Two person quilt idea + questions.

I think that for the forseeable future I'll be camping in the tent and I need a light weight, summer option for sleeping. I have a 0 degree winter bag and my son also has a winter bag but in the summer they are just too much, not to mention heavy.

He is 3 and likes to snuggle while we camp which also makes using a bag difficult. I use a 2 man tent with inflatable pads, I was thinking I could make a down quilt that would cover both of us. Here is what I was thinking and I'm hoping to get some advice on size and loft from you guys. I'd like to use this down to the mid 40's if possible but more importantly I don't want to roast when it is in the mid 60's at night.

I'm 5'11" so I thought to make the quilt 6 foot long 72" and 60" wide, at the bottom add a 5" panel 50" wide to make a sort of foot box, it will be open on the bottom but I thought it might help it lay better.

I would want baffles that run width direction, right? I was thinking 1.5-2" of loft so 1.5" baffles? Finally with that little loft how far apart should the baffles be? Will the foot box idea work like I'm thinking or should I just make it longer?

Thanks for any tips, there are lots of great quilts on here, can't wait to get mine finished.

Let me ask another question. If I shoot for 1.5" loft with a mid 40's temp goal, can I do a sew through or do I still need baffles? I was reading over on thru hiker that for 30* and up sew through is fine. This is for summer use, I don't really expect to use it below 40.

Any thoughts?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY 10' x 12' Sil
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie + webbing
    Hammock Gear makes a sewn through Summer Burrow TQ that is listed as good for 45 - 50 deg F. Loft is right in line with what you are planning and their chambers run in the width.

I'm planning to make something similar to what you described. My take on the project is to make a duvet (comforter) for a queen sized bed (80" x 92") using 1.1 ripstop shooting for 1" loft @ 800 fp (sewn through 8" down chambers). In the winter I would put it into a duvet cover for use on a bed and in the summer use it on two person trips as a double TQ with fold under "foot box". Shooting for 27 oz.

Wow that 45-50 degree summer burrow looks like exactly what I have in mind.

Your's sounds like a good idea too, I've thought about making one for the bed.

You said you're shooting for 1 Inch loft. With no baffles will you still use the standard calculation for the down?

Thanks for the reply.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    DIY 10' x 12' Sil
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie + webbing
    Yea, I'm shooting for about 1" of loft on my sewn through. The calculations get pretty hairy though. My design has 8" down chambers 92" long (736 cu in @ 1" loft). I did it this way so I had the ability to shift down to the bottom if I need to combat cold feet syndrome (as a duvet) and I could shift down away from the foot when I fold the bottom over to make a "foot box" (while camping).

There are some design issues to consider with sewn through construction. When you fill the sew through chamber it's shape morphs into a cylinder. My 8" chambers have a max volume of 1871 cu in if it's stuffed to the maximum 5.09" loft (cylinder diameter). The biggest thing to remember is that the more you stuff the chamber then the more it's going to loose chamber width. I did a mockup using paper and 1" loft in an 8" chamber it resulted in around 1/2 in width loss. I expect to loose 5" in the width of the quilt when I fill it because it has 10 chambers.

I ended up deciding to use 1 oz of 800 fp down per 8" x 92" down chamber shooting for slightly more than 1" loft when used as a duvet. I'll shift all the down out of the folded under "foot box" and hopefully get 1.5" loft when camping. After I fill the quilt I'm going to tape the chambers closed to verify my loft calculations. If it looks good then I'll sew the final seam.

I'll call it the Friar Tuck Variable Loft System. LOL!

• + New Posts