Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Check with Neo...I believe he uses an after market tarp with the TCJH which he talks up quite a bit.

Miguel
    Yeah that's the Gear Guide tarp from Sportsman Gudie. Also knwn as Neo's tarp.

I have the 9x9 version.

Thanks for clearing up the diagonal measurement, JJ. After posting my comment about the tarp being to small I started thinking that 9x9 must be the vertical and horizonal measurements. I have a couple of posts in the back yard that I hang my hammock on. The posts are 12' apart and my GG tarp is longer that that distance.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I keep looking at one of the jungle models. I look at the weight and think, "That's a little to heavy." (3 lbs with hammock and stock fly) and then I see the way that it sets up on the ground and I have second thoughts about the weight.

It's always nice to find a piece of gear that can fulfill more than one purpose and we all know the Achilles heal of hammock camping is being somewhere where you can't hang your hammock. Then you must go to the ground and I think that the TC hammock does that better than any other hammock out there. I know that you can use a HH as a tent, and although I have never tried using my HH as a tent, it would seem that the innovative womb-like entry of a HH would become very awkward when trying to use it on the ground.

The TC hammock also has the double layer thing going on and eliminating the struggle with keeping a pad situated inside the hammock also makes me a little less worried about the weight.

I wonder if you can buy the hammock without the fly?

Neo,

Have you ever weighed the stock TC fly against the Gear Guide tarp you use with yours? I am thinking that one way to reduce the overall weight is to change to a lighter fly, perhaps silnylon.
    tom cut me a deal i got 2 jungle hammocks without the fly for 140.00 bucks,thats 70.00 bucks each neo

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Happynewhanger View Post
    I have a new TC expedition that I love. Neo is right in that it is a little short; I am 6'1" and it is sometimes awkward to get flat. I lie about 6-8" off center, so I often end up in laying on the netting a bit. I am experimenting with a "ghost" tie out ( I never knew what to call them before this formum!) -- I use pennies or dimes as they are smoother than rocks -- at the knee to pull it out a little, which does help some. It also stops the hammock from swinging, which is good for my head.

I picked the TC for a number of reasons: it is cheaper than most pre-made hammocks; it has a pad pocket so you don't even notice a pad; it is light and packs small; it is easy to tie up, and the knot should work as a drip string (haven't had it in the rain yet); it is easy to set up on the ground, although so far it has proven to be less than solid on the ground and you need more stakes than you usually carry or perfect tie out spots, I have to experiment more; and it has lots of netting that is easy to set up in different ways and you can hang off your tarp. I think it is more versatile than the HH, but not as comfortable, although I have never been in an HH. I think Just Jeff noted somewhere that it has a tight center line, which make it harder to lie asym. The jungle model looks like it is more comfortable, as it has the extra length. I just didn't want the extra weight in hammock and tarp (longer hammock=long tarp).

The TC is not that easy to set up on the ground in treeless areas. You can do it, but it ends up being a little wobbly. You need to have more stakes and/or find perfect tie-out rocks or bushes. You would be fine in a drizzle, but not in a real storm. I need to practice more, I guess. Not that I plan to be one the ground a lot, but you never you know.

The TC seems to me to be a good compromise between comfort, price, weight, and veratility. I am one happy hanger!
    our hats off to tom claytor neo

jungle hammock without rainfly

I just ordered my second jungle hammock from Tom but I ordered it without the rainfly. I paid $100.00 .

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    tom cut me a deal i got 2 jungle hammocks without the fly for 140.00 bucks,thats 70.00 bucks each neo
    You need to sell me one!

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    You need to sell me one!