Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    why did your setup only change by .1 ounce with those mods? the stock straps, suspension, and 2 of his biners on a 1.1 is 28.6 oz. Perhaps the sack is an ounce also. Hmmm.
    I posted the weight from my spreadsheet, but you got me to thinking. So, I actually weighed it again and got only 27.4 ounces in the sack.

I think weighed it before finishing my mods and put that in my spreadsheet.
    Now I have updated my spreadsheet - thanks Wags!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Love the universal Nalgene bottle. Especially because objects are always larger than the bottle in every comparison I've seen.

So, here's what you do. Consult a chart on rope of various types for density. Nylon rope doesn't float. So its a little denser the water.
    "A pint's a pound around the world around"
    So, consistent with my efforts to stuff nylon fabric into stuff sacks: A 16 oz pound of hammock stuffs aggressively to a little over a 16 oz pint volume.

A major reason for me to use Amsteel? Well it floats on water, but is so strong, suspension made of it creates little volume. 4 oz >---> 5oz.

Caveat on the above: I haven't found a way, because there is none, of compressing bug netting. Eyeballing it, I'd say and estimate its volume AS IF it were three times as heavy.

Perspective: The Grand Trunk Nano 7 includes 2 nice carabiners --credit marketing -- and no suspension. Set aside those 'biners, and an entire 1600lb test strength suspension can be done so that the hammock kit weighs barely over 8 oz. And, important for me, with it tucked into a pocket of a jersey, compressed so it is the size of a 12 oz beverage can.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-24-2011 at 11:23. Reason: correction

While I am waiting for my 1.7 DD Blackbird to arrive, it's been my experience every time I go hiking, if I roll versus stuff my gear into my backpack, I will save a lot of room. A bit more time consuming perhaps, but it does work. When mine does come in, I'll see if I can do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    if you're concerned about the weight there's always the single layers, but the double is better if you planning on using a pad for awhile
    I'm not worried about the slight weight difference, just the packed dimensions as I asked. I was just measuring it against other things in my bags and rack.

I have already ordered the 1.1 double layer and the tarp based on the answeres in the thread. Once I got the dimensions from you I placed the order. Thanks again fro your help.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123