Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I think your idea has value but it also may be a solution in search of a problem. Many expect to have mosquito problems with a corner weighted bug net but I've yet to hear of someone who actually experienced that.
    I totally agree, check out my video from a trip last summer. I had no issues with the corner weighted bug net.

"Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    doogie - Thanks for sharing that. That's a pretty convincing testimonial of the efficacy of these weighted corner nets.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I want to clarify something. It looks like the head and foot ends aren't sewed together, except for the 6" pieces at the top which have an opening for the suspension. If that is true, are the 6" pieces just used to keep the net in place? Could you just use a grosgrain loop to slide over your hammock knot to secure it and make it easy to pull the netting back if you just wanted to sit?
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    grannypat - The 6" sections have velcro, so you can put the whole net over your hung hammock and then secure the velcro around the suspension, just outside the hammock knot.

You're idea about the grosgrain loop might work but might also leave a gap for skeeters to enter. If you can do it w/o gapping that would be a nice alternative approach.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WBBB, LSoH Warrior
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon
    Insulation
    Wooki/LSoH Toaster
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    An old thread, but up to a few days ago, all I was finding for diy bug nets was related to the Fronkey. I needed a detached bug net for my wife's Dutch netless. She has back problems and it has to be easy to get in an out of the hammock.

We sewed this weighted detached net. We hemmed the whole perimeter and used grosgrain and velcro at both ends (the 6" sides). We totally love it. Thank you Knotty.

I know this is an old thread but after a bit of looking around this is the design that I'm going with for my bug net �� I do, however, have a HUGE aversion to Velcro and netting lol the potential for catching and tearing isn't to my liking. I'm not sure I like the idea of sewing the ends either (picky, I know :/ ) anyways I had the idea of buying those thin magnet sheets, the ones you use to stick photos on the fridge with or the kind those mosquito doors are made of you see on TV. Has anyone tried that? I plan to cut thin strips and sew a few pieces into the hem and see how that works. Hopefully I'll be working on it this weekend or coming week. ��

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    SnuggPak
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Oolybooly View Post
    I know this is an old thread but after a bit of looking around this is the design that I'm going with for my bug net �� I do, however, have a HUGE aversion to Velcro and netting lol the potential for catching and tearing isn't to my liking. I'm not sure I like the idea of sewing the ends either (picky, I know :/ ) anyways I had the idea of buying those thin magnet sheets, the ones you use to stick photos on the fridge with or the kind those mosquito doors are made of you see on TV. Has anyone tried that? I plan to cut thin strips and sew a few pieces into the hem and see how that works. Hopefully I'll be working on it this weekend or coming week. ��
    Refrigerator door magnets.It will end up being a bit on the heavy side,but if you can live with that...
    Nothing to see here. Keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by SCWalker View Post
    Refrigerator door magnets.It will end up being a bit on the heavy side,but if you can live with that...
    A 1"x24" strip (it's only 1mm thick) is only about 15grams and all I'd be needing really. Im not an ultralight packer by any means but I'll see how well it works which is what matters more to me

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I just made another hammock the other day with this style bugnet, and I never really get why it isn't a lot more common. It works great, and when finding rocks is scarce, I tend to just put stuff from my pack into the pockets to weigh it down. I don't really see the downside of this bugnet other than believing that it works.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345