Thread: Tarp Width?

Tarp Width?

What are people using for tarp widths? The last tarp I made, I just used two times the width of the fabric (prob 58") less the amount used in the seams so that is around 110". But I see that some tarps are narrower. For example, the Tadpole is listed at 92" wide - I have one and I haven't had an issue but it is a bit narrower. Cuben tarps are usually narrower because Cuben fabric comes in a narrower width - 54". Should I consider trimming the sides of the fabric before making a tarp?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    If weight and volume are not important, wider is better since you get more coverage. As soon as weight and volume become an issue, you'll have to compromise. I have differently sized tarps that I use depending on the time of year and the weather I can reasonably expect. I wish I could use my Warbonnet Edge all the time, because it packs down tiny and weighs little.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Here's the thing about width, its really about personal mental comfort rather than actual performance need. I've used the Hennessy stock diamond, and as you will hear folks say - just like you did with the Tadpole, I haven't had an issue with its size. I went from that to my large Toxaway and absolutely loved how mentally comfortable I felt about my coverage. I recently purchased another diamond tarp for supposed use with lightweight summer trips, but I find I'm apt to bring it for all trips where I know the weather is mild. I'm just much more mentally comfortable now with what my actual coverage need is.

If you go narrower for weight purposes, it makes a lot of sense to go with a diamond style because you also lose a pair of stake & guy line set with that style. I've got a smallish Maccat std that I rarely use anymore because its much heavier than the diamond with about the same coverage.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    All my tarps are made as wide as the fabric hems etc. allows. I won’t risk a wet UQ.
    If you want a minimal seize tarp I would suggest making two ridge line points (will only work on a rectangular tarp) so you can get better coverage from one side if you need too or make one side longer than the other. You can always flip the tarp around but you can’t move the trees and you may not have the option to change location (trees).
    Personally I don’t want to get up and turn my tarp around. In my parts of the world the wind direction can change rapidly and especially when it rains. Land-breeze-and-sea-breeze is also common so the direction can change 180° in a few minutes.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

• + New Posts