Hammock
    ENO Pronest w/ Continuous Loop
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season 11x10
    Insulation
    MB Bag, Neo-Air
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The way my fiance and I hung our hammocks last time we went out was to put the attachment points on either side of the tree. Facing the "head" tree, my Dutch clip was on the right side of the tree and hers was on the left side. This made it so our hammocks were hanging about a foot apart. The bigger the tree (diameter) the farther apart the hammocks would be. Obviously this wouldn't work too well on a smaller diameter tree.

Neat idea! Let us know how the testing goes... I'm def interested as me and my better half like to take trips together as much as we can.

Hammock
    Gathered End w bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY Hex & Sock
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ TQs
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

4 slings & ridge lines

What about using 4 slings & ridge lines?

Two slings above & two below where you want the spreader bar. Each end of the spreader bar connects to a high & a low sling at roughly 45 degree angle vertically (90 deg if you look from the side) and 60 degrees horizontally (if you looked top down). If you have ridge lines on both hammocks you shouldn't see (much) sag when one occupant gets out since the empty hammock's ridge line would go under tension and keep the full one from sagging and the low sling on the empty side would keep the full hammock from dropping toward the middle.

And you avoid needing poles along the tree.

Ed

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gt7599a View Post
    What about using 4 slings & ridge lines?

Two slings above & two below where you want the spreader bar. Each end of the spreader bar connects to a high & a low sling at roughly 45 degree angle vertically (90 deg if you look from the side) and 60 degrees horizontally (if you looked top down). If you have ridge lines on both hammocks you shouldn't see (much) sag when one occupant gets out since the empty hammock's ridge line would go under tension and keep the full one from sagging and the low sling on the empty side would keep the full hammock from dropping toward the middle.

And you avoid needing poles along the tree.

Ed
    Good thinking Ed! This is actually very close to what this project has evolved into. I did a test hang a few weekends back with six slings on each end, and it worked. Well, it worked okay but not great. It did give me some clarity on where I need to tighten things up and where I need to do things differently. So I'm implementing those changes now. I know I'm getting close! Hope to get a field test test done in the next few weeks. I'll probably start a new thread at that point.

And hey... WELCOME TO HF!!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    i may be wrong but why couldnt one set up their hammock then the other set up theirs above or below like one normally would then lock the spreader bar between the said whoopies to just spread the suspensions apart the trick would be to have a way to LOCK the bar into the said whoopies so as one gets out that the other end of the spreader looses tention it wont fall out now as one gets in or out the other hammock would keep a specified distance " the length of the bar" away at all times. but when someone gets in or out the corresponding hammock will raise or lower slightly but should be minable "approx 6-8 inches " and the larger in diameter tree the less it will be i think that this whole thread is a great idea and im sure that there is multiple ways to do this. another thing is the spreaders would have to be fairly strong depending on the weight of the occupants. and with this style if the occupants are not close to equal in weight then the heavier will sit slightly lower. and as far as the tarp setup you could just do one ridgeline to set the tarp on and then set it up like you normally would but it would have to be wider than normal the length would be the same but would need to be at least 4ft wider "id shoot for 6ft if i was to do this but then again i like more of a covering". and if the hammocks used are the side zippered design then just make sure both of the hammocks are set zipper out. depending on the hammock "footbox or not" you might be hangin head to foot but thats a minor problem.

anyway thanks for reading my idea on this subject

BT

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Copied from another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Timberrr View Post
    These are some preliminary shots from the first field test.

First field test - Set up with Whoopies

Notice the three Whoopie Slings, one going up, and one down and one straight out.

It works, but not as well as I am envisioning.

I can't get the whoopies tight enough once they are under load so I want to switch to straps.
    We just don't have a lot of trees that are big enough and properly spaced to go without the spreader (spacer) bar.
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    Good god, that is a lot of tie-offs.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by streamline View Post
    Good god, that is a lot of tie-offs.
    Timberrr has slimmed down and perfected his suspension since 2011. Sometimes R&D starts with a complicated approach, followed by an "elimination of parts" process.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123