Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images

Another way to make a hammock

This is a cross-post from my journal, so if you read my journal, you can skip this entry. It may take me a few tries to get the pictures right. EDIT: Ok, what am I doing wrong? These pictures are on my photobucket site, and these links work on my blogger journal... EDIT 2: AS fixed it for me. Thanks. Also fixed the misspelling of Chaplain...

Last week I started weaving a hammock in the hammock shop on post. I'm slow. It will get done, eventually.

First you load the 'needle' that I think is called a shuttle in regular weaving. Specific terms kinda get lost down here. And with me in general. Anyway, this is the needle, and I'm loading it up.

Then you poke, pull and prod the yard through what you have already done. What you see here got unwoven because I made a mistake. I did this part three times, because after I fixed the first mistake and got back to where I'd left off, I found another one lower down.

The gold/red/black hammock behind me I found out that night is being made by the Chaplain. The Universe does have a sense of humor. So far I've only cussed in front of him once. I'm learning to watch my mouth. I guess that is a good thing. He wasn't offended, and may not have actually heard it as I was cussing that it was raining hard just as I was getting ready to leave. Rain on a tin roof is nice, but not so much when there is a half mile walk to the gate.

I'll post progress pictures as I go along. It will be multicolored as I got what yarn was left over from the post's order. I had to buy it myself since I'm a contractor, but I can use the facilities for free. This won't be an ultralight hammock, the yarn weighed 20lbs.
    Last edited by Shadowmoss; 07-04-2011 at 21:16.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Very interesting process. And pics too!
    Thanks for sharing!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    All Hennessy,All Day
    Tarp
    GG12x12,WL OMW
    Insulation
    SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    pretty cool stuff
    Dale Gribble: I'm thinking, "new hammock." For me, laying and swaying in a hammock is like a steady morphine drip without the risk of renal failure.

Randy : yea but just remember yer roots and where ya come from....you got Hennessy in yer blood son......

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Very cool stuff, keep posting please.
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Good to see this type of hammock being made. Nice change of pace from the kinds we usually see on Hammock Forums.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Very cool! Looks like a Mayan hammock you're making. That's really thick cord on your needle!!! I made one like that once so I'm impressed by your handiwork and patience. Took me forever to learn the sprang weave -- I kept crossing the cords the wrong way or missing a space or tangling it. No dexterity here I guess. Finally ended up with a not-too-bad hammock and a LOT of respect for the "real" weavers who did it so fast and made it look easy

I've been knitting a "faux-mayan" hammock with about 4 lb of cotton warp cord, so I'm very interested in your project! My old Mayan is shot and I have no money to buy a new one, but I DO have a stash of weaving/crochet/knitting supplies. Knitting mine because no place yet to plant a couple of posts to set up the warp for a sprang-woven one like yours. If my knitted one seems too stretchy after the first foot or two I'll undo it and crochet it instead. Either way the bed of it will be about 80" square before harness cords, with <1/4" mesh about as close as my old Mayan. Yeah, I know this isn't an artsy-craftsy forum per se - and I'm not trying to hijack your thread -- but it's yet another way to make what I hope will be a decent indoor mayan type hammock. Not authentic like yours, though. Looks like you're making the genuine article. Kudos!

Good luck finishing your hammock! When you're done, maybe you could post a basic how-to for other intrepid folks who might want to give it a try. Your project seems interesting and fun and challenging. Swearing is a necessary part of the process I think Please keep us posted on your progress, and let's see another pic when you're happily relaxing in your new hammock!

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    Very cool, colorful photos! This is exciting.

How long would you estimate that the @7" amount you have completed there takes to weave, assuming you don't take it out to correct mistakes? Do the mistakes cause a weak point, or just a break in the pattern?

Definitely send us more photos to illustrate each new step in the process.

Are you tempted now to go in to weave a few rows after breakfast, during lunch and then before you go home at night?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    The guys who have actually finished one and started a second one way that it take 2 hours per stripe. A stripe is 4 100' lengths of string that is what each 'ball' includes. It takes 9 balls of yarn to make a 'double' hammock. I am more a 1 hour (or more...) per 100' string weaver. That doesn't include taking out for mistakes...

Mistakes cause a 'hole' since I'm wrapping around 3 string vertically and following the wrap below unless I miss one. That is what causes a gap. It's wrap around 3 strings, pull the line straight back once I get to the end, and start again with the next line ending up 1 sting up because of the straight line. I'm not very good with verbal instructions, but I'll just say that I didn't see a way to just 'pick up' a wrap like you can with knitting when you drop a stitch. So, I unraveled. Twice.

I would like to pop in and do a bit here and there. My back would appreciate doing it that way more. However, the shop doesn't open until 1pm, and my lunch is over at 12:30. So after work is the only time, besides weekends, that I can get to my hammock to work on it. After 1 string I start making mistakes, which is why that is all I do at one time. I'll post another picture when I finish the second strip, which is brown. That should be tonight or tomorrow night.

Wholly: The idea of a knitted or crochet hammock is interesting. I'm thinking way too much stretch, but I would like to see what you end up with. I do both knit and crochet, so if you figure it out and I end up sitting in some remote location (there's a good chance of that actually) I may try that next.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Nice job shadowmoss! Looking forward to more pics
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    long and wide
    Tarp
    big green diy
    Insulation
    faux baffled CDTs
    Suspension
    wing and prayer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post

Wholly: The idea of a knitted or crochet hammock is interesting. I'm thinking way too much stretch, but I would like to see what you end up with. I do both knit and crochet, so if you figure it out and I end up sitting in some remote location (there's a good chance of that actually) I may try that next.
    Yes, I'm thinking maybe too stretchy, too, but since it's a wanna-be Mayan style it's good if it stretches a lot across but not in length, kind of like a sweater does (but not so closely stitched as that). When it's done I'll pre-stretch it wet & weighted and then hang it with a lot of sag like a traditional Mayan. I've only done about 8 inches long so far, so I still have a gazillion rows left to go, 80-some inches wide on a long #4 cable. I hope with the weight of cotton cord I'm using (about like 2 bedspread-weight threads wrapped together) it will be about as stretchy crosswise as a thin-string Mayan (but without that nice sprang weave). If it comes out OK I'll let you know what worked and what didn't. May be a while, since I can only work on it a little every night. You'll probably be kicking back in yours long before then!

That's got to be hard on your back, weaving your hammock! You're faster than I was when I did it. I made a lot of mistakes at first, too. Took forever just to get across one row and back again, but my cord was a lot thinner than yours (masochist here). Still, I'd rather be doing one like yours than my fake one! You've inspired me to put up a couple of posts and give it another go.

By the way, how will you get yours off the posts when you're done? I couldn't see any way to release the ends in your photos. It looks like a good set-up there. I had to do mine outside on big 4x4 posts in the ground.

I wish you great success and look forward to seeing your next posts as you progress toward completion and the satisfaction of resting on your laurels!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast