Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    You can buy the smaller models without the fly but not the Jungle model. I asked Claytor myself.

Miguel
    Hhhmmmmm....

I also emailed TC and I got a reply this morning where he said he would sell the hammock only for $100. Maybe he decided to start selling them without fly.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    headchange, the Crazy Creek sets up pretty nicely on the ground, and also has a pad pocket. I don't really like the pad pocket unless I'm using the DAM, but it's there.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesLittleSur2.html

But then, it's $200 and 54 oz. It's a BGT test...
    Just Jeff,
    Have you ever tried a TC hammock? I know that you are famililar with HH, Speer-type and now Crazy Creek (when did you get that?). You seem to have one of the bigger selections of hammocks to choose from in this forum.

I keep regretting that I had to miss the SEHHA in Hot Springs this year. I really wanted to go so that I could see different types of hammocks and setups. Maybe we should think about another hammock gathering.

I did finish my first DIY Speer hammock the other day (pics will be coming soon). I have to re-whip the hammock because I need more slack in the side, but overall it came out really nice. I am also going to use the "Through the whip suspension straps" like what was shown in this thread.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Hhhmmmmm....

I also emailed TC and I got a reply this morning where he said he would sell the hammock only for $100. Maybe he decided to start selling them without fly.
    That's interesting. My communication with him was just a few weeks ago. Something to think about....his tarp is 13' long and the Jungle hammock is about 9'6". I wouldn't think you'd want anything shorter. I'm very happy with the entire setup.

Miguel

I have a new TC expedition that I love. Neo is right in that it is a little short; I am 6'1" and it is sometimes awkward to get flat. I lie about 6-8" off center, so I often end up in laying on the netting a bit. I am experimenting with a "ghost" tie out ( I never knew what to call them before this formum!) -- I use pennies or dimes as they are smoother than rocks -- at the knee to pull it out a little, which does help some. It also stops the hammock from swinging, which is good for my head.

I picked the TC for a number of reasons: it is cheaper than most pre-made hammocks; it has a pad pocket so you don't even notice a pad; it is light and packs small; it is easy to tie up, and the knot should work as a drip string (haven't had it in the rain yet); it is easy to set up on the ground, although so far it has proven to be less than solid on the ground and you need more stakes than you usually carry or perfect tie out spots, I have to experiment more; and it has lots of netting that is easy to set up in different ways and you can hang off your tarp. I think it is more versatile than the HH, but not as comfortable, although I have never been in an HH. I think Just Jeff noted somewhere that it has a tight center line, which make it harder to lie asym. The jungle model looks like it is more comfortable, as it has the extra length. I just didn't want the extra weight in hammock and tarp (longer hammock=long tarp).

The TC is not that easy to set up on the ground in treeless areas. You can do it, but it ends up being a little wobbly. You need to have more stakes and/or find perfect tie-out rocks or bushes. You would be fine in a drizzle, but not in a real storm. I need to practice more, I guess. Not that I plan to be one the ground a lot, but you never you know.

The TC seems to me to be a good compromise between comfort, price, weight, and veratility. I am one happy hanger!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've never seen a TC hammock. I got the Crazy Creek a few months ago for the BGT test.

I have a HH BULA, the Crazy Creek, and several homemade Speer-types. And the $20 Byer from C&C Outdoors in the mail.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

what!! No Sportsman Guide Hammock..oh the horror

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    That's interesting. My communication with him was just a few weeks ago. Something to think about....his tarp is 13' long and the Jungle hammock is about 9'6". I wouldn't think you'd want anything shorter. I'm very happy with the entire setup.

Miguel
    I emailed him last night and I had a reply this morning.

The hammock is 9'6" .

That's to big for my Gear Guide tarp. I guesss I should have boutght the 12x12. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I've never seen a TC hammock. I got the Crazy Creek a few months ago for the BGT test.
    Sorry Jeff, it must have been some other experienced hanger I was thinking of. Someone who would know more that me commented on the tight center line in the TC Expedition, and it became obvious to me after they pointed it out!

A little looser hang helps with that, but you risk hanging too loose and not getting flat. Still much better than the ground.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    The hammock is 9'6" .

That's to big for my Gear Guide tarp. I guesss I should have boutght the 12x12. Oh well...
    The diagonal on the 9x9 is almost 13'. That's probably enough for that hammock, but I haven't used that system so I couldn't say for sure.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Check with Neo...I believe he uses an after market tarp with the TCJH which he talks up quite a bit.

Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast