Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First hang with warbonnet blackbird

After fixing my issues with the cinch buckles I had my first hang with my new hammock in the backyard today. Here is a pic of my wife trying it out. She thought it was so comfortable she wants me to buy a second one for her!

I'll be taking it out next weekend on the trail. This is my first time with a hammock, everything look cool with this hang? I'll say from my testing it seemed pretty fine.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looks pretty good. You might want to try a little steeper hang on the foot end - optimal seems to be about a 30 degree angle. Congratulations!

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    that's good to hear. do you have an UQ for it or are you just going to use a pad for now? i thought that was a black bear with a frisbee for a second.

Thanks, Yeah I wasn't sure I had the best angles but it was already so comfy I could easily have dozed off if my wife didn't want to try it too . I'll experiment a little more tomorrow.

Unfortunately a UQ isn't in the budget right now so I'll be using a ccf. I still don't have one, I checked out the wallyword but they are 5'10" and I'm 6'3" so I'm still looking for something to get enough length and width (I'd like at least 24"). And the black bear was also quite interested in getting in the hammock

For a tarp, I'm also still looking around. I am so impressed with the quality of the blackbird that I have pretty much decided on a mamajamba from Warbonnet, which will pretty much tap out my budget for backpacking gear this summer.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow & Poenix
    Suspension
    Web Strap
    Nice set up there! Glad you got your buckle issues solved. Dont forget the trip report when you take her out!!!

JimT

Hammock
    wbbb dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    i thought that was a black bear with a frisbee for a second.
    LOL same here!

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zekemon View Post
    Thanks, Yeah I wasn't sure I had the best angles but it was already so comfy I could easily have dozed off if my wife didn't want to try it too . I'll experiment a little more tomorrow.

Unfortunately a UQ isn't in the budget right now so I'll be using a ccf. I still don't have one, I checked out the wallyword but they are 5'10" and I'm 6'3" so I'm still looking for something to get enough length and width (I'd like at least 24"). And the black bear was also quite interested in getting in the hammock

For a tarp, I'm also still looking around. I am so impressed with the quality of the blackbird that I have pretty much decided on a mamajamba from Warbonnet, which will pretty much tap out my budget for backpacking gear this summer.
    Kmart sometimes carries a coleman pad that is a little wider @ 24", it's green. As far as length goes, you will likely use some extra clothes or something for a pillow, and therefore the 5'10" should be sufficient. I don't think the coleman one is any longer. Cool setup, enjoy the bird!
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    they are 5'10" and I'm 6'3
    I have used the Wallyword waffle pattern blue pad that is 24" wide, lengtn ?? but I know it is shorter than my 6ft2. The few inches of non coverage is not an issue as my feet are in the footbox and I just throw a tshirt or something there if I need the insulation. Last night I was in my BB with a 3/4 UQ and stayed very warm and I did not have anything under my feet in the footbox. Of course the temps only got down to low 60's.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    [QUOTE=zekemon;506851]

Unfortunately a UQ isn't in the budget right now so I'll be using a ccf. I still don't have one, I checked out the wallyword but they are 5'10" and I'm 6'3" so I'm still looking for something to get enough length and width (I'd like at least 24"). QUOTE]

The wallyworld one should be sufficent. Many forum members here use a 2/3 or 3/4 length UQ. For example, my Yeti is only 48" long. The full length CCF is a great start. I used one at first too. I got a sweaty back, so maybe a blanket or similar between it & you.

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    yep agreed with others. in summer, before i had an underquilt, i simply took a section of ccf pad that went from my shoulders to right below my butt. congrats...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast