WB Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Std
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Line/Strap

Quick Summer Phoenix/Burrow report

Hello all, I finally got a chance to use my Summer Phoenix and Summer Burrow last night and I could not be happier. I ordered them in a custom color combination with green on top and grey on the bottom and they look super sexy. If you haven't had the chance to see Hammock Gear's work up close yet, let me tell you they are a work of art. All that's is great but how they perform is even better.

Last night was crystal clear, no cloud in the sky with a slight breeze out of the east. The temps got down into the low 60's, a perfect summer night. I started out with just the top quilt because I didn't think I would need the bottom. After a short while I started to get a touch of the cold butt so I strung up the under quilt for the first time in the dark. Easy as could be and I soon settled in for the best night's sleep I ever had in the woods. I only woke twice all night, once to see a man about a horse and the other due to a pack of coyotes making their close presence know around 3am. When I finally woke up in the morning, I was slightly sweaty with half of my top quilt pushed down to my feet. These things crank out the heat even though they are so small and light. I am a totally happy camper.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Congrats and great gear choices! I love my HG quilts.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I can report with some accuracy about my summerweight Burrow. This week I was on a trip "up North" sleeping in trousers, a lightweight top and a Patagonia "puffball" vest. At 50 degrees, I was comfortable. At 40 degrees I was chilled and had to pull on another layer of R1 fleece top...but was still right "on the edge".

I've pushed the summer weight Burrow to around 30 degrees wearing insulated pants and a down jacket, but that was "on the edge" as well.

My experience is that this superbly made TQ is comfortable with light clothing down to 50 degrees but I need supplemental clothing to go much below that. Thanks again to Adam and Jenny for making such great down gear!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    I can report with some accuracy about my summerweight Burrow. This week I was on a trip "up North" sleeping in trousers, a lightweight top and a Patagonia "puffball" vest. At 50 degrees, I was comfortable. At 40 degrees I was chilled and had to pull on another layer of R1 fleece top...but was still right "on the edge".

I've pushed the summer weight Burrow to around 30 degrees wearing insulated pants and a down jacket, but that was "on the edge" as well.

My experience is that this superbly made TQ is comfortable with light clothing down to 50 degrees but I need supplemental clothing to go much below that. Thanks again to Adam and Jenny for making such great down gear!
    Beep, you must be a "cold" sleeper, some people just are. I had my summer incubator/summer Burrow down to 16* on the AT in early April. I had my down vest and my 1.0 UnderArmor baselayer on inside the Burrow, but I slept like a log. And I didn't even cinch the neck down on the Burrow. I usually overheat if I do. But I am a "special" case.

This is why all insulation ratings are subjective on any gear. What to some is overkill is to others insufficient. But that is OK, as long as you know what you require to stay warm at night, and know how to supplement with clothing if needed. I think a lot of it has to do with metabolism - how many calories burned during the night and blood circulation. I know from personal experience I am a lot warmer during the night after 20 miles and a good dinner than after 5 and a lot of time around a campfire. I also think that it is always a good idea to go with more UQ than you think you need and less TQ, because the warmer you are underneath the less you need on top.

They do make good gear, and Adam is a stickler for the little details. I've seen the process first-hand, and it is an ever-evolving process with constant "tweaks" in design. Adam always is trying to improve EVERYTHING he does, and thinks about it all the time. Believe me, his gear is ALWAYS on his brain. OC, that boy is. And that is a good thing!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Std
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Line/Strap
    I was only wearing a t-shirt and a pair of shorts. The way I see it, my gear will be able to get into mid fall camping if I wear the right clothes. That's all I am interested in anyway it looks like I picked the right set up.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hmm...you may have nailed it! And yes, you ARE a special case...in the best way!!

Quote Originally Posted by fin View Post
    Beep, you must be a "cold" sleeper, some people just are. I had my summer incubator/summer Burrow down to 16* on the AT in early April. I had my down vest and my 1.0 UnderArmor baselayer on inside the Burrow, but I slept like a log. And I didn't even cinch the neck down on the Burrow. I usually overheat if I do. But I am a "special" case.

This is why all insulation ratings are subjective on any gear. What to some is overkill is to others insufficient. But that is OK, as long as you know what you require to stay warm at night, and know how to supplement with clothing if needed. I think a lot of it has to do with metabolism - how many calories burned during the night and blood circulation. I know from personal experience I am a lot warmer during the night after 20 miles and a good dinner than after 5 and a lot of time around a campfire. I also think that it is always a good idea to go with more UQ than you think you need and less TQ, because the warmer you are underneath the less you need on top.

They do make good gear, and Adam is a stickler for the little details. I've seen the process first-hand, and it is an ever-evolving process with constant "tweaks" in design. Adam always is trying to improve EVERYTHING he does, and thinks about it all the time. Believe me, his gear is ALWAYS on his brain. OC, that boy is. And that is a good thing!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow & Poenix
    Suspension
    Web Strap
    Grouch, Congrats and thanks for the report! Did you get any overfill in it?

Enjoy
    Jim

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Std
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Line/Strap
    No overfill. Just stock for the most part, I had them put the tie in footbox instead of the snaps.

• + New Posts