WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by ctchrisf View Post
    Ok here is a starter, What kinds of ropes should I look for. I don't want to end on my butt in the middle of the night, And I'm not the best with knots. I generally figure it out in the end but easy to tie would be good. (figure 9 thing sounds good). how much should i look to pay ?

I like the reflective lines and shock cord ideas.
    think I saw a 100' of reflective 1/4" para cord for 20 bucks. is that a deal or expensive?

Got some work to do.
    A couple rope notes. In General:
    Nylon stretches a lot under load, then returns to original length when unloaded. (Good for climbers- prevents sudden stops at the end of a fall.)

Polyester stretches a lot when first loaded, but doesn't return to original length. (Good for hammock straps.)

Dyneema/Spectra/Vectran/Amsteel/Dynaglide are all variations of materials that essentially have no stretch, but high strength. In bigger diameters, these may also have high prices. But usually really worth it in these applications. For us hammockers, sufficient strength comes in 7/64" and 1/8" flavors. (Generally in the 20-40 cents per foot range.)

$20 for 100' of paracord is 20 cents/foot. That's fine for paracord, but paracord is not usually used for load-bearing hammock applications. It stretches a lot, and may not have sufficient strength to hold a human. It works for tarps & guy lines if the stretch doesn't bother you.

Figure 9's rock for tarp ridgeline tieouts. I paid less than $5 each. Mini-figure-9s come in 4 packs for tarp corner tie-outs, I suppose, but many people find they can tie a tautline hitch once in each tarp corner rope and then never have to untie it. HYOH....

Welcome to the party!

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    fig-9s are not 'climbing rated' ie do not trust them with your full weight; if you use carabiners, or descender rings, to suspend your hammock -get them from a climbing/outfitter shop, not the hardware store- a few more $ but sooooooo worth it to keep you keister off the dirt.
    just a word of (hard won) wisdom. KM (who has had a couple of dicey moments, but only once each!)

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    In my humble opinion $300.00 is more than enough to set yourself up very comfortably for hammock camping. Peruse the pages here and you will find all sorts of ideas.
    Terry

Hammock
    underquilt
    Tarp
    roomy, no guy line
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    56' of straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ctchrisf View Post
    Hrmmm sheet and rope for first hammock huh? And a cheapo fly screen, 12x16 blue tarp ? where do you buy raw materials to make a basic tent?
    The bedsheet is just for fun, at home, to see what you can do. It weighs too much to take backpacking, and your wife probably wouldn't like it. But it's simple with a sheet bend, the bedsheet is the blue rope. That way you can experiment with just gathering the end, folding first then gathering, etc.

So far I've bought all my material at Wal-Mart. Most of it was a buck a yard, and I just picked up some stuff that was about 5 yards for $2.50 total. It's good for experimenting without dumping cash. After you've figured out exactly what you want, then you can order the good stuff. I'm not there yet.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

great info.

I have about 30 tabs open with research and shopping to do.

thanks a bunch, now to get sorting through this and pick something to start with.
    2002 Kawi Concours

North East rider
    Yankee Beemer

Yet to hang

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12