Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies

Whoopie sling tightness??

So I'm currently using Ring Buckles for my suspension. I have them attached to the hammock and attach my hammock to the tree with webbing through the rings.

I have made a couple whoopie slings and am thinking about converting my suspension to a whoopie sling suspension.

I have a structural ridgeline (adjustable whoopie) and my question is how do you...or do you have to....cinch down the suspension snug in order for your ridgeline to hang your hammock correctly?

My worry is that with a whoopie sling suspension setup I wouldn't be able to cinch my hammock to the trees as tight as with my rings.

Now I'm thinking I'm wrong here, and that the only thing that the tightness to the trees makes a difference in is how high up your hammock is from the ground.

Thoughts anyone??

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The suspension merely holds the hammock and the only forces that should be placed on it is your weight. It is not meant to tension the hammock towards the tree. The consensus for a comfortable lay is the angle of the suspension from the hammock to the tree should be around 30 degrees. The suspension adjustment is for length to accommodate for distance between trees. To change the angle, the attachment point to the trees can be lowered and raised and the suspension lengthened or shortened. The structural ridgeline should not be too tight. Its primary function is to give you consistent sag. There may be a time when the structural ridgeline will be tight if you can't get the attachment points high enough but generally it should be used for consistency of set up. It should be taut but not so tight that you cannot flex it 90 degrees with your fingers.
    Last edited by Bubba; 07-09-2011 at 09:59.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    The tightness is a preference or requirement or an expectation of the mfg of where the load is carried, and how that load determines the effective SRL. If the cordage of the SRL stretches under load, then unless you hang the hammock in such way that there is little tension,
    [LIST]
    • then the SRL either stretches to grow longer than expected / desired.
    • Or the load on the line or knots exceeds what the mfg expected.

The length is the length; all else are issues of stretch in the line, risk of breakage, and where the load on lines is carried.

Think of an extremely taut and strong horizontal line between two trees. Now hang a loaded hammock from a pair of prusiks from that line. When you vary the distance between the prusiks, you vary the effective ridge-line and where the load is carried by that line. If the hammock has an SRL the prusiks are attached to, different tautnesses of SRL are due to small differences in the SRL length or stretching of the SRL. The SRL running in almost-parallel to the line will vary in how much of the load it takes off that line as its own tautness varies.

None of the above contradicts WB or Hennessy advice. But, their advice is conditional on the SRL materials they use and their knowledge of the material characteristics. Substitute materials and the advice would change. For that matter, change the load, and the advice about SRL tautness might / should change also.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I got ya...

So if my straps are a little looser they have to be higher on the tree so my hammock, when I get in it, doesn't touch the ground.

Now all I have to figure out is the best way for me to hang up my tarp ridgeline.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Well, not quite. The hammock hangs one way while you are looking at it, and differently when you get in and load it. The angles of the hammock and the suspension lines will be different. If you don't have someone else to climb in for you while you watch, you don't see the difference. Absent feedback can make for a delay in the "ah ha, now I get it" experience. Sure happened to me.

But, basically: Raise the strap at the tree? Sure, except that you need to raise both ends to maintain the same level or out of level.

I got much abuse from a few here for saying this, but I'll repeat it because all those folks were wrong: There's much to be said for taking advantage of the opps presented to you to do nothing more difficult than twisting the wrap of the strap around the tree and re-cinching to shorten the suspension. Yes, I know that changes the centering of the hammock. Yada yada yada.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 07-09-2011 at 18:36.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Tightening the straps by wrapping them around the tree more is how I used to roll.

Nothing against that...just not high on the "tech" factor compared to a lot of what is going on on this site.

Just trying to catch up!

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    And I'm 1000% not trying to be offensive

Just learning here.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    If you don't have someone else to climb in for you while you watch, you don't see the difference. Absent feedback can make for a delay in the "ah ha, now I get it" experience.
    Watch a few youtube videos and you'll see was DemostiX is talking about. You'll see the sag change and notice the tension on the ridgeline change, as well. Check out Raul's latest video. Fast forward to the 3:40 mark and notice the ridgeline go taut:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrG3O2-xyNE

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    That is interesting.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Quattro15 View Post
    And I'm 1000% not trying to be offensive

Just learning here.
    And strongly learning and curious here. No offense taken. But, we should be modest. This is nothing compared to what many riggers do every day and what rescue workers have to be prepared to do very quickly but irregularly.

When Warbonnet and JacksRBetter include very simple suspensions with buckles, at the cost of a couple of ounces, it reflects what, across customers and experience, can matter most.

Now, what I look forward to is a <2 oz box of pulleys I hold in one hand from which I pull no more than two ropes with the other hand to enables me, laying back in a casually put-up hammock, to adjust the ridge-line and tilt without me getting up.

• + New Posts