Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Summer hanging in the hot/humid state of Alabama

Howdy all,

This will be my first summer season to hang coming up at the end of the month. I'll be hopefully hanging either at the walls of jericho or somewhere in cheaha/talledega park in NE Alabama. The current temperatures around the state have been in the 90's with humidity/heat indexes putting it around 100 or just above. Lows at night dip down to a cool 80 or so but still, it's so hot, muggy and humid regardless of temperature. So, my question is, do you need the UQ and TQ for a summer hang with these types of conditions? I've ordered 1/4" wide GG thinlight insulation (was getting it anyway for my legs/feat during the fall/winter hangs to pair it with my UQ). I was thinking of just using the GG thinlight for underbody insulation and maybe just drape my sleeping bag liner over me to use as a sheet. Would this be too little of cover/insulation? I know it will partly depend on me and whether or not i'm a cold/hot natured person. I'd say I'm about average.

All of my current gear is really more 3 season gear (see my profile info to the left for the specifics of my gear).

Anyway, I appreciate any advice you can give in this regard.

Thanks!
    -def

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Straps w/Cinch bkl
    Images
    I live in Montgomery, so I feel your pain. I hung in the backyard a few weeks back...to appease my son. Man was it hot, but he wanted to try out his hammock. No UQ on my Blackbird 1.7 dbl and I used a cotton bed sheet as a TQ, I was fine. Hung out on July 4th weekend and used my silk sleeping bag liner as TQ, no UQ again. Both nights supposedly got down around mid 70's.
    "I will study and get ready, and perhaps my chance will come." - Abraham Lincoln

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    piggybacking on aboyd's talk. i'd suggest you try things out in your yard first.

before i got an UQ i simply did what you did all year round. pad underneath, sleeping bag/top quilt over top.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Just did a weekender at Ichetucknee Springs down here in Florida. Highs were 89 degrees and 91 degrees, respectively, for Sunday and Monday. The lows were 75 degrees both mornings that I was there. The humidity hovered near to 100% both days (it rained over the first afternoon and night, right up until dawn-ish).

I sleep fairly hot (I'm originally from Connecticut, and they thought my love for cold was odd there), so take this as you will. I use a military surplus poncho liner as a topquilt, and I don't use any bottom insulation (except for when I tuck the liner under me, which isn't very often). I was not cold either night; in fact, I didn't use the liner at all the first night, it was so muggy and warm. I got a little cool towards the middle of the night the second day, and tucked the liner in around myself, laid back, and went right back to sleep.

I'd say bring the thinlight insulation if you want it, but you'll probably be good with just the bag liner. Still, it can't hurt to give it a test-drive in the back yard before going out into the wild.

Hammock
    1.9 oz DIY Speer Type
    Tarp
    DIY sil 10X12 camo
    Insulation
    Dwn SB/dwn DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I just got through with summer camp with my scouts and slept in my hammock every night. South MS with lows in the mid to low 70s. I use no bottom insulation and a sheet on top, with my fan hanging on my ridgeline (and bug net of course! ). Even at those temps I usually wake up and cut the fan off during the night. I always bring my fleece top quilt just in case it is a little cooler I can throw it on. An army poncho as listed above would likely be a great solution as well!

• + New Posts