Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Blackbird, Camo Fly and 3-season UQ.

Hi, my name is Phillip from Australia, been doing a lot of reading of late, since I found out about Hammock Camping, very keen on hammocks for my future hikes, been reading here with interest. Saving up for a hammock, fly UQ for the past month, want to purchase all at the same time saving on freight. In the mean time I'm doing as much research as possible. I wish I had the opportunity to lay on one to make sure they will suite me, but where I live, this is not possible, so I have to take a risk and hope they suite me. After reading as many reviews as I can find, most appear to be very happy.

I was originally looking at purchasing a Hennesy hammock, but was not to keen on the bottom entry, when I noticed a newer version with a zip option. I mentioned to hitchhiker recently, not sure if it was on a private message or on a post somewhere on a forum I wanted to join this hanging brigade, Hitchhiker, suggested to me to consider a Warbonnet Blackbird. Never heard of a Warbonnet Blackbird till than, so I jumped online and looked into these hammocks and everything I read about them appear to be very positive. I like the features, particularly the footbox and the storage shelf and off course very important where I live, a fly screen.

I've recently had the pleasure to meet hitchhiker in person while out holidaying in Sydney. We was going to go hiking for a few days in the blue mountains, but something came up and had to cancel the trip. I still went myself and had the best time, but I decided to stay at a hostel at Katoomba and do day hikes from there. At the time I was not aware of the popularity of hammock camping, hitchhiker mentioned something about hammock when I first met him, I thought to myself, that's a bit strange camping in a hammock with winter looming just around the corner, particularly at the blue mountains. My initial thoughts was these southerners must not feel the cold. I was wondering how do you keep warm in a hammock, exposed to all those elements. I initially thought he must be crazy. But now I realise his probably a lot warmer than I am in my tent.

I can't wait till I receive the hammock, I've decided after reading numerous reports online to purchase a Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Dbl. A camo Superfly and a Warbonnet 3 season under quilt.

I'm planning on a 2 Day Hike near Fraser Island, to scout a potential hike for the local Bushwalking Club, it will be my first trip I'll be leading for the club. I am going to wait till all the Warbonnet gear turns up in the post so I can use them.

What's the time frame for postage to Australia once the items leaves the states? I'm ready to order, but I wonder if there's a faster postage option to Australia.

Kind of nervous spending the money, without trying out one of the Warbonnet Blackbirds. I hope it will work for me. I think I'll need at least 6 to 12 hours to build up the courage to click on Pay.

Looking forward to my first hang, somewhere out there in this wonderful land of ours.

And a special thanks go out to Hitchhiker and Shugs with his video's, I must have watched them all 3 times now.

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock/OMW
    Insulation
    Leighlo , HH SS
    Suspension
    WB adj web
    I sent a fly rod to a fellow in austrailia last month it took 10 days priority mail.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've purchased most of my hiking gear from the states in the past 6 months, 4 to 7 days using priority mail.

Does anyone know if Brandon uses Priority mail?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL & Sydney Arbor Bridge
    Tarp
    WB Edge & DD 3x3
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, WB Yeti
    Suspension
    AHE whoopies
    My first package from WB took over four weeks to get to Sydney. But it turned out it was my own fault - I had made a small error in the addressing. The next package I corrected the error and delivery was less than two weeks.

Will you like sleeping in the Blackbird? Like you say you'll have to wait and see. I find mine much,much better than ground sleeping, but still falling short of optimal. I think that's because I prefer to sleep on my side or semi-prone, and supine sleepers seem to get the most comfort. However, a lot of people report they readily adjust to a different sleeping position in a hammock versus in a bed. Aside from that, changing from pads to the 3-season Yeti UQ has definitely improved things for me, as has making a custom pillow (stuffed with my down jacket) that connects to the ridgeline. When the seasons turn I'll be leaving the down jacket at home , so I'll be looking for an alternative.

Good luck with it all, and hopefully we'll cross paths sometime...

Oh, and P.S. Casuarinas are the best hanging trees .
    善行無轍迹
    The skilful traveller leaves no traces of his wheels or footsteps
    -Lao Tzu

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Here's a short video on some of the walks I completed at the Blue Mountains near Sydney. Next time I'm back there, i'll take my future hammock with me.

So far I have not pressed that pay now button. Waiting on word back from Brandon at Warbonnet on the details of postage he uses to Australia and if he has a quicker option.

Meanwhile, here's a video I've just put together of the Blue Mountains.

Sorry, I don't know how to embed videos here.

Here's the link to video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V33WOAJ8hRI
    Last edited by Phillipsart; 07-14-2011 at 04:19.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I just placed order for woopie slings, tarp ridge line with the soft shackle prusik and the tarp lines with the silicon stretchers from woopieslings.com

Considering I have purchased the woopie slings, should I order the blackbird with the adjustable straps or non adjustable straps? Not certain but I think I remember reading somewhere if you use woopie slings, best to order the non adjustable straps.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've just ordered a Blackbird 1.1 Dbl, Camo Superfly and a 3-season UQ.

Very excited, can't wait to try out the hammock.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I am very sure that you will be pleased....give the hammock a few tries before any final decisions.
    Get to those woods...exhaust yourself and nod.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Congrats on your purchase, and I hope it gets to you on the bottom of the planet in a hurry. From experience I can tell you that the wait between 'Pay Now' at Warbonnet and receipt of package is excruciating, no matter how long it takes.

Aside...am I the only one here having nightmares from Shug's latest avatar?
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly,HG CUBEN
    Insulation
    Yeti and Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ahh yes, many restless nights I can see, till that package arrives. I'm certain it will be worth the wait. Was up till 3am. Only had a few hours sleep, and that was the first night. As soon I lay in the Blackbird, I'll probably intently full asleep.
    What can I do now, to kill some waiting time. I know, go watch shugs video on hammock camping again. And read, read and more reading. Ordered one of those Speer Hammock Camping book, shug mentioned in one of his videos. It should be here any day now.

What does it mean, when you start thinking, every tree I walk pass a tree the first thing I think off, can I hang a hammock of that tree? Is this normal?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast