Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images

My New Old Singer Sewing Machine

After posting about an old Singer 201 I found in Goodwill for $20, I wish to thanks to hippofeet, MacEntyre, Ramblinrev and all the others for the help and advice.

Took the 201 to an older gentleman who's been working on Singers since '76. He has all the parts and even old singers for sale. He looked it over and replaced the missing spool pole, the rubber wheel for loading the bobbin, tested the timing and pronounced it good. In fact, he said it had very few hours on it. After putting a needle, bobbin and thread on it he proceeded to sew on a scrap piece of cloth. Couple of adjustments and it sewed the prettiest stitches. Even my Mom was impressed.

So thanks to hipofeet for the presser foot and manual. I cleaned and oiled it (has lots of places that need oiling) and she's good to go.

This guy knows the old machines - His name is Doyle Baggett of Baggetts Make-A-Way Sewing Center in Warner Robins, GA. (478-923-8205) - He has lots of parts parts and older singers for sale too.

So for $47 he tuned up my 201, put a new spool post on, gave me 2 original bobbins, put a new rubber wheel on the bobbin winder thingy, put a new belt on my Mom's 844 and tuned it up. I bought 2 extra packs of needles and he gave me a spool of thread for free. Excellent service (spent 1 1/2 hours with me and my Mom).

Played around with it last night to see what the fuss is all about. Heading to Hancock Fabrics later today!

I'm very happy with this machine - just right to learn on. If you see one in a yard sale or at goodwill -- pick it up! If I find another, It's coming home with me!

Heres some pictures of the "new" old singer 201.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    He must be good to get you to go from IN to GA for service.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Kewl!

My Singer (my Mom's) is a slightly older model, with a thumbwheel stitch length setting device. My drive wheel for the bobbin winder neds replacing as well - I wish I lived in his neighborhood!

Have fun with it. The more you sew the more you will learn. Impreses women, too!

Jim

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    That's fanatastic! I have a beautiful older Singer 99k but no one around me will work on it without charging and arm and a leg (or over $100.00!!).
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    He must be good to get you to go from IN to GA for service.
    Yes he is! No, seriously, I'm visiting with my parents and my mom knows him.

My drive wheel for the bobbin winder neds replacing as well - I wish I lived in his neighborhood!
    Call him (number in my original post) he has them for $0.50 - a whole drawer full of them

As I mentioned in my first post - he worked on my 201 and my moms 844 - all for $47.00.

I did a quick clone of a buff - the dark one is the store bought buff - the blue one is one my mother helped me make. I'm picking her brain for all I can - she's been sewing for 60+ years!
    Boy is this gonna be fun!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Gear driven bliss. I picked up another (very nice) 66-16 and a 192k (singer 99, made in great britain), at a garage sale yesterday. I'm gonna gut the 99 and a 6345 I have that I hate and learn to repair them. And lost biker, you are very welcome.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    That's fanatastic! I have a beautiful older Singer 99k but no one around me will work on it without charging and arm and a leg (or over $100.00!!).
    IMO (which means nothing) $100 or so every couple of years or so is a small price to pay for an indestructible workhorse. All machinery needs to be maintained. But I know the feeling.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Maybe think about it this way -- you have a good sturdy machine, you didn't pay a lot for it, you keep it humming along with a little maintenance every few years, and look at all the great gear you can get from it for just the cost of the materials and the satisfaction of DIY!

My old Singer is model 127 (ca. 1912) with the long torpedo-shaped "vibrating" shuttle. That thing is solid! Amazingly some parts are still obtainable (at great cost). When I got it back in the early '60s it had a motor on it instead of the treadle. I still use it all the time, along with a Bernina from the '70's when I want to make a lot of buttonholes without the clunky attachment. I wish I had a good repair guy or else the service manuals for both of them so I could maintain them better myself. I have the owner's manuals but they just show where to oil and how to use.

Anybody know where I can get repair/service manuals for these? Or know a good place for service in the central NC area? I just moved here and don't know where anything is! I'm so far out in the sticks it takes half an hour to get to the nearest grocery, so distance to get my thread injectors serviced is not a big deal.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    WhollyHamaca, there was a recent post about manuals on a singer forum (on yahoo?) I'll look real quick and post back in a bit.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Here ya go! http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=35521&page=2

You will have to join the group to get the info though.
    Last edited by Lost_Biker; 07-10-2011 at 16:10. Reason: added info

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast