Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing

Hanging out... Indoors!

I'm back... I've got to confess, I have been cheating on this forum. For the past 9 months now, I've been TRYING to restore a 66 mustang, and have spent most of my time in the garage, at work, at school, or on various mustang and car forums. Now I've done as much as I can with the money I have (had.), I'm taking a break from the car, and want to get back to what I love a little more.

Today I wanted to "hang"... The only issue is, the weather is about 95-100 degrees around here, with 75% humidity...

After my first attempt at using an IronGym and a door left me on the floor, I decided on using just 2 doors, and the layout of the 3rd floor makes this task BARELY doable.

After much trial and error, I ended up leaving one whoopie sling attached, and pulled (almost) all the way up. The other side is just the stock rope, and a carabiner.

Each carabiner sits right above the middle hinge on the door, and when the door is shut, the forces are spread over the area of the door jamb and hinges.

The the middle hinges of the doors are EXACTLY 10 feet apart. This barely leaves room for a rather saggy (but comfy!) hammock!

I know it's not THAT exciting, but here are some pictures (taken from my phone, only 3.2 megapixels, so pretty bad quality)

The first 3 are taken from the hallway where the hammock is.

General view:

Anchorage at/in bathroom door

Anchorage in guest room door

View from the other side of door

Checking out the view...
    “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
    -Abe Lincoln

"There is no replacement for displacement" - Unknown

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Not that hot here today but the humidity is 100%. Isn't amazing what we will do to hang.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Not that hot here today but the humidity is 100%. Isn't amazing what we will do to hang.
    Sure is. Now I just need a way to hang in the garage!
    “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
    -Abe Lincoln

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Innovative. I might give it a try.

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    Careful about using door hinges. Ever notice how bigger retail doors use 4 hinges instead of the 3 that are used in houses? Do they really teeter on that little bit of extra weight of a slightly bigger door? I do not know myself but it is enough to keep me away from using door hinges. I don't trust anything I can hit with a sledgehammer and knock off.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Feeling a little less than confident on the hinges as well but points for innovation!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Stop it before you face a major expense from a twisted door frame. Humidity will help that set real nice. If the jack studs warp, your pooch will be screwed for the cost of a framer to come in, too.

Door frames are made for the load of the hollow-core 10 lb (max) doors they come with.

Hanging in the garage? Consider hanging from the rafters, from ropes load near supporting posts or walls, if possible; and with tie-outs to the wall-studs to flatten the curve = extend the ridgeline. A HS level physics textbook with illustrations isn't of much interest, I'm sure, but the examples of complicated rigging should be.

If that sounds ridiculous, you don't understand why riggers make more money than haulers.

But, they know why.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    No rafters in garage... It's already been "finished". Honestly, after 2 separate nights sleeping in the hammock, I let the doors open, and inspected for any signs of damage, but since the doors are flush with the jambs, I think the weight is distributed better, and everything is holding strong, for now.

I'm comfortable hanging from it, but I am only about 6 inches off the floor. Should anything break, I'm pretty sure I'll be capable of fixing it.
    -Abe Lincoln

Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar
    OK so there seems to be a dispute on weather it is safe to hang from the door frame. I am hanging my 265lbs right now, and have been for a couple nights now, with no signs of damage. I was also always told that the door frame was one of the strongest points in the house. isnt it like it sounds, door "frame" meaning studs on both sides? Plus our house was built by an old timer, and Id be willing to bet he didnt skimp on ANYTHING like that. I mean the house was built with hammer and nail, not a nail gun.

Hammock
    Mayan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nc527 View Post
    OK so there seems to be a dispute on weather it is safe to hang from the door frame. I am hanging my 265lbs right now, and have been for a couple nights now, with no signs of damage. I was also always told that the door frame was one of the strongest points in the house. isnt it like it sounds, door "frame" meaning studs on both sides? Plus our house was built by an old timer, and Id be willing to bet he didnt skimp on ANYTHING like that. I mean the house was built with hammer and nail, not a nail gun.
    Door frames are strong, sturdy, and reinforced. But door hinges are not and have load limits. The hinge strength depend on how long those screws securing it into the frame are and the weight limits of those. Unless you have replaced those screws yourself, they generally do not go all the way through the frame studs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast