All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    got ya. I wouldnt think the UL backpacker would be longer than the expedition because they both use the same supershelter and both say they are only comfy to 6ft but again I didnt go look at the fabric specs.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
    Ok to be clear I was talking about the Ultralite Backpacker Asym, compared to the Expedition Asym, just so I'm clear on the models. names can confuse.
    the ultra is 48" wide, exp 52" both 100" long
    The fabric is thinner on ultra and they lowered weight limit from 250# to 200# for the ultra.
    you save 9 oz, but you better be lighter and shorter then me.

at 6'3" i use the HH ultra explorer (in extreme cold i use a DIY.)
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    got ya. I wouldnt think the UL backpacker would be longer than the expedition because they both use the same supershelter and both say they are only comfy to 6ft but again I didnt go look at the fabric specs.
    The ULBP is 70D nylon Taffeta, is same length as the 210D Oxford nylon Expedition, but 4" less wide.( ULBP 100x48", Exped 100x52") So ULBP not quite as wide and 70D vs 210D = lower hammock weight and less weight capacity.

Also, the tarp on the ULBP is about 1 oz lighter (sil-nylon vs PU coated polyester) and is about 2" longer than the Exped tarp, for some reason. And the Exped ropes are 1600 lb with 1.5" straps vs ULBP 1200 lb rope with 1" straps.

So these hammocks are very close dimension wise, but with different fabrics, huggers, tarps and ropes.

About the same comparing the Explorer to the Explorer UL. Exact same dimensions, both a foot longer than the above. ( caution: the specs show only 8" longer, but this is ridge line length. The Explorers have more sag than the above. Same with the Safari: it only shows an additional 4" length than the Explorers- but again, that is the RL spec. But it is in actuality MUCH longer, which can be seen by MUCH more sag) Explorer UL has slightly less rope rating(100 lbs) than Explo deluxe , and 1.5" straps vs 2" for a net 300 lb rating vs 250. And a 2.2 oz lighter tarp for the Expl UL.

Kayak Karl, I just saw you already covered most of that!

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I also wondered about the rope strength because in mcsparron's videos on youtube ( trekkingnut as seen on the forums ) he uses the garda hitch method and he said that it worked great on his explorer deluxe and it worked great on my expedition but I believe somewhere someone said that the lighter rope was slimmer than the other rope and didnt hold so great between the descending rings. could be wrong though.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    The lighter rope on the BPUL does not hold the garda hitch with rings. If you use biners, it will hold. But it really smashes the rope. I would be leery of using the garda very much with that narrow rope. I just switched out to whoopies.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcavenagh View Post
    The lighter rope on the BPUL does not hold the garda hitch with rings. If you use biners, it will hold. But it really smashes the rope. I would be leery of using the garda very much with that narrow rope. I just switched out to whoopies.
    Thanks, I must see where the woopies are sold

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12