Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I treated everything I wore with Sawyers. I'm glad I did! They would come out around 4-5pm. We ran into some folks from the Soo, they said that the bugs were the worst they could recall.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    I treated everything I wore with Sawyers. I'm glad I did! They would come out around 4-5pm. We ran into some folks from the Soo, they said that the bugs were the worst they could recall.
    Boy that Permethrin is a life saver when the blood suckers are thick!

Great report, I enjoyed reading that! I started with- and still use sometimes- the same hammock you used, HH Explorer UL. It is really comfortable as you found out! You just need an SPE for that pad, at least until you can get your UQ!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Boy that Permethrin is a life saver when the blood suckers are thick!

Great report, I enjoyed reading that! I started with- and still use sometimes- the same hammock you used, HH Explorer UL. It is really comfortable as you found out! You just need an SPE for that pad, at least until you can get your UQ!
    Yeah I need to figure something out. Once I got onto the pad it didn't move, I'd wake up in pretty much the same position. It was just the whole climb into hammock, fight my way into the bag, and the try to get the pad under me process that sucks. It really was the only downside to the experience, and since it was only once a day, I'd say it's pretty minor. I'm going to see how much I'll be out on the trail, and determine if I really need to spend more $ on the UQ.

One thing I'm considering is a second tarp. The stock one is fine, did a great job. I'm thinking a second tarp will add a lot of versatility. Obviously it will offer a larger area of shelter in wet weather, but I'm thinking a big plus would be to hang it above the stock tarp, about a foot higher, with both tarps tied out wide. This would be for hot weather, it would increase shade, and would heat the air between the layers, rather than the hammock(and me) I've seen this type of roof in survival shelters for desert and beach use.

I didn't find any issues with the stock HH suspension, maybe some longer straps would be nice. Perhaps I just got lucky with the correct tension. The figure 8 lashing seems pretty simple, maybe after I get a few more trips I'll reconsider and look at an upgrade.

I'm definitely hooked, I got the best sleep I've had in years in the Explorer. That is no exaggeration, I have back problems, and never sleep all the way through the night, even with meds. I am going to be hanging the hammock in my house, for days when I'm hurting.

I'm glad I found this forum, I've already got a ton of help and info, just from reading, I'm looking forward to learning more, and maybe one day having some helpful advice for others.

HV

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Terrific Briefing..... 7 nights....wow.
    Awesome pike.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Yeah I need to figure something out. Once I got onto the pad it didn't move, I'd wake up in pretty much the same position. It was just the whole climb into hammock, fight my way into the bag, and the try to get the pad under me process that sucks. It really was the only downside to the experience, and since it was only once a day, I'd say it's pretty minor. I'm going to see how much I'll be out on the trail, and determine if I really need to spend more $ on the UQ.
    You are lucky you stayed on the pad, lots of folks have trouble with that, but good for you! That is one thing an SPE helps so much with. Do you have a zip model, or bottom entry? Most folks use the bags as a quilt, which makes things infinitely easier in a hammock. But some times some folks are not able to keep quite as warm- if temps are near the bag's limit- quilt style vs a zipped up mummy bag. I had a lot of trouble with that at the start, but do much better now. Drafts mainly at the neck/shoulders is what I had trouble with, and trouble with the hood being in my way. But now I have learned that, if side sleeping, I can pull the hood over my head and arrange a little breathing hole to the side, and I am pretty close to all the warmth I have using the bag in normal fashion, mummy style.

Another discovery is: leave the neck collar closed by whatever fashion (Velcro/snaps or part of the two way zipper) as you would using the bag mummy style. Open the bag down to a foot box, get into the bag through this opening as though quilt style but stick your head through the neck opening into the hood area. This works really great for me, allowing use of the hood in most positions, and giving full closure around the neck. No draft problems with this approach, and about as easy to use as a quilt.

Lastly, if you must use just as you would a bag on the ground, there are many tricks to getting in the bag. But, if you can provide something for a dry spot on the ground, I think the easiest is to just step into the bag out side the hammock, with one or both feet, pull the hood over your head, sit down on the pad/lay down, finish zipping up. This is really easy to do.

I didn't find any issues with the stock HH suspension, maybe some longer straps would be nice. Perhaps I just got lucky with the correct tension. The figure 8 lashing seems pretty simple, maybe after I get a few more trips I'll reconsider and look at an upgrade.
    I think it is just fine, the only hassle is if you have to make any adjustments, having to undo the entire figure 8 and start over. But if I only take the huggers once around the tree, I can adjust height without undoing anything. I just pull tight on the suspension towards the tre and move the hugger up or down. Mostly this approach does not slip on the tree for me. And I use it all the time with the stock JRB BMBH suspension.

Hammock
    $26 Parachute Nylon made by VIVERE
    Tarp
    12'x14' chinook
    Insulation
    Military Sleep Sys
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    our mosquitoes are really bad this year. In fact, they're the worst I remember ever seeing them. No need to let that deter anyone though, our nature is pretty intense

Glad you enjoyed your stay.

@Dragon360 hope you enjoy Algonquin. It's funny, I live maybe a 45 min hour drive from Algonquin and I've never been, lol. I hear it's pretty awesome though. Please post some pics.
    My Hammock camping adventures, and more can be seen here:
    ***WARNING! Many of my videos contain language some may find inappropriate!***
    http://www.youtube.com/FAQUAD2010

Thanks for all your help, advice and more!

Thanks for all the kind words and tips! I'll definitely be trying them out as time/temperatures allow.

The views and nature far overshadowed the legions of Mosquitos. Seeing Bald Eagles, Osprey, Common Loons(and hearing them), plus being entertained by the large crows/ravens(you'd swear there was a group of drunk women whooping it up in the trees, by the funny calls they were doing) was all well worth it. The fishing almost became secondary, just something to do while taking everything in.
    Absolutely beautiful country up there, I'd recommend visiting to anyone, and look forward to heading back. It is amazing how much things change with just a 10-11 hour drive.

HV

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12