WBBB
    Tarp
    SUPERFLY!!!
    Insulation
    No Sniv & Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyh88 View Post
    Do you remember anything in particular that you changed to make it work?

I can't figure out why the head side is so floppy. It seems that in many hammock pictures, the sides of the hammock kind of wrap up around the user, but for me, the hammock just goes flat/limp on the side leaving my head to fall out of the hammock. I'll keep trying things tomorrow, but it seems no matter how I hang it, I have the same problem.
    Man, I sure hope you get that figured out. I am not at all saying this is the problem, but I'll mention what I had to do on my diy for my daughter. It seemed the same thing happened when we did the gathered end knot style that the Traveler and WBBB use. So I took it apart and hung it like an ENO where the sewn channel is hanging loose on the suspension and it tightens up when you get in it. I wonder if something may have gone wrong with the gathered end? Sounds like it's tight in the middle and loose on outside of the knot, possibly. FWIW, my BB has a superb lay with great support.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    If set up close to identical the BB(1st gen) & Traveler(one season old) both 1.1sl I use lay more or less the same. Both really comfortable. I did fool around with the length of the ridgelines. My foggy memory thinks they are set a bit shorter than the stock length. On the short (5'4") & lighter side (~128#).
    No bug net supporting the hammock body on the Traveler does result in some floppy material at both the head & foot ends.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    I think you're not holding your mouth right.

Seriously, I hope you figure it out.

Hammock
    HH Expedition + ukhammocks Woodsman
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF Mat
    Suspension
    HH Exp. stock
    Have you tried lying the other way around, head up the feet end? Not sure why, but that worked for me recently. As others have said, sometimes small adjustments make a difference. Hope it works out for you.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3/4 Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by griesl View Post
    Sounds like it's tight in the middle and loose on outside of the knot, possibly.
    That sounds pretty accurate. I feel that if the middle fabric of the hammock was looser (or the sides tighter) then it would lay perfectly. I have tried laying in it with my head end higher than the foot end and it seemed kind of awkward.

I'll keep trying things this afternoon and see what happens. I'm going for a hike on Saturday, so I'll bring my Traveler along and try hanging it between trees that are a little further apart than the ones in my yard.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    You may need to experiment with raising the foot end up until the magic spot is located. For me that is 8 to 10 inches higher with the foot end webbing short. The only rule is be comfortable so ignore the wierd angles etc if it feels comfy. I also find that a stuff sack, with clothing in it, attached to the SRL by a Prussik loop works great.

P.S.
    You are so correct about the adjustable webbing suspension...ubber simple to play with and adjust.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Try it upside down. Loosen the amsteel around the gathered end, move them 180 degrees and retighten them. This may help tension the floppy sides since they will be on the underside of the gather.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    the fabric is tight in the middle because it's supporting your weight, it's looser on the sides because it's basically un-weighted.

it sounds like you're laying too diagonal, you don't need to lay as diagonal as you can possibly get. it's common for the feet to be as far right as possible (for the most part), but your torso should be not quite so far to the side. none of you should be past the zipper.

Images
    oh, i see you have the traveler, just try laying with your torso/head several inches away form the edge, and play with the amount to find what feels comfortable

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3/4 Baby Orca IX
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Success at last! I turned the hammock upside down as per the above suggestion and with my first pitch, everything felt great I'm really not sure why it feels so different but it's a lot better. My most comfortable lay ended up being with the foot side just barely higher and with the straps at about a 25 or 30 degree angle. My ridgeline is pretty droopy like this though. I found that laying at less of a diagonal on my back works pretty well, but more diagonal works better for my side/stomach.

Thanks for the help every one! I'm looking forward to trying it out overnight sometime

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast