Hammock curve needs additional coverage?

I like both hammocking and tenting. My plan is to get a sleeping bag that serves a function for either. I would like to use a Kelty Light Year as a sort of peapod over my Grand Trunk Ultralight. I'm exactly six feet. The regular sleeping bag fits a six foot person. The long sleeping bag fits a 6'6 person and is only $10 more.

Does the curve of the hammock mean there is more length to cover than my six foot body alone?

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    maybe a little but a grand trunk isnt superlong anyway . id still rather use the kelty as a TQ and just use a 5 dollar walmart pad.
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Quote Originally Posted by NewtonGT View Post
    maybe a little but a grand trunk isnt superlong anyway . id still rather use the kelty as a TQ and just use a 5 dollar walmart pad.
    Since I'm new, the bag's versatility is cool. Having the option to use it a couple different ways is a plus- even if it isn't optimal at either.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    I'd look for a bag with a full zipper and without a hood to use as a peapod. Wear a hat. Get a long one and you can pull it way up for warmth. A hood will just get in the way and the top won't cinch up as nicely. Search on "semi-rectangular sleeping bag."

When all is said and done, a quilt would be better-- nice and light for hiking and great in the hammock. You can add an under quilt as time an budget allow. Quilts are the rage for ultralight hikers.

Hi,

Shug has two vid's were he uses a sleeping bag as a peapod.

http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemer...26/HTe6-kxY5rI

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishBob View Post
    Hi,

Shug has two vid's were he uses a sleeping bag as a peapod.

http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemer...26/HTe6-kxY5rI
    Thanks EnglishBob....was about to post!
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Huna View Post
    I like both hammocking and tenting. My plan is to get a sleeping bag that serves a function for either. I would like to use a Kelty Light Year as a sort of peapod over my Grand Trunk Ultralight. I'm exactly six feet. The regular sleeping bag fits a six foot person. The long sleeping bag fits a 6'6 person and is only $10 more.

Does the curve of the hammock mean there is more length to cover than my six foot body alone?
    Yes! For example, the Speer PeaPod is 9 feet long by 6 feet wide(in the center, narrow like a hammock on the ends), originally designed to work on both the Speer 8 and 8.5(ft) hammocks. How long is your GTU? If it was me, I would get the longer version ( and maybe also wider?). You can make the shorter one work, but a little extra room in length and width would be helpful IMO.

But, like Dale said, maybe more important is the zipper and shape/style of the bag. I've never tried a bag for this, but I wonder if a hood will be of any help even for under insulation? Or will it just hang down to no purpose? But I suppose you could rig some sort of suspension for it?

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    How long is your GTU?
    It's just about nine feet. I don't think an extra wide bag ought to be a big concern because I prefer to not lay diagonally.

Another question: when it says the bag is 80 inches, where is that measuring from?
    Last edited by Huna; 07-08-2011 at 14:13.

Hammock
    The Kayak
    Tarp
    Exped scoutextreme
    Insulation
    HG UQ, Keltydownsb
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE & Tre Strp
    I to have kelty light year 20° down. But have been reluctant to use it as you plan because I toss and turn when I sleep. I am worried about the strength of the stitching at the zipper section.

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

my lightyear nano experience

I too have the nano 7 and use a lightyear as a peapod. My winter bag is the 20 degree in regular size and my summer 40 degree bag is the long bag (only long available on a huge sale at the time). I find the long more comfortable but the regular is fine. I'm 5 ft 10. I slept out at 5 degrees F with my lightyear 20, wearing a down jacket inside and merino top and bottom and a fleece hat and gloves. I was quite toasty all night long. If you don't mind the extra weight of the long bag, the extra bulk and the extra $10, go for the extra length. If you're a gram weenie, go regular. Having the hood is nice if you do go to the ground, and the hood pulls nicely tight against the underside of the hammock keeping your upper shoulders and neck warm. I have never felt that I'm stressing the zipper at all. I weight 155. Maybe if I were more round it would be a problem. Don't know. Enjoy. You are getting a great combo together.

• + New Posts