Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I love my Light Hiker which I purchased after being wowed by the Switchback. I was hanging in the backyard in the rain this afternoon and it was wonderful. I love hearing the rain on the tarp!
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

I used to have a WBBB. Very nicely made. I never noticed the calf ridge issue so I think it is about finding the right hang. But...I didn't like having the wall of fabric there obstructing my view to the right (the foot box by nature shortens the edge length of the hammock on that side so it rises higher). In either case, I moved on to a bridge, but I still find myself looking at the Switchback from time to time.

Now if Brandon made a fully netted Traveller...well, I guess you'd pretty much have a Switchback.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Hey. How was the Yampa. I'm impressed that you found a spot to hang two hammocks on a desert river. Way to go.
    I went back to my Trek Light hammock after trying a WBBB & a Traveler. I just couldn't get comfy in either hammock like I can in my TL.
    KJ
    I hung 4/4 nights on the Yampa, which is better than my average on the Middle Fork (4/5). Each was a challenge with 2 nights hanging 2 hammocks from 3 trees. Still don't think it would be possible in Grand Canyon. Nothing but tamarisk there.

You should try a Switchback. I would buy it from you if you don't like it.

Hammock
    DH Darien, WBBB XLC, 6 HH
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield (5
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle strap
    Images
    Hows the response time for ordering the SB?
    Was looking at the dbl layer one, it was out of stock, called the phone #, no answer, mail box full,, moved on and ordered a HH Safari.

Slack

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slackdaddy View Post
    Hows the response time for ordering the SB?
    Was looking at the dbl layer one, it was out of stock, called the phone #, no answer, mail box full,, moved on and ordered a HH Safari.

Slack
    Boy, I can sleep uber comfy in more positions in that hammock than any other I've tried! Hope you like yours. Real interested in these SBs however!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Alejandro,

Some other people have covered the calf ridge. I'll try to explain it too.

When you lie in a hammock, your back presses down on the fabric. With a traditional suspended hammock, there is a spreader bar on both ends that spreads out the downward pressure across the hammock. It makes it so that it's almost flat going across the width of the hammock. It also makes some of them very tipsy.

With a gathered end hammock, like the WBBB or Hennessy, the main pressure runs along the bottom center of the fabric from one gathered end to the other. When you lay down in a gathered end hammock, it puts tension on this center fabric. It makes it taut between your back and the gathered end by your feet.

When you lay in a gathered end hammock, you lay diagonal across the fabric that runs down the middle - what people refer to as an "asymetrical lay". However, you'll still have the fabric taut along your calf that is closest to the centerline. It sometimes feels like the fabric is a ridge that digs into the outside of your calf. You alleviate it by changing the set-up of the hammock in various ways, which is why people fiddle with their hammocks or do trial runs.

For example, the other night I went out and slept in my new WBBB and a UQ. I was too hot using only the UQ and I had some calf pressure issues. My down pillow was too hot too. I ended up putting it under my calves and that alleviated all of the calf pressure.

As far as the Switchback, I spoke to Dale about one. He said that he had just gotten about five Light Hikers back from the seamstresses. They had not had a chance to inspect them yet, but he thought a couple might be available.

Rodwolfy,

Thanks for the thorough explanation. I can understand the concept, but am assuming it is a bit different in a nylon hammock compared to a my hand woven hammock. I have three of the latter, one of which is a non-spreader bar.

Thanks again,

a

Hammock
    Pisgah Dreamer DIY
    Tarp
    Mamajamba w/doors
    Insulation
    WL UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm having a similar conundrum. I was wanting a WBBB, but now I'm leaning toward the SB since I sleep on my side and toss and turn a bit. Now I'm not sure which SB to get, 1.1 dbl, 1.9 sgl, or LH.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    I have yet to try a switchback or light hiker but would love too. Just seems pricey for such a plain hammock. But comfort is all that really matters.

I use a WBBB and I guess I'm lucky with not having problems. I've slept every which way including usually on my side with nothing but comfort. I did decide the other night to hang the blackbird at a steeper angle to achieve the loose ridge line as suggested. It worked and was comfortable but for the first time in it I experienced the calf pressure. Nothing too bad, still plenty comfortable to sleep in, but I have never experienced it before hanging the hammock with a taut ridge line like I always have.

Also the wall of fabric doesn't bother me, especially when I have a wall of tarp right next to it anyway.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by rb_daniel View Post
    I'm having a similar conundrum. I was wanting a WBBB, but now I'm leaning toward the SB since I sleep on my side and toss and turn a bit. Now I'm not sure which SB to get, 1.1 dbl, 1.9 sgl, or LH.
    You can sleep on your side really well in a WBBB. I have 3 of them. I have a LH coming, so I'll be able to tell you in a few weeks...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast