Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    Pod style only works on hammocks with out attached bug nets right? Any suggestions on how to take a WBBB down to that low of a temperature and stay toasty warm?
    Use a winter UQ and pad or two to supplement.....I have done that.
    I would still put my down parka over my feet.....it works wonders. Easy to do with the netting thrown back.
    Or....use double UQs. Stack a 3 season with a winter one.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    I've found the Peapod method as Shug stated to be the best method at -0 F and below.
    I also use it when ever I don't need a bug net.
    Simple, effective and only need one over sized sleeping bag.
    Some hammocks with a bug net you just flip over and they work fine.

Below -0 F there is no mositure in the air, it's all froze.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

Hammock
    WarbonnetBlackbird
    Tarp
    Olive Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubat Dempsey TQ
    Suspension
    Stock Webbing
    Ahh, I see, so you guys are slipping a sleeping bag over the hammock and pulling it up to your chest? That makes sense. I should try that next time I do sub-zero camping. I just don't have a sleeping bag since I've gone to all quilts.

Neat setup Shug, and your riot of colored down gear makes you look like a very rich homeless guy. LOL

What oversized bag are you guys recommending for this? I'll start saving now so I have it when winter comes.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I use the wbbb also and I just toss the bug netting over the side(i really wish there was a way to remove the bugnetting) and put my bivy over and let it be supported by the ridgeline. Guess I wont really be able to find out until winter gets here, just wondering how effective/how much warmth the bivy will add to the equation.

I figure with just the icubator, burrow top quilt and my clothing I could probably do down to -10 to -15 ragne comfortably. But I have no doubt that would not suffice nearing the -30 to -40 range. I am guessing the bivy will add at least 10 degrees.

What would be the best thing to add into the mix and not compromise the comfort of the UQ? I was thinking the best option would be to use a 1/8 foam pad, or a space blanket. Thoughts?

-30 to 40 wont be my normal trips in winter, but some of the places I go do get down that low often enough so I really want to find a solid winter system i can depend on for the hammock and not have to result in going to ground.

Hammock
    Hanging...
    Tarp
    Up...
    Insulation
    Down...
    Suspension
    Tight at 30'
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    It works just like you are saying. Nothing difficult or special about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    I don't care where you are...at -30*F there is not much moisture left in the air anywhere!
    Once i talked with a lady, that came from Siberia(Russia). She said that the winters here(Denmark) felt considerably colder than the place she came from. I've pondered a lot over that, but realizing i live in one big coastal zone(we have about 4400 miles of coastline), where the humidity factor really comes into play, even in the summertime(but also in the winter time). I quite agree that "dry cold" ain't as bad as "moist cold"... but i have never seen any scientific proof to this

So just get lot's of down(no get more than that!) make sure your setup is windproof and snug. And pitch that tarp as far down as possible(and the hot-water bottle trick really works wonders!). Then lay back and enjoy the cold
    /Bomber.LTD
    Member of the infamous "Hyperborean Hang Gang"
    ]
    "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    -Thomas Edison
    "If there is anything bigger than my ego in here, i want it dragged outside and shot"!!!
    -Zap Brannigan

To much time on your hands? Waste some time here

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rambler View Post
    I use the wbbb also and I just toss the bug netting over the side(i really wish there was a way to remove the bugnetting) and put my bivy over and let it be supported by the ridgeline. Guess I wont really be able to find out until winter gets here, just wondering how effective/how much warmth the bivy will add to the equation.

I figure with just the icubator, burrow top quilt and my clothing I could probably do down to -10 to -15 ragne comfortably. But I have no doubt that would not suffice nearing the -30 to -40 range. I am guessing the bivy will add at least 10 degrees.

What would be the best thing to add into the mix and not compromise the comfort of the UQ? I was thinking the best option would be to use a 1/8 foam pad, or a space blanket. Thoughts?

-30 to 40 wont be my normal trips in winter, but some of the places I go do get down that low often enough so I really want to find a solid winter system i can depend on for the hammock and not have to result in going to ground.
    Before I went all Poddy I used an Big Agnes Insulated pad slightly inflated.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rambler View Post
    So in the hammock world, with a winter incubator, what else would I need to do to comfortably be able to survive say -25 to -30 temps on average?
    Yikes! Where do camp? Are Bear Vaults polar bear resistant? I've had good luck mixing pads and underquilts but, some don't like pads at all.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Exped combo, exped basic
    Tarp
    DYI, six sided
    Insulation
    foam refletex,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post

What oversized bag are you guys recommending for this? I'll start saving now so I have it when winter comes.
    I've had great luck using Featherd Freinds Winter Wren, Exped Large Wall Creeper in 650 wt and Wiggys ECOT bag . The one thing they all have in common they have a draw string bottom and a center zip. Using in combation
    I have gone down to -30 and would go down to -40.

Bivy will add 10 degrees and realy help if windy. If out of Goretex condsesation may be a problem. I find windpruff cotton bivy bag to work best in -0f temps.

When I use a heavy duty foam windsheild sun garde directly under me
    I have great results in the colder temps.

fourdog

www.fourdog.com

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Has anyone tried this with an EMS Mountain Light -20*F bag? Do you think that it could be done with this bag? Any opinions would be appreciated. I might try to set this up this weekend just to see if it is possible...

Images
    I love winter hanging.
    In Colorado it's hard to find temps much below -20F so I have taylored my gear for 0F to -20F.
    I use:
    OES delux tarp with Grizz Beak doors on 1 end.
    wbbb with burrito top cover,
    winter phoenix, covered with a 2QZQ breathable under cover,
    WM -5F sleeping bag, with REI blowup sit pad under my feet in bag.

Clothing worn, cabelas silk long johns, 200 weight polar fleece pants and top, down jacket and insulated snow pants.
    Polypro sock liners heavy smartwool socks, hat was sheepskin lamie, smartwool gloves.

Could probably go to -25F with this setup.

hth

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast