BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Talking New GT Ultralight Camo

First pitch!

I got it today and it didnt come with any suspension, just the rope thru the seam and the "S" hooks... Went out and spent $40 on suspension stuff @ local outdoors store... Now the hammock has cost me over $60, but I have a much cooler, if a bit heavy suspension system. (webbing / rings / 'beaners)

After taking about 1/2 hour to learn a couple of knots and put everything together via stuff I learned from Grizz's videos, I biked over to a park and was able to hang the hammock (no tarp) in about 1 1/2 minutes!

Finally, I laid down in it sort of diagonally and instantly knew what all the fuss is about.

Looking forward to trying to actually sleep in it as I usually sleep on my stomach, but I was laying in that thing for about 5 minutes and really started to relax and drift... yeow.

I am heading upstate this weekend and can spend the night in the trees behind my friends house... I have a blue tarp to use in the short term, but no bug netting... Maybe I can pick up some Permethrin tomorrow.
    Last edited by Jakerock; 07-06-2011 at 23:15.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Switch it out to whoopies & you'll lighten it up a bunch. Congradulations!

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    dang it should have come with rope suspension. id contact the dealer you bought from. but glad you like it man
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Same thing for me, it was listed "comes with 2 5 foot climbing ropes for suspension" There were none. China as usual, perhaps?
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    The ropes you are missing are no real loss IMO. You still need tree straps (again IMO). The set up you have chosen, straps and descender rings as per Grizz video is a really good, adjustable system.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL, GTUL
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks guys!
    Yeah, I will likely be spending more $$$ on getting the suspension to be more lightweight...
    I have to watch myself though... I am a gear tweaker, and it seems like I am in good company here with y'all!

I guess that switching out the hardware and webbing for lightweight ropes is going to make a big difference in weight... and of course the whoopie slings!

Also want to try the structural ridgeline trick...

Still alot of learning left to do... good times!

Thanks to everyone here on the forums.

EDIT... I am so compulsive> Just ordered stuff @ Arrowhead.
    This is going to be as bad for my wallet as bicycles...
    Last edited by Jakerock; 07-07-2011 at 09:16.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    I went with whoopies for a whole season until I ran into a set of trees that were too close together to accomodate my whoopies (8 foot hammock length + a couple of inches room for marlinspike hitch at the tree + 2 feet minimum whoopie length = 12'6'' minimum hanging distance), switched right back to webbing due to the limitless shortening (lengthening can be accomplished with extenders) - different strokes for different folks.

To lighten up your descender ring weight by half, put only 1 at each end instead of 2. Use the method at 2:00 of this video and you still have all the adjustability and half the weight of the rings.

Nice setup all in all. I have the forest green UL and the blue for my wife for backyard lounging. Great hammock for the price.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL, GTUL
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Man! Thanks very much... the one ring method in that video is fantastic... I just lost 1/2 the weight of those rings! Much appreciated!

Also, I did not know that using whoopies it would be harder to get between tight trees...
    The webbing is definitely really convenient, like I said in an earlier post, I have never had a hammock before and I was hanging in about 1 1/2 minutes.
    Probably wouldn't take much longer after practicing with the other methods though... Who knew hammocks would be such fun?
    Last edited by Jakerock; 07-07-2011 at 10:37.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakerock View Post
    Man! Thanks very much... the one ring method in that video is fantastic... I just lost 1/2 the weight of those rings! Much appreciated!

Also, I did not know that using whoopies it would be harder to get between tight trees...
    The webbing is definitely really convenient, like I said in an earlier post, I have never had a hammock before and I was hanging in about 1 1/2 minutes.
    Probably wouldn't take much longer after practicing with the other methods though... Who knew hammocks would be such fun?
    You will get just as quick at other methods if you end up going another route as you mentioned.

It isn't necessarily harder to get between tight trees, just difficult to get between 2 trees closer than your "shortest hang".

Webbing allows for a shorter hang than whoopies as you only need the length of the hammock + the length of your chainlinks and rings - whereas, whoopies you need the length of your hammock + the whoopie at it shortest adjustment (20-30 inches on both ends).

So for discussion sake -

Webbing "shortest hang" with an 8 foot hammock is 8' + 4 inches on both sides for chainlinks and rings = 8'8"

Whoopie sling "shortest hang" with the same hammock is 8' + 24 inches on both sides for the whoopies + an inch or two on both treestraps for the marlinspike hitch and toggle = 12'2''

So it is the same ease to get both hammocks up between trees that are further apart than 12'2'' - the issues start to arise if you need to hang between trees shorter than that. That's when the whoopies can run you into issues.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7DL, GTUL
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10X10
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks for all of that info!
    I didnt realize that whoopies had such a long minimum length...
    I went and hung it again today in another park here in Brooklyn... actually two.
    A "ranger" in the first park told me that it was against the rules to tie anything to a tree in a city park. ...in the second park, I didnt encounter any "officials".

I tried a temporary structural ridgeline and didnt really see any benefit. Maybe the trees need to be further apart, the hammock itself wider, or maybe I am just not 'getting it'.
    I am curious to know if anyone else uses a ridgeline with the UL.

{EDIT} ...Just read the "weird hang" thread ... I guess I will try a tighter pull on the webbing today...

I really really like the hammock for all that a hammock is supposed to be... Its a chair, recliner, bed... (although when I lay diagonal I have an elbow or my foot coming off the side....) I can see it being VERY pleasant to be more 'out in the open' than in a tent while outdoors. It is the coolest kind of minimalist camping that I have come across.
    Looking forward to trying it for real in the woods this weekend.

Last edited by Jakerock; 07-08-2011 at 09:09.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast