Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing

Thru Hiking the AT 2011

Hi all,

I just completed the 100 mile wilderness and thought I'd put up a post with a link to my journal while I have a net connection.

http://Postholer.Com/journal/viewJou...&event_id=1023

Just started hammocking this year and decided to hang for my thru hike of the AT. So far, it is working quite well. We have found easy enough places to hang and am enjoying the comfort. I am hoping the next 2000 miles continue as well.

Big thanks to this forum and the helpful people here. I wouldn't be sleeping so good if it weren't for you folks.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Good read...you're in my Favorites. Look forward to checking on your progress. You seem very well prepared...I'd say your chances are quite high of making it.

Good luck, Miguel

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I wish you two a wonderful and safe journey. The gear looks good and can't wait to read more of your adventures.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Things continue well. we have completed a bit over 300 miles of the journey. Our gear endured a hail (pea size) storm up on the Bigelo Mtns in Maine a couple weeks ago, and the .5 oz cuben held up fine. Most folks are amazed at how well we stay dry in the rain while hammocking.

Only gear mod to either of our hammock rigs is my tarp ridgeline. I was using the Zline that is a non braided type line, and it broke down after daily wrapping around the dutch bone. I switched over to a ridgeline that I got from Dutch and that has been working well. I still use the non braided Zline for the tie outs and don't expect to encounter the same issues, but time will tell....will be setting up the hammocks nearly daily from now till at least November.

Setup speed has increased and I have to say that the prussik knot (which we use for tie-outs as well as connecting the tarp to the continuous ridgeline) is one uber-handy knot....quick to use, quick to make and very reliable.

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    MJB w/DIY doors
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopie hks
    Just read over your journal and signed your guestbook Godspeed and enjoy the journey
    Peace
    Gris

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Fascinating journal. I will look forward to following this trip.
    Several things caught my fancy, pic of sunset over the lake, kamikazi grouse, listening to the loons call while you write, just to name a few.
    I'm sure years from now, you two will look back on this as a highlight of your lives.

swampfox
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock UL Backpacker
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11&HH
    Insulation
    JRB Nest&ORagMtn
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

good work

am enjoying your postholer journal and your youtube vids. you guys seems to have a good system figured out. am especially interested in the nano 7 as an ultralight hammocking system. i'm 5'7" and 173lbs and wondering if that would accommodate my heft. looking to do my first hike of magnitude this fall in the desert southwest and would love to get as light as possible.

what kind of shoes are you guys wearing? with all the wet and mud?

"may the tread be clear, the footfall light, and the destination evolving!"

b
    Things fall apart, the centre will not hold

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    be careful in this heat guys!
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 yd/sq oz Basic Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    UL Webbing
    Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Quote Originally Posted by bubbyman View Post
    am enjoying your postholer journal and your youtube vids. you guys seems to have a good system figured out. am especially interested in the nano 7 as an ultralight hammocking system. i'm 5'7" and 173lbs and wondering if that would accommodate my heft. looking to do my first hike of magnitude this fall in the desert southwest and would love to get as light as possible.

what kind of shoes are you guys wearing? with all the wet and mud?

"may the tread be clear, the footfall light, and the destination evolving!"

b
    Hi bubby...I think the Nano 7 may squeeze your shoulders at that weight..it is narrow, and you would feel it. Length wise, it would probably be fine. My suggestion would be to get some 1.1 or 1.5 oz/sq yd stuff that is close to 60" and make your own. Get some whoopies and make your own webbing tree straps and you will still most likely be under 10 or 11 oz, and have something far more comfortable. You will want to replace the suspension stuff that comes with the Nano 7 anyways..you will have a better rig this way. I believe the Nano 7 is 1.1 oz ripstop, so you would just be gaining a little weight by adding the width, and maybe some length. My wife, who is using the Nano 7 is significantly lighter, by the way.

I wear trail runners that are not waterproof. Because we are walking in areas where it is very wet or walking in the rain all day, wet shoes/feet are unavoidable, even with Goretex..so, I use a shoe that will dry quickly.

I recently got back from my NOBO thru (I don't think I met you guys though...) and I had no problems finding spots to hang. I'm sure you've heard this a million times, but you'lll be cruising after the Whites. Best of luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast