Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A few questions from a new hanger

Heyo all!
    First off seems like a wonderful community here, glad to join it.

Obviously looking at getting a hammock, and the WBBB seems to be the way to go. I'm just having problems with a few decisions (as it seems many have, it's hard when all the options seem great!)

So I'm a pretty light guy, about 145-150lbs, 5' 10" and I'm trying to decide between the single or double 1.1. I know I'll be fine weight wise in either, I guess comfort would be the biggest issue. It seems like the double would also be nice if I ever wanted to add a pad, since those look to be wayyyy cheaper than UQ's.

Next up, tarps seem to be quite necessary. Is this something I can go cheap on, and that I want to buy through Warbonnet? The Asym-Diamond seems like it would be fine, or are there better (or equivalent / cheaper) options?

Finally does suspension type matter much? Can they both be used in any situation? Or is one super difficult to set up?

I'm sure that most of this is answered around the forums somewhere, but after much searching I feel like the best way to get an answer, is to ask directly. Plus I figure this is the easiest way to introduce myself to the community.

Cheers, and thanks in advance!

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    First off, do you plan to be backpacking where weight would be an issue or car camping where its not? If backpacking I say go for the 1.1 single, I'm 185ish and I have a 1.1 single traveler, 1.0 dbl blackbird and 1.1 dbl blackbird and I wish I had the 1.1 single blackbird. It does stretch a bit for me but I find it plenty comfortable and hve no issues with should squeeze. I got the 1.1dbl because it was black and I was unsure of the single at that point. I got the single traveler because it was black and figured at worse it'll be great for my girlfriend, then I got the 1.0 because it was cheaper, I was also worried about the 1.1 single stretch at my weight affecting the way the net hangs, not I'm pretty sure it would be fine. Also, I baby my hammocks badly and wanted another blackbird I wouldn't freak out mentally if it accidently touched the ground.

With tarps I prefer more coverage than an asym, I'd say its a 2.5 season tarp. The hex tarps are 3 season, and the winter tarp with doors is 4 season. That being said, the superfly is the most versatile. For reasons of weight and coverage, I'd say the edge is the perfect 3 season tarp. I don't own one but do have a maccat standard that is a tad bit smaller and feel the same about it. I have seen a few edge tarps set up though. I do have the superdly and love it. But most situations its overkill, but it is nice knowing I set for all conditions with it.

The adjustable webbing is much easier to work with and adjust. I prefer whoopie slings as they're lighter and the same adjustability if not better. Of course those aren't an option to start with. If you plan on swapping out for them, get the line and strap suspension since it comes with 6' tree straps.

Hammock
    Eno DL, Deep Jungle XL, Kammock Roo
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ quilts!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopies and web
    welcome to hammocks anonymous! a few small observations from someone whos been in a WBBB 1.7 DBL for about 30 minutes total.

the first BB i got had the web/buckle setup, and yeah, it was easy. the on i have now has the line strap stuff, and havent had a chance to fiddle with that yet. it is a touch more complex (but just a little. repeat: line on knot, not on toggle!)

i also have ENO DN's and in comparison to the material, the WBBB that ive used is a little hotter just because of the "heavier" DWR material and 2 layers.

AND!!! this just in. i was lucky to be able to pick up a Superfly from WB as well, and i must say im totally happy with it, even tho it is huge! where i live, we have basically 3 seasons and the SF may be a bit overkill, but i had these reasons:

1) I was deciding between the BMJ and the SF and for the price difference i opted for the doors so i wouldnt have any expense later on
    2) I like privacy at times, and the SF offers it (especially if youre at public camp sites.)
    3) itll cover my butt and then some when its up, plus itll be a great "party" tarp
    4) its not that much weight and itll work with just about any hammock i use in the future, be it WBBB ENO or what have you.

so i spent the little extra and it REALLY pays off with that. weighs less than the cheap stuff and packs smaller.
    Give a man fire and he's warm for the night.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life. Dante

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    When it comes to tarps I always say, why not go for the biggest with the most coverage, and the extra ounces won't break your back in the mean time. No room for error and you can enjoy all seasons. And let's face it, you're going to buy more, probably sooner than you'd think.

Thinking about it more. Especially for a newb, I am still one, using knots for suspension may be great for learning, but you may end up spending an hour setting up your hammock just right. Talk about frustrating especially when you have to set up a tarp with 12 ties outs right after. I'd go with the webbing or switch to whoopies if you decide to go with the line and strap.

Sorry for such long and multiple post.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    It sounds like you're on the budget end of hammocking, which is great; a lot of us start there, but as REV hints at, the obsession can become un-cureable.

For people starting out, especially if you have little experience camping In a hammock, I recommend trying out a hammock from a friend or HF member, or buying an inexpensive hammock from ENO, Grand Trunk, or other retailer. While rare (i think) there are a few folks who never quite find a sweet spot and abandon hammocks. Of course, a WBBB has great resale value.

As you said, tarps on the cheap are easy to come by, and one good deal is the guide gear 12x12 tarp that you can often find online for $30. The blue closed-cell foam pads at walmart for $6 work great, and a couple of them can get you down to some cold temps when used correctly.

Warbonnet has some great, great gear, and you won't go wrong there for tarp, quilts, or hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Single 1.1. It's all you need at your weight and I doubt will stretch much at all. So, from a comfort standpoint, you won't gain anything with the double IMO. If you want to use a pad, then the double layer is very handy. Pads work just as well in a single layer, it just isn't nearly as convenient.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herod View Post
    ...if I ever wanted to add a pad, since those look to be wayyyy cheaper than UQ's.
    There are reasons for that.

I have one of Warbonnet's Diamond Aysm tarps and like it. The only real issue I have with it is that to get a really tight pitch (which I like), you really need to use a full ridgeline with the tarp (which I don't like). If it doesn't bother you, if fact some folks prefer a full ridgeline, then it's a great tarp. It gives plenty of coverage with some fiddle room to spare and affords some nice views from the hammock. But, if weight isn't a concern, there are gobs of tarps out there for less than $15 at Walmart and the like that will serve their purpose quite well. Loud, heavy, and not pretty, but they will keep you dry.

Go all old school and use webbing and rings. I've tried them all, but keep going back to the old standard. Very, very, very easy to use and a strong track record of reliability. Not the lightest, nor the heaviest option; they are somewhere in the middle. Like Goldilocks said, "Just right".

Good luck and have fun shopping!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Heyo all!
    First off seems like a wonderful community here, glad to join it.
    Herod, Welcome!

Obviously looking at getting a hammock, and the WBBB seems to be the way to go. I'm just having problems with a few decisions (as it seems many have, it's hard when all the options seem great!)
    As many have said, you can't go wrong with one. But if you can find your way to a group hang, you could try out some different ones first (I ended up buying them to try).

So I'm a pretty light guy, about 145-150lbs, 5' 10" and I'm trying to decide between the single or double 1.1. I know I'll be fine weight wise in either, I guess comfort would be the biggest issue. It seems like the double would also be nice if I ever wanted to add a pad, since those look to be wayyyy cheaper than UQ's.
    You'll be comfortable in either. If you need the weight savings (maybe 3 or 4 oz), or you camp in hot weather all the time, then get the single. If you want to use a CCF pad and not have it move around all of the time, get a double. I found that my WBBB double bottoms are warmer than my ENO single layer fabric by quite a bit. You can camp for years without getting a UQ. But once you get more money, you'll get the bug to upgrade.

Next up, tarps seem to be quite necessary. Is this something I can go cheap on, and that I want to buy through Warbonnet? The Asym-Diamond seems like it would be fine, or are there better (or equivalent / cheaper) options?
    You can start with a relatively cheap tarp like a Kelty. Upgrade when you get more money. I like the most coverage I can get; a Superfly.

Finally does suspension type matter much? Can they both be used in any situation? Or is one super difficult to set up?
    Both can be used. I like the ease of the webbing suspension system, especially for someone new to using a hammock. Very versatile and adjustable. You can later go all out with Whoopies and rings and prussics and whatever else you want (but, again more money to spend).

Hope this helps...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB, HG + Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Single 1.1. It's all you need at your weight and I doubt will stretch much at all. So, from a comfort standpoint, you won't gain anything with the double IMO. If you want to use a pad, then the double layer is very handy. Pads work just as well in a single layer, it just isn't nearly as convenient.

There are reasons for that.

I have one of Warbonnet's Diamond Aysm tarps and like it. The only real issue I have with it is that to get a really tight pitch (which I like), you really need to use a full ridgeline with the tarp (which I don't like). If it doesn't bother you, if fact some folks prefer a full ridgeline, then it's a great tarp. It gives plenty of coverage with some fiddle room to spare and affords some nice views from the hammock. But, if weight isn't a concern, there are gobs of tarps out there for less than $15 at Walmart and the like that will serve their purpose quite well. Loud, heavy, and not pretty, but they will keep you dry.

Go all old school and use webbing and rings. I've tried them all, but keep going back to the old standard. Very, very, very easy to use and a strong track record of reliability. Not the lightest, nor the heaviest option; they are somewhere in the middle. Like Goldilocks said, "Just right".

Good luck and have fun shopping!
    Ditto everything that Cannibal said. Beyond that, we'd really need to know about your usage: backpacking or other. If the former, is it UL or just casual. Of course, UL (ultra-light) will cost more, generally speaking.
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 Double Layer
    Big Mamajamba Sil
    20D Black Mamba, 40D Burrow, 20D Phoenix
    DIY Whoopies and straps

Wow, thanks for seriously huge number of replies. Seems like a super helpful community here. Also sorry the delay on my response, it's been a hectic week and I just didn't think of checking back in.

I guess the biggest question you've had is how I'll be using it. I do a lot of biking, which is kind of what got me into the whole hammock thing. I do a lot of long distance day trips, but I'm looking to change that to include some multi-day trips. So I'd say weight is a decent issue. I'd also like to get into some backpacking, but don't have much experience with that as of yet.

So based on that it's looking like the 1.1 Single would be the way to go. As much as I'd love to try one of these babies out before throwing down the cash, I don't actually know anybody else in the hammock scene.

What are whoopie slings by the way? Would they be the best option for ties?

Also you've all definitely sold me on aiming for a bigger tarp. I don't think I'll be complaining about an extra 5oz when It'll be keeping me nice and dry. Might check to see what REI has in the way of tarps too, I've still got my dividend to blow this year (not sure how it's taken me this long to spend!)

@REV
    You wouldn't happen to be from Charleston, IL would you?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Herod,

Check out Shug's videos (#1 thru 10), he answers a lot of your questions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZV...feature=relmfu

Whoopies are a lightweight/compact version of hanging straps (really strong, really small diameter rope). Saves space and weight.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast