Bridge hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben cat cut
    Insulation
    Down TQ,IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    It looks like you cut the demensions of the UQ exactly the same as your Bridge, is that the case?
    Basically yes, but not quite. To the hammock body I pinned a piece of non-woven type fabric to make a pattern, and then traced with a pen. Cut it out traced onto one of the IX layers, and then stacked with the shell & other IX later. Then sewed along the traced line. The natural shifting of the layers as I sewed meant that there was a little bit of difference in the finished size of the fabric between the seams for each layer, does that make sense? So the layers are not perfect, and that difference allows the outer layers to sag just a bit, and thus introduces a bit of natural gap. With the give in the shock cord attachment cords, there is enough give to keep the UQ from being stretched tight & squeezing the layers together.

This method might not yield the same results if you are a better sewer than me, though (which is most people on this site). If you wanted to be meticulous and consistent, and have well defined spacing between layers, you could plan out a differential cut & pleating like the gathered-end crowd does on their IX UQ's. I plan to make an insert pad out of my leftover IX, and may end up doing some pleats in it. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has used this method on a bridge UQ, and how they did it.

Hammock
    Bridge hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben cat cut
    Insulation
    Down TQ,IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenaya View Post
    I plan to make an insert pad out of my leftover IX, and may end up doing some pleats in it.
    OK, since I'm heading out to Yosemite next week, and thinking it might be a bit chilly in the high country this time of year, I finally got around to making that 2-layer insert pad to boost the temp range of my UQ. I got to thinking about the spacing of they layers, and how to ensure a gap is maintained. At first I was thinking pleats, but I was a little short on IX, having just enough for a simple pad. Then I thought about putting something between the IX layers as a spacer. Hmmm, what's light weight, soft, compressible for packing, but would hold the layers apart, maybe even add a little warmth..hmmmm...I got it! Down!.

So, I picked up a cheap down pillow. About a third of the down went into the mostly sewn pad (sewn like above but just two layers), about a third stayed in the pillow, & the rest is blowing around my yard . Seriously though, managed to get most of the excess into the garbage can with a hand vac & some spray starch to keep it put, but for a few tense moments mid-transfer I pictured myself looking up from madly stuffing to see the neighbors gathering around with torches, pitchforks & ball bats, little puffs of down fuzz clinging to clothes & hair. Definitely will think about the eductor method for any future down projects!

Quick fix, but I think it will be nice & toasty, & will give the best of both insulation types. There's not really enough down in it to do all the insulation, so the IX will still be the star of this show. Will let you know how it works!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    How did the IX underquilt perform?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12