Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member AppalachianHammock's Avatar

New idea for tarp waterproofing....

So I recently came across this online, after spending most of the day before huddled under a tree getting soaked, since I was on the river at the time and was without any tarp or shelter.

http://www.bushcraftoutfitters.com/M...arp-coyote.htm

They are out of stock, and since I made my big hammock setup tarp, I figured I would make one my self out of unused material from my last gear hammock. Theres is a 5x7, mine is 4.5x7, and I have the same exact tie outs as the one pictured. For my waterproofing, I decided to use this, since the price of silicone has recently skyrocketed around here for some odd reason. I mean really, almost $6 for a tube of silicone? Last time I bought it was $2. I bought a quart of this for $9, in the satin finish.

http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/...g-polyurethane

I then poured it in a clean litter box, and proceeded to soak the tarp, then stretch out to dry. It already seems dry, and feels kind of plastic-y. My only worry is that the suns UV rays may hurt the coating, as it is sold for interior use on wood. Have any of you guys ever used anything similer for waterproofing? I would hope the soaking would help it out alot.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    My guess is that you're not going to have long-term happiness with this technique.

Wood finishes (polyurethane) are meant for surfaces that are essentially immobile. Yes, wood moves- swells with heat and humidity changes. But it doesn't move like a piece of fabric moves: blowing in the wind, stretched between anchor points, rolled, folded & stuffed.

It is likely that you'll see cracks in the finish, and water will seep through. Flexible finishes (urethane, silicone) tend to work better on tarps rather than stiffer finishes.

And, a $6 tube of silicone properly thinned goes a looooong way if you want to waterproof your own stuff.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    why not just get Silnylon 2nds and get it over with...
    your not going to be happy with the outcome your going to waste money for nothing

in the end your going to end up getting the right stuff and it will have cost you more .....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Curious premise, that the price of silicone caulk had skyrocketed.

At $6 a tube, the undoubtedly unadulterated stuff has gone down in real price since I used lots 30 years ago. By about 2/3, in fact, since acrylic caulk was $2 then and premium silicone was about........$6. The difference is in inflation. There have long been "siliconized" caulks, most of which were no better than the straight acrylics they sought to displace.

That sil-nylon can be home-made with diluted silicone caulk is one wonderful exception to the rule that living chemically requires more than just mixing them or pouring one on.

Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    Curious premise, that the price of silicone caulk had skyrocketed.

At $6 a tube, the undoubtedly unadulterated stuff has gone down in real price since I used lots 30 years ago. By about 2/3, in fact, since acrylic caulk was $2 then and premium silicone was about........$6. The difference is in inflation. There have long been "siliconized" caulks, most of which were no better than the straight acrylics they sought to displace.

That sil-nylon can be home-made with diluted silicone caulk is one wonderful exception to the rule that living chemically requires more than just mixing them or pouring one on.
    Well, It had skyrocketed in my stores. From $2 for 100% silicone GE caulk to $6.

Quote Originally Posted by RootCause View Post
    My guess is that you're not going to have long-term happiness with this technique.

Wood finishes (polyurethane) are meant for surfaces that are essentially immobile. Yes, wood moves- swells with heat and humidity changes. But it doesn't move like a piece of fabric moves: blowing in the wind, stretched between anchor points, rolled, folded & stuffed.

It is likely that you'll see cracks in the finish, and water will seep through. Flexible finishes (urethane, silicone) tend to work better on tarps rather than stiffer finishes.

And, a $6 tube of silicone properly thinned goes a looooong way if you want to waterproof your own stuff.
    Ill see how it fares, if it gets too messed up, I could perhaps soak in paint thinner and try to remove the poly. Or just start over. the material was ripstop type nylon from walmarts $5 for 5 yds.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    I would say that if it doesn't work its dead.
    I know a lot of people use Thompsons Water seal on Canvas with great results.
    But that's a Natural Fiber...

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    If you can't get the Bushcraft 5x7, get the Outdoor Products 5x7 from WalMart (for less than $10.) I'm pretty sure that the floor PU will be too stiff for cloth use.

Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    If you can't get the Bushcraft 5x7, get the Outdoor Products 5x7 from WalMart (for less than $10.) I'm pretty sure that the floor PU will be too stiff for cloth use.
    Yea, It feels kinda like a softened paper. Tomorrow Ill take it down and see how it reacts to stuffing into a sack and or folding it.

Also, about the walmart one, think you could easily sew tabs on it instead of grommets, since they will tear out.
    Last edited by AppalachianHammock; 07-06-2011 at 22:44.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nc527 View Post
    Also, about the walmart one, think you could easily sew tabs on it instead of grommets, since they will tear out.
    In a word, "certainly". Sewing tabs on is very easy. The question is do you remove the grommets first or just leave them on?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast