Hammock
    UL BMBH
    Tarp
    CloudBurst
    Insulation
    Phoenix & Stealth
    Suspension
    Whoopies & DutchTi
    Nice! Since I came to HF it has felt like my brain was injected with hammock info by means of fire hose to the nose - I had been considering writting up something similar to organize my mind a little better, so it was nice to read something in the same ball park. With enough well written articles like this HF could sell a member-written book
    Support: HammockGear - Zpacks - Jacks R Better - DreamHammock - Dutchware - AHE - Black Rock - Grand Trunk

Great work Dale! It should be a Sticky.
    +1

You could also mention the joy of DIY projects
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    It should be a Sticky.
    Here is what I said at BPL when I read through Dales post there....."Dale, great job putting all that together. For some folks the change to a hammock can have a sharp learning curve. Info like this that condenses and outlines the basics helps. I would hope you would post this at HF if you haven't as it would be a good intro sickie."

Thanks for posting it over here Dale.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Well now I feel dumb, this took me a couple of months, you did it in a few weeks!!!!!

John

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    That is absolutey a very good write up...."Fair and Balanced"
    Welcome...
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by TAS View Post
    Well now I feel dumb, this took me a couple of months, you did it in a few weeks!!!!!

John

I'm a total gear freak and a regular at Backpackinglight.com. I found out late in life that I should have been an industrial designer and I soak up technology like a sponge. With my background in ultralight hiking gear, the jump to hammocks is just a little suspension and bottom insulation techniques really.

The physics and materials are the same-- tarps, quilts, down and synthetic fillers, CCF pads, high performance cordage, silnylon, bug screens, condensation, thermal properties, weight-saving principles and good ol' sleeping in the woods. It's just moved up off the ground a couple feet

Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Well done. I especially like the paragraph on underquilts, truly "the dirty little secret of hammock camping" if you are trying to reduce your base pack weight.

If you decide to expand on this article, I suggest the following topics:

- example of UL hammock set-up vs. a standard hammock set-up

- difference between gathered end vs bridge hammocks

- types of suspensions

IMO a tarp, sleep system, and ground cloth are always going to be a lighter alternative to hammocks. But hammocks have an advantage in terms of comfort and site selection in forested areas. That said, you certainly apply most UL concepts to hammock systems.
    Love my JRB BMB

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings

Ultralight principles

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post

IMO a tarp, sleep system, and ground cloth are always going to be a lighter alternative to hammocks. But hammocks have an advantage in terms of comfort and site selection in forested areas. That said, you certainly apply most UL concepts to hammock systems.
    Thanks!

Hammocks will never be as light as a Spartan ultralight ground system. And the ground system will never be as comfortable as a hammock, even going weight-for-weight. That was obvious the first time I climbed into a $15 bare bones hammock; all the bells went off and said, "Ahhhhhh."

There is no reason that all of the ground ultralight principles can't be applied to hammocks. The concepts are short and simple:

*Don't pack anything you won't use.
    *Leave the toys at home and enjoy the natural experience.
    *Only take the quantities that you will use for the trip-- you don't need 3 ounces of bug juice for an overnighter.
    *Seek out the lightest, highest performance materials that will do the job.
    *Apply multiple use gear wherever possible.
    *Don't fear nature and the outdoors, causing you to try to meet every contingency and over pack. Use your brains-- the best equipment you have.

Throwing budget out of the mix, it really isn't hard to get an ultralight hammock system together. You can buy an off-the-shelf hammock that is 7 ounces, and whoopie slings and polyester straps are very light weight. A bug sock is just a few ounces, and there are lots of silnylon and Cuben tarps. Under quilts fall into the same materials and physics as topside sleeping gear. IMHO, a good ultralight hammock system shouldn't have to be more than 2-3 pounds more than a ground system and that margin can be narrowed I'm sure.

Only the hammock, suspension, and under quilt are "extras." The under quilt is only "extra" in excess of what your ground sleeping pad is. Some get by with a 1/8" torso-sized Evazote pad, but I think you will find many who are using more than that. Tarps are typically larger than the super ultralight rigs.

All said and done, the hammock system will be drier, warmer, insect free, and SO much more comfortable. A hammock camper will never have rocks and sticks poking them or sleeping in mud or running water. If all my other gear is truly ultralight, I might be working up to an 8 pound base weight. I can take it!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    IMHO Tree to Tree Gear should be moved from the "Accessories" section to the "Hammock Manufacturers" section since that's what they are rapidly becoming known for. In fact I would go so far as to suggest a name change for their company. I think of them as a hammock manufacturer first and foremost....not a purveyor of gear. In fact their gear selection is somewhat limited but their hammocks are quickly rising to the top. Just my opinion.

Miguel

Images
    Great read...as a newbie to this too, I can relate to the learning curve. Thanks!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast