Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Big Mambajamba
    Images

Underquilt Indecision......

I've managed to stay comfortable through the summer with my Warbonnet blackbird and no underquilt, (used my neoair partially inflated and hated wiggling all over the place with it!) but fall is coming and a decision needs to be made...
    I am generally a cold sleeper and use a 0 degree bag most of the time. I have watched video's and read until my head hurt and still am torn between going with the YETI (winter of course) that I know is made for my hammock and a full length Underquilt. (Brandon, why don't you make a full UQ?? )
    I just don't relish the idea of sleeping with my pack under my feet or messing with another pad that will wiggle around, but then again don't want to overkill the situation.
    I can't finance TWO underquilts... Thoughts are very welcome.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves." ~John Muir

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Four words... HAMMOCK GEAR WINTER INCUBATOR. It's worth every penny and gram.
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I much prefer a full length underquilt! It is less hassle (no other footpad etc) and to me its more comfortable! more comfortable in that I hate having the shockcord run up over my feet. I made mine, but if was going to purchase one i would probably get the Hammock Gear 3 season or winter incubator. http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/inde...&products_id=5

but there are some other vendors (checkout vendors on the forums homepage) that make good gear as well!!

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    i have slept very comfotably down to 20 degrees plus wind chill with my hudson river quilt and a 15 degree bag with light wieght long johns, i would consider myself a cold sleeper, i really think that the extra few ounces of a full length quilt are worth the wieght, i can't stand having pads in the hammock with me

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Suspension
    NCAA
    I really like my 3 season yeti. It fits my bird like a glove and there's no adjusting to do. Plus, the Yeti slides forward and back so if you're legs get too cold, you just slide it down under your legs for awhile. Also, a short pad is easier to deal with than a full length UQ in my opinion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    May I suggest the Hammock Gear 3 season or Winter Incubator. I have several quilts from Adam over at hammockgear.com and the quality and workmanship is top notch. I have a 3 season incubator and it fits my WBBB with no problem. Keeps me nice and toasty. Check my gallery for pictures. I have easily gone down into the 20 with my 3 season set's and single digits with my winter set all from Hammock Gear. All the vendors make great products here on HF but Hammock Gear is my go to for quilts. Just my 2 cents.

edit: oohh and I forgot to add if the yeti is to short for you liking and the full is to long check out the Phoenix 3/4. Its longer then the yeti but not as long as a full. The Phoenix is my go to quilt in all seasons. I prefer it over a full length cause I carry an emergency sleep pad any ways, which I also use as a sit pad.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Incubator is a great UQ. Very little fuss or muss.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoope Slings
    Great question and I have been wondering the same, as I too have a WBBB on order. Would like to hear what other BB owners use

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
    I've managed to stay comfortable through the summer with my Warbonnet blackbird and no underquilt, (used my neoair partially inflated and hated wiggling all over the place with it!) but fall is coming and a decision needs to be made...
    I am generally a cold sleeper and use a 0 degree bag most of the time. I have watched video's and read until my head hurt and still am torn between going with the YETI (winter of course) that I know is made for my hammock and a full length Underquilt. (Brandon, why don't you make a full UQ?? )
    I just don't relish the idea of sleeping with my pack under my feet or messing with another pad that will wiggle around, but then again don't want to overkill the situation.
    I can't finance TWO underquilts... Thoughts are very welcome.
    I know why! Because he feels ( or used to) that, when on the (rt foot towards the) diagonal, most full length quilts have a tendency to leave a gap to the side of the left leg. Which noticeably decreases efficiency on that side. Thus, a pad under the legs guarantees equal warmth to both legs, while saving significant weight, especially if you have sit pad with you anyway. Plus a much thinner pad is needed by most under the legs than the torso. Whereas a full length quilt is same thickness full length.

Finally, even a lot of folks who hate pads in a hammock find one unnoticeable if just under the legs, and in all but out right cold weather, some people don't need a leg pad at all. All of which save weight and volume and money.

So right or wrong, those used to be his reasons for torso length only!

Quote Originally Posted by taylo166 View Post
    I really like my 3 season yeti. It fits my bird like a glove and there's no adjusting to do. Plus, the Yeti slides forward and back so if you're legs get too cold, you just slide it down under your legs for awhile. Also, a short pad is easier to deal with than a full length UQ in my opinion.
    I agree!

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    RE: Partial UQs

I have both a 3S Yeti (customized to be 6" longer than standard...'cause I'm 6'5" tall) and a 3S Phoenix. The Phoenix is both longer and wider, better for me and my height. In warmer weather (down to 40 degrees or so though I've pushed it into the high 20s) I prefer the Yeti in summer/warmer usage because it's lighter and packs smaller. In cooler weather, I take the Phoenix.

When my wife comes with me, she gets the Yeti and I get the Phoenix, regardless of temperatures.

In cold weather expected at 20 degrees or less, I switch to a JRB Mount Washington 4 full length UQ.

Each UQ fills a niche in my arsenal of bottom insulation without a lot of overlap. It's a substantial investment in gear, but given that it's often split between my wife and I, it's just part of the commitment to our shared outdoor activity.

If I had to pick JUST ONE UQ, I'd go with the 3 season Phoenix. It fits me a bit better and has the biggest span of comfortable temperature usage for me.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast