That is one advantage of attaching the fly the HH rope's prussicks. It allows a very close to the hammock tarp without any interference like you mention. Also, when the hammock sags closer to the ground upon weighting(entry), the tarp stays close to the hammock. Disadvantage: because the tarp heads groundward with the hammock, it becomes loose and floppy and noisy. There are a lot of tricks that somewhat alleviate this problem, but that is a different discussion.

Hammock
    DIY SL 1.9 Black
    Tarp
    OES Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Big Agnes IAC
    Suspension
    Whoopies or cinch
    From the looks of the pics( and what you wrote) you arent running the tarps line in a V shape around the whoopies below the tree huggers. I had the same problem at first that you had with the line interfering with the whoopie but I followed Dejoha's post here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16650
    and it cleared everything up.

Edit:Just saw the photos on the computer and I see your problem. Those trees are really close so there in-lies a bulk of the problem. You should still do the V around the lines though. This will give you clearance around any line running to the hammock up to were your tarp is attached to your ridgeline.
    Last edited by JPsax; 07-24-2011 at 22:15.
    Every time I hang in a tree I get a coconut to the head.....stupid coconuts

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I will have to make sure that the next time I hang I will find further apart trees and see if that Helps. I thought that might be the problem but wasn't sure.

• + New Posts