Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Packed size of Blackbird

I am debating a Blackbird vs a Ultralite Backpacker Asym Zip. Hennessy lists the packed size but Warbonnet does not. I am considering the Blackbird 1.1 double layer with the webbing suspension, and the Mamajamba tarp, probably the one with panel pulls. It looks as if the Warbonnet as described will be around 2.5 pounds total which is only a half pound more than the Ultralite. I will be using this primarily for bicycle touring so size is very important in this case and weight as well. A half pound won't necessarily break me but I don't want the packed size to get out of hand.

can anyone tell me the packed size of the Blackbird and tarp as described?

Thanks

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Do a search, it's come up here a few times and I'm sure you could even find some photos. The Blackbird is just a little larger than a 32oz Nalgene bottle.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    I have both of the hammocks you describe, although I have a Superfly, not the MJ tarp. I would say that using the stock stuff sacks that come with both, that the WBBB packs just about the same size by itself as the HH w/stock tarp does. That being said, you have to cram the HH w/tarp in the bag, and the WB is pretty soft in the bag. IMHO, if that little difference in size doesn't matter, you are better off with the WB w/ MJ tarp. Much more coverage with the tarp, and I find that the BB is a more versatile hammock and the stock suspenion is easier to use & adjust that the stock suspension on the HH. Now if you are interested in modifying your setups...well that is up to you and them my comments won't help much. HYOH!

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Here, a quick google brought this up:

Hammock
    WL Light Owl/Dangerbird
    Tarp
    WBBMJ Spinn+doors
    Insulation
    HammockGear Down!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    "One of the best things you can do in this world is take a nap in the woods." ~ Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

"While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit." ~ an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch

Enjoy the day
    Shane

Images
    the silnylon mj will compress to about half the size of the stuffsac it comes in, there won't be too much difference in packed size of the 2 options you're considering.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    the silnylon mj will compress to about half the size of the stuffsac it comes in, there won't be too much difference in packed size of the 2 options you're considering.
    That was what I was trying to say!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post
    Do a search, it's come up here a few times and I'm sure you could even find some photos. The Blackbird is just a little larger than a 32oz Nalgene bottle.
    I have been searching for a week. Thanks for the help. I found a photo but it wasn't really clear, I would like actual dimensions. I would also like the dimensions to be with the tarp included as I asked in my OP.

Thanks for all the pics. I foud those while searching earlier. Could someone post the dimensions in inches or centimeters, I'm not picky, of the Blackbird 1.1 double layer and the Mamajamba Tarp along with suspension? That is what I am looking for which is obviously why I haven't found it via search. I searched for a week and found pictures. The one Shane posted is the closest to helping since it included a shot of a $20 bill which is 6 inches in length. It still doesn't show the tarp and the 1.1 double layer packed together. I'm sorry, I'm just looking for an actual numerical dimension so I can match it up with my bags and other equipment. A picture won't help unless you can show the exact combination I am looking at in an image with it sitting right next to the Hennessy Ultralite Backpackpacker so I can compare since I know the packed size of it.

Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    I have both of the hammocks you describe, although I have a Superfly, not the MJ tarp. I would say that using the stock stuff sacks that come with both, that the WBBB packs just about the same size by itself as the HH w/stock tarp does. That being said, you have to cram the HH w/tarp in the bag, and the WB is pretty soft in the bag. IMHO, if that little difference in size doesn't matter, you are better off with the WB w/ MJ tarp. Much more coverage with the tarp, and I find that the BB is a more versatile hammock and the stock suspenion is easier to use & adjust that the stock suspension on the HH. Now if you are interested in modifying your setups...well that is up to you and them my comments won't help much. HYOH!
    Thanks. I like the features of the WB although space is at a premium so any little difference makes, well, a difference.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast